Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2024, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Looking at RWGPS - is that really about 450 ft per mile of up? Yikes!
The usual paved route is only slightly better.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
The usual paved route is only slightly better.
It does hurt, but some of that might be that it has no turns, so you look straight up and see almost the entire climb in front of you
Old 05-12-2024, 12:31 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Looking at RWGPS - is that really about 450 ft per mile of up? Yikes!
Yeah, having driven down it, climbing up it isn't nearly as appealing as before I scouted the route

M
edited to add: yeah, that turn off 7 looking up at that hill is demoralizing. It was bad enough getting up to Rt 7...
Old 05-12-2024, 03:10 PM

Day-five, shorty mixed surface 25 miler, still over 2,100 ft of up - great riding. Much thanks to Baron Blubba!
Old 05-12-2024, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Glad you got some good riding in Marc!

Wish I could have joined, but happy I was able to get home for Mother's Day, cheers and safe travels back to MV.
Old 05-12-2024, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Glad you got some good riding in Marc!

Wish I could have joined, but happy I was able to get home for Mother's Day, cheers and safe travels back to MV.
Last day tomorrow, and weather looks like the first day without a chance of rain! Skyline Drive or bust! Going to be interesting in that the temps may start below 50F and get to the upper 70Fs. I'm going to put the bigger bar bag on the Supersix so I can comfortably shed clothes and add sunscreen
Old 05-12-2024, 06:09 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
I think you would regret that choice.
Are you talking about Morgan Mills Road off of Mt Carmel-Frogtown road? That’ll take you to the top of Weather, or nearabouts. That’s fine to climb. The unpavement is smooth and it’s not terribly steep. Just control speed when descending, as there are a couple of turns.

Weather is a good climb, but I don’t think it’s as fun a climb as Blue Mountain or Massanutten (south to north, as when doing Skymass), or Woodstock Tower (from any direction, but especially from the Woodstock side up to the firetower).
And definitely more traffic-dangerous
For my blub, the best big climb around is probably going up to Thornton Gap in SNP from the Sperryville side (~3.5-4 miles of pure up, loaded with fun hairpins/switchbacks), then once in the park continuing 10 miles to Skyland at mile 42. Those 10 miles in the park have ~8 miles of uphill at 4-8%, and an abundance of dramatic views and great scenery.

Last edited by Baron Blubba; 05-12-2024 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-12-2024, 06:10 PM

Looks like you’ve had some great riding! Fantastic weather today just a little south of you. Hopefully makes it way to you tomorrow. It’s usually about 10 degrees cooler up on Skyline, layers definitely a good idea.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:20 PM

Yep. And use some bug repellent. The gnats can be gnasty this time of year.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post

For my blub, the best big climb around is probably going up to Thornton Gap in SNP from the Sperryville side (~3.5-4 miles of pure up, loaded with fun hairpins/switchbacks), then once in the park continuing 10 miles to Skyland at mile 42. Those 10 miles in the park have ~8 miles of uphill at 4-8%, and an abundance of dramatic views and great scenery.
The little pizza place in Sperryville is pretty darn good too. I love the road up the gap, but have wondered if its safe to bike. Will have to drive up there and try it. 231 from Gordonsville to Sperryville is one of the prettiest drives in the country imho-too busy for a bike, but perfect in a convertible.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
The little pizza place in Sperryville is pretty darn good too. I love the road up the gap, but have wondered if its safe to bike. Will have to drive up there and try it. 231 from Gordonsville to Sperryville is one of the prettiest drives in the country imho-too busy for a bike, but perfect in a convertible.
211 is two-lane once it turns up, so that part isn't too bad. But the flat/rolling bit from Sperryville to the start of the steeps isn't the best.

Same for 33 west of Harrisonburg. The climb up to High Knob is nice and the descent to Brandywine is fast and fun, but the road is just a bit too bust for me. I'll ride it during the fondo, but probably wouldn't for a solo ride.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:32 AM

What alistair said

Its pretty much the perfect climb to set 20 minute power numbers
Old 05-13-2024, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
211 is two-lane once it turns up, so that part isn't too bad. But the flat/rolling bit from Sperryville to the start of the steeps isn't the best.

Same for 33 west of Harrisonburg. The climb up to High Knob is nice and the descent to Brandywine is fast and fun, but the road is just a bit too bust for me. I'll ride it during the fondo, but probably wouldn't for a solo ride.
I routinely drive 33 and there's simply no way I'd climb it on a bike, I've seen too many folks use too much road in a couple of those decreasing radius corners. Far nicer to drive up to Big Meadows or Afton and ride from there, even though I hate to drive to rides.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:59 PM

Last day of six, couldn’t have asked for a nicer day. As mentioned, it was cooler on the ridge. I started the day with high 40Fs temps and was able to keep long sleeves and tights on for sun protection. Lots of shade helped too.

The Baron recommended going about a mile past Thornton Gap to the south to see the cool stone tunnel, so that was my turnaround point. Great pavement, little wind, modest amounts of quite respectful traffic. Scenery every direction. Even though I ended up with 6,700 ft of climbing, it's easier than it sounds because the road is so graded - I think I saw a max of 8%, but 6-7% on the climbs was typical. I never needed the 30x36, and rode almost all of the ups in a 30x28. The downhill runs are great, the pitch yielded 30-35 mph speeds coasting, and the corners are gradual such that you don't need to brake ahead of them to slow down.

I kept fed and hydrated - I think I drank six 25 oz bottles of water with Nuun electrolyte in each, and never had a hint of cramping.

I saw maybe twenty other cyclists, half of whom were in the afternoon and I imagine were climbing from Front Royal to one of the high points, then turning around (or if they were doing the same 67 mile out and back I did they would be way faster!) I chatted with two older riders who'd come down from Montreal to ride - they were doing a 100 mile loop today.

For the six days I ended up with 290 miles and 22,700 ft, which is likely to be 10% of my year's worth of elevation. Many thanks to Mike Lock! I am glad I brought the two different bikes, I absolutely could have done all six rides on the Bingham (even more so if I'd brought the 700C wheels too) but the Supersix is a hoot, and a lighter and perhaps more aero bike couldn’t have hurt.

Here's the link for today.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:24 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

Theoretically, the speed limit up the hill is something like 35mph (25? Don't remember, but it's low)

The group out of Culpeper rides up 211 a few times/year. Doesn't seem to be an issue

M