Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2022, 08:17 PM

I went for a haircut yesterday and the barber told me that he was getting out of bitcoin and putting his money into XRP based on good words from a client. He told me that Ripple, who sponsors XRP, was an emerging company that was leading XRP to be a new trader of international commerce. I told him that I had never heard of XRP. He said that XRP will be the future of international finance, but that they currently are being sued by the SEC. I told him that sounded bad, but he said that the SEC had a weak case. He told me that he had invested $1,800 in XRP and that it was currently trading at $.11 per coin (i looked it up and the price was higher than that). We figured out that if the per coin price rose to $2,000 per coin, his investment would eventually reach $237,000,000 ($2,000 / $.11 x $1,800). He would be able to buy a Bugatti and open new barbershops around the country. I am not putting my money there.

Thoughts?
Old 09-28-2022, 08:23 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounder View Post
Thoughts?
$ 0.11 to $2000 / coin? Sure, that will happen.

Tell him to go for it. In fact, tell him to get a second (third, if necessary) mortgage, borrow money from his family, whatever it takes. He wouldn't want to miss out on this - after all, a customer of his said it was a good deal.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:29 PM

My barber is my financial advisor. My plumber is my marriage counselor. My lawn guy is my cardiologist. Cross-platform synergies are the future.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:38 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
My barber is my financial advisor.
I stopped going to the barber shop due to COVID closures, and now I do it myself using my cat's Wahl clippers.

Perhaps I should ask my cats for financial advice - they can't be any worse than Rounder's barber.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:24 PM

Serious perspective on Ripple/XRP. I think if you look at the purpose and fundamentals behind XRP you will quickly understand why it won't go to $2000 per coin.

The short answer is it's a purpose built coin for settling cross-border transactions between financial institutions.

The sheer number of coins in existence for XRP (100 billion) means that if you want it to hit $2000, the market cap for XRP would be 320 times the size that Bitcoin currently is.

To further illustrate, if the price were to hit $6, that would be the same market cap that BTC sits at now.

So is $2000 possible? Sure. I mean the supply is finite, if it gets adopted by enough financial institutions and there is enough demand for interbank cross border transactions... then I mean, sure. It could get there, after all, anything is possible.

Likely? I dunno... or at least, not the kind of asymmetry of risk/reward I like in my investments.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Perhaps I should ask my cats for financial advice - they can't be any worse than Rounder's barber.
My cat told me to buy Beanie Babies. I invested a lot of money, but the darn cat disemboweled them all.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:30 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
My cat told me to buy Beanie Babies. I invested a lot of money, but the darn cat disemboweled them all.
Both my cats are fiduciaries, so I don't think I'd have that problem.

(or maybe they're tortoiseshells, I can never remember the difference)

Last edited by Louis; 09-28-2022 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:56 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
I stopped going to the barber shop due to COVID closures, and now I do it myself using my cat's Wahl clippers.

You shave your cat?
Old 09-28-2022, 11:06 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
You shave your cat?
Actually it was for my now dearly departed long-hair Abby, who as he got older had problems with mats. The shaver was safer than scissors, but didn't work terribly well either. Works fine on my hair. (what's left of it)

Old 09-28-2022, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounder View Post
I went for a haircut yesterday and the barber told me that he was getting out of bitcoin and putting his money into XRP based on good words from a client. He told me that Ripple, who sponsors XRP, was an emerging company that was leading XRP to be a new trader of international commerce. I told him that I had never heard of XRP. He said that XRP will be the future of international finance, but that they currently are being sued by the SEC. I told him that sounded bad, but he said that the SEC had a weak case. He told me that he had invested $1,800 in XRP and that it was currently trading at $.11 per coin (i looked it up and the price was higher than that). We figured out that if the per coin price rose to $2,000 per coin, his investment would eventually reach $237,000,000 ($2,000 / $.11 x $1,800). He would be able to buy a Bugatti and open new barbershops around the country. I am not putting my money there.

Thoughts?
My guess is that you are purposely referencing to anecdotes tycoons receiving stock tips from shoe shiners, from just before the Great Depression. But just in case you aren't.

A similar tale was attributed to JP Morgan as well.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:49 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
My guess is that you are purposely referencing to anecdotes tycoons receiving stock tips from shoe shiners, from just before the Great Depression. But just in case you aren't.

A similar tale was attributed to JP Morgan as well.
How convenient, for the fat-cats to blame the Crash on the little guys.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:58 PM

The paper plate....
Quote:
Both my cats are fiduciaries, so I don't think I'd have that problem.

(or maybe they're tortoiseshells, I can never remember the difference)

This is quite an upgrade to the thread! Who knew that cat pics could be so beneficial
Old 09-29-2022, 12:12 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
The paper plate....
Don't worry - it wasn't used. (at least not for it's original intended purpose)
Old 09-29-2022, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
You shave your cat?
Oh my.
Really restraining myself and remembering this isn’t Reddit.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
How convenient, for the fat-cats to blame the Crash on the little guys.
That’s a misinterpretation of the gist of the anecdote, which captures how people straying out of their lane is an indication of a bubble. The explanation being, by the time a shoe shiner has heard about a bubble, there really isn’t much more population left to be the next “bigger fool†in the speculation.