Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2017, 09:51 PM

I guess we will have to wait and see, but if he isn't sick and it was just a one time thing, I think he can still win this thing, even if he comes into the TT a minute down he should still be able to win.
Once he took care of business he rode really strong, so it doesn't look like he totally cracked.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:57 PM
Classics Fan

that's a big effort to come back from in the coming days. I didn't catch the whole stage, and tuned in after the Dumoulin Dump. How much of his losses happened during the time he was stopped vs. once he was back on the bike?

I'm not sure if this is just an inopportune timing, or if it was a stomach bug or what... but he looked strong before the rest day. I'm hopeful he comes out the rest of this week and rides as strong as he was looking before today.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:09 PM

About 1/2 was the actual stop and about 1/2 was while riding, but keep in mind that he was riding alone for a very long time, while the rest of the guys were pretty much riding with other people the whole time, so it's like comparing a TT to a RR in a sense, and another thing (from watching), is that he didn't "look" weak, he kept on catching a passing dropped riders the whole way.
And keep in mind that tomorrow is supposed to be a day for the sprinters so that kind of gives him an extra day to recover.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:15 PM

All I know after reading this is that we need more Elefantino updates from the Giro.....where's the new thread?!

Any it's not lost on me that your banana avatar is now pink.....chapeau.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
About 1/2 was the actual stop and about 1/2 was while riding, but keep in mind that he was riding alone for a very long time, while the rest of the guys were pretty much riding with other people the whole time, so it's like comparing a TT to a RR in a sense, and another thing (from watching), is that he didn't "look" weak, he kept on catching a passing dropped riders the whole way.
it's almost fair to say that on the stage, he could've been number one, had he not been going number two. yeah, Tommy D certainly wouldn't have been dropped, had he not been dropping some D's.

(ok, I'll stop.)

seriously though, it was predicted he'd really start to struggle in the high mountains. and whether it was "I really can't let it go like this" after the incident, willing him forward, or that he's just that strong... we don't know.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:29 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
it's almost fair to say that on the stage, he could've been number one, had he not been going number two. yeah, Tommy D certainly wouldn't have been dropped, had he not been dropping some D's.

(ok, I'll stop.)

seriously though, it was predicted he'd really start to struggle in the high mountains. and whether it was "I really can't let it go like this" after the incident, willing him forward, or that he's just that strong... we don't know.
TJvG in the break, 10 minutes..30km to go..good day yesterday also..maybe he was sick?
Old 05-24-2017, 09:31 AM

Well this is the thing, even if he was sick, they wont tell... so who knows.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
:d
Old 05-24-2017, 09:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Cycletips article on Dumoulin's 'issue' yesterday and race 'etiquette'..

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/05/cont...wait-gc-rival/
Old 05-24-2017, 10:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Can('t)nondale finally gets a win..
Old 05-24-2017, 10:28 AM

True. And bmc looked pretty good today eh?
Old 05-24-2017, 04:23 PM
50 bpm

Today we found out about Italian traffic. Namely, a) when the Italian road crews close a road that’s on the way to your start destination, you have to go over a mountain on a road that’s barely wide enough for your van and you arrive late to your start, and b) when the authorities close the tunnel that goes directly through the mountain to your destination, you have to take a two-hour detour along with every other Giro vehicle. Oh well, first-world problems, right?

The climb today was the Tonale, the first climb of the route and a Cat. 1. The back was acting up a bit today, a casualty of riding on a bike not meant or fitted for me, but it was a pretty climb nonetheless.

Because of our detour we started only an hour ahead of the race with a 33k mostly uphill ride to the summit. Didn’t have time to take many pix because I was alone and hammering to avoid the Polizia, who were sweeping riders off the road below. I actually got swept off at one point with 3k to go, but when the moto cop disappeared ahead I got back on the road and jammed. I saw more Polizia with about 1k to go, but I think they took pity on me and let me finish the climb. I was, literally, the last bike allowed across the Tonale summit. It was fun standing and sprinting away from the cops and getting a big cheer from the crowd!

A little while later the lead group came over the top, led by eventual winner Roland.

After the riders passed we had lunch and then started the loooooong slog to our overnight town, Campitello di Fassa. On the way we passed the Val Gardena ski resort (monstrous … huge) and some of the most amazing scenery I’ve ever been around. We even saw the podium girls stopped by the side of the road taking pictures; I wanted to get out and get some of my own (with them) but was overruled by the rest of the van and, of course, the boss!

Tomorrow we ride to the finish in Ortisei and get the VIP treatment on the podium. Maybe a kiss or two then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Today we found out about Italian traffic. Namely, a) when the Italian road crews close a road that’s on the way to your start destination, you have to go over a mountain on a road that’s barely wide enough for your van and you arrive late to your start
Sounds as if you took the "short cut" over the Gavia, then drove from Ponte di Legno down the valley to your start in Edolo. Guess this means you can the check the Gavia off your list!
Old 05-25-2017, 01:02 AM
50 bpm

This just in ... the Look has been found! It arrived in Milan late last night. Unfortunately, it won't be to me until tomorrow night, after the Piancavallo finish.

Swell.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:31 AM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-25-2018 at 02:57 PM.