Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2022, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
I converted 10V Record bar ends to DT.
They’ll click through about 15V if you let ‘em.
I’ll try them with an 11V RD and report.
I’ve been looking for a set of those.
Old 10-25-2022, 06:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganDave View Post
Hey all - came across this thread in my own (failed) efforts to upgrade my drivetrain.

Had been eyeing the Centaur 11 shifters, only Campy shifters I can order currently in Victoria, BC, and put out an ISO for Campy parts, and a friend messaged he had an 11sp Chorus derailleur, so I got my shop to order the shifters, put it all together and boo..

At first I thought I had been sent 12sp by accident, as there was an 'extra' click. Then I realized it's just jumping a whole sprocket. (Leaving an extra 'click' either at the top or bottom, depending on cable tension.)

Started doing some reading, and then also learned there's pre- and post-2015 Campy 11sp. FFS. The derailleur is pre-2015. (Not that it matters in this instance.)

And then I saw that Centaur isn't compatible with anything else. And I can't get a Centaur rear mech anywhere - ironically I got a notification a few days ago from CRC that it was back in stock, and visited the page minutes later, but I guess I missed it.

So...trying to find out what other options I have. I came across this chart that lists shifter pull lengths, etc, etc:

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-...compatibility/

You can see some mixing and matching is possible. Guessing it refers to pre-2015, but doesn't help a ton with more modern shifters but it's a step.

So bottom line is: is there another derailleur that could work decently with Centaur 11? Thanks for any advice!!!
Is the Chorus you tried a re-2015(Chorus)?..if yes, try a post 2015 one.

The guts of Centaur 11s is the same as Centaur 10s, Powershift, just an extra 'click in the soothes cog and toothed bushing in front..same takeup spool.
Old 10-25-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

The guts of Centaur 11s is the same as Centaur 10s, Powershift, just an extra 'click in the soothes cog and toothed bushing in front..same takeup spool.
Yup, the one I had was a post-2015. (I've given it back to my friend, swapped to an old 10sp Chorus, apparently they have about the same pull ratios and 'works' similarly.)

Oh interesting about the pull, that's kind of good to know.. Not having much luck finding any 11sp, but will keep an eye out. If that's the case, are there any other brands of rear mechs that are compatible with current 11sp? Like if I had Chorus 11sp shifters, is there a Shimano or SRAM rear derailleur that would work okay?
Old 10-26-2022, 04:19 AM

Quote:

The only properly compatible RD for Centaur11 shifters, is the Centaur11 RD. It is a standalone system in the Campagnolo 11s universe.

If you have availability of a SR2015->, RE2015-> or CH2015->, or Potenza 11s RD, then you could substitue a Potenza RH shifter body EC-PO400
Old 10-26-2022, 02:07 PM

Having trouble locating any Campy 11sp rear mechs locally or online..which is why I'm wondering if there might be another brand that fill in. (Well, there's SR 11sp at a supplier, but I'm not shelling that out for my CX bike..esp if it's not going to be 'perfect' shifting!)

I'm not quite following on the Potenza, do you mean I'd need to swap the shifter as well? (Or shifter guts?)
Old 10-26-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
I’ve been looking for a set of those.
They appear identical to the Synchro 2's, but for the insert. The insert may be more available than the actual Record 10 shifters, and I'd imagine the Synchro 2 shifters more available, as well.

If you do find the Record 10 bar ends, simply (carefully) take off the rubber covers and you'll see the engraving, etc. You'll need NR or SR backing plates from the old friction levers, and you'll need to set your inner/outer RD adjustments to avoid shifting to infinity and beyond.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganDave View Post
Having trouble locating any Campy 11sp rear mechs locally or online..which is why I'm wondering if there might be another brand that fill in. (Well, there's SR 11sp at a supplier, but I'm not shelling that out for my CX bike..esp if it's not going to be 'perfect' shifting!)

I'm not quite following on the Potenza, do you mean I'd need to swap the shifter as well? (Or shifter guts?)
Potenza rear der has to be matched to a Potenza shifter, I guess same as Centaur 11 needs to be matched to Centaur 11s shifter. I gotta say, after looking at the guts of all of these, not sure what makes the Centaur 11s guts unique to the point of needing ONLY a Centaur 11s rear der. The takeup spools sure look identical, which is what would determine how far the der moves with each 'click'. BUT, after leaving the trenches, I have only mucked with the 3 top tier groups...I have OVH 2018 and older PowerShift levers but no conversions. Many 11s OVH, UltraShift but almost all were loose bolts or trying to fix somebody else's muck up(like taking them apart, scratching their heads, throwing all the stuff in a zip-lock and sending to me)...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-27-2022 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:24 PM

Blarg such a nuisance! I wonder if the shortage has to do with Campy not making any more (which seems to be the case with their other 11sp gear, at least with Canadian suppliers), or if there'll just be a delay? Would be happy to purchase if anywhere had one!

Still willing to try something from another brand if the ratios line up fairly close.. Since the 11sp pre-2015 Chorus I acquired didn't work great, I returned it to my friend, and am running a 10sp Chorus that was on there (which works pretty much the same as the 11sp.) Unfortunately it's quite old and has been through a lot of CX races and the return spring on lower hanger is pretty weak/slow, so when not in the biggest rings it can jump...weeee!
Old 11-14-2023, 08:25 PM

Hey all - updating this thread - never had any luck with 11sp Centaur shifters and the 11s Record rear mech.

Ended up getting an 11sp Centaur der, and of course works fine!

Until this weekend, where it was torn off in a CX race... I hadn't noticed before, but the part of the body holding it to the hanger is composite, and apparently isn't particularly durable. =(

(I've been racing CX since 2006, on Campy pretty much the whole time, I've never torn off a rear mech prior to this! I'm fairly careful with my shifting when mucky.)

So I'm reluctant to get another Centaur mech (would be fine on the road, etc..)

Saw earlier in the thread a 9sp Shimano mech works with the other 11sp, but I'm guessing I'm not going to have much luck with this, eh?

Any other rear mech ideas that could work with 11sp Centaur shifters? 🤔

I've got an old SRAM 9sp MTB mech, gonna throw it on just to see...haha
Old 11-15-2023, 01:15 AM

I am running a 10speed Record Ergopower with a SRAM exact actuation rear derailleur (actually I used a mod kit to turn a SRAM Eagle rd into an exact actuation rd) and an Aliexpress/Shimano compatible cassette. That is a tried and tested setup of many tinkerers. Since the 11speed Ergopower and the 10speed Ergopower have very similar cable pull ratios and (2.8 vs 2.6) and the same derailleur ratio that combination might work with the former, too...
Old 11-15-2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdh View Post
I am running a 10speed Record Ergopower with a SRAM exact actuation rear derailleur (actually I used a mod kit to turn a SRAM Eagle rd into an exact actuation rd) and an Aliexpress/Shimano compatible cassette. That is a tried and tested setup of many tinkerers. Since the 11speed Ergopower and the 10speed Ergopower have very similar cable pull ratios and (2.8 vs 2.6) and the same derailleur ratio that combination might work with the former, too...
That combination sounds very interesting. I know nothing about SRAM. When you say SRAM exact actuation rear, what do you mean? Model, etc.
I’m interested in this combo if I can increase my cog size with Campy 10 shifters and run cheap shimano type cassettes.
Old 11-15-2023, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Potenza rear der has to be matched to a Potenza shifter, I guess same as Centaur 11 needs to be matched to Centaur 11s shifter. I gotta say, after looking at the guts of all of these, not sure what makes the Centaur 11s guts unique to the point of needing ONLY a Centaur 11s rear der.
I think it all comes down to the drooped thumb lever (which I love)
But just thinking out loud that droop surely means less throw inside
Also why only one gear per click ...
Which again I actually love because truthfully you can fire off 3-4 clicks so fast it doesn't matter to me & its so accurate never an unintentional over shift
Old 11-15-2023, 05:01 PM

VeganDave - Let me know if you still have the 11speed Record Rear deraileuer, please.

Thank you
Old 11-15-2023, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5182 View Post
That combination sounds very interesting. I know nothing about SRAM. When you say SRAM exact actuation rear, what do you mean? Model, etc.
I’m interested in this combo if I can increase my cog size with Campy 10 shifters and run cheap shimano type cassettes.
Hey Scott: I stumbled over this configuration during a lengthy internet search. Without boring you with my motivation to run a 1x10speed Campagnolo setup, here's the gist of my research and tinkering: The cable pull of a Campagnolo 10speed ergopower in combination with a SRAM Exact Actuation rear derailleur leads to a sprocket pitch that corresponds with the sprocket width of a Shimano 10 speed cassette. This is purely coincidental.
Maybe not the first, but the one with the best reputation to make that claim, was Lennard Zinn from Outside online. The problem is the SRAM Exact Actuation rear derailleur. You need an Exact Actuation and NOT X-Actuation rd. They have different cable pulls. My understanding is that all SRAM Eagle rd have X-Actuation cable pull. It is also my understanding that all SRAM road groups still have Exact actuation cable pull, whilst MTB groups changed from Exact to X with the introduction of the 10speed components. Not sure about the latest groups, but they might be all electronic (at least the higher tiers). Exact information (pun intended) about Exact Actuation and X-Actuation is hard to come by on the SRAM website, though.
Anyways, there is a company called Ratio Tech in the UK that sells a mod kit to change the cable pull of an X-Actuation rd to that of an Exact Actuation. Basically, you only need to swap the cable fin to one with a slightly different shape. (took me 5min to do that; it's really easy) As a bonus they'll send you a cable adjuster for the rd which SRAM doesn't provide for their derailleurs. However, you need at least a GX or higher rd since the lower tier rds have the fin bolted on and not screwed, hence cannot be swapped. I am reasonably sure it will work with all rds, regardless of 8, 9, 10, 11, or 12speed. Since they are not indexed, it shouldn't matter.
The disadvantage is, that with an eagle rd you can't run a 2x setup.
IMHO VeganDave has a good chance that his setup with a SRAM 9 speed rd will work; it certainly would with a 10speed Campa Ergopower; it might with 11speed, too. He'll need, however, a different rd, i.e. one that allows for a 2x setup. I recently bought a SRAM X5 10speed long cage rd. The plan is to combine this with an old triple tune big foot 24/32/48 and Campa 10speed ergopowers and Shimano/AliExpress 10speed cassette 11-36 for xc randonneuring. I think VeganDave has at least a decent chance to make his 9speed rd work in a setup similar to this; provided it's an Exact Actuation rd...
As regards 10speed Shimano cassettes: not sure what one can buy these days but I think the largest offering from Shimano is 11-46. 11-52 Shimano compatible 10speed cassettes are available from the usual Chinese companies. I think they're acceptable quality. (and they're really affordable - I buy for around 10 USD)
I think this is as far one can go these days: 1x up to 52teeth and 2x up to 36teeth max cassette. (and in combination with a wolf tooth maybe 40/42)
Hope that helps.

Last edited by tdh; 11-15-2023 at 08:00 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 11-16-2023, 05:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5182 View Post
BITD, when Campagnolo made the 'Escape', 'Xenon' type 10s shifters in 2007/8, if you mated those to a sram 10s road rear der, these WOULD shift shimano 10s spacing.
Lennard Zinn brought over a rig with that and it did indeed shift shimano 10s spacing. Red, Rival, Force of the day...I'd 'guess' 2011+, PowerShift shifters would too(Centaur/Veloce), with a sram 10s rear der. Don't know about 11s.

I guess right above is saying the same thing..didn't read it all..gotta go..

Tags
campagnolo, compatibility, interchangeability