Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Mr Dobalina

I'd imagine Colnago would be able to link that frame to a race team if that was the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhumston View Post
Agreed, and that's what I've been trying to do. The seller has been receptive throughout, though seemingly evasive at certain points, which may have something to do with English being his second language.

Here's the latest update;

Seller went to the store where he purchased the frameset(s). This is what he was told apparently: "He told me that these frame sets are ex professional team bikes which had been repainted."

Hence the reason for the missing/scratched off serial number.

I honestly am not at all familiar with this. Is it consistent with what race teams/manufacturers do?

Do I have anything to worry about with it being an ex-race bike?

Opinions please!
Old 06-19-2015, 03:08 PM

Respray makes sense, that looked like lot of paint on those dropouts.

Note: I haven't seen a C59 original paint job...
Old 06-19-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhumston View Post

Do I have anything to worry about with it being an ex-race bike?

Opinions please!
They get soft from over use.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:34 PM

I've heard for years from dealers and others griping about Colnago selling frames in the "grey" market or otherwise dealing directly with a few "favored" dealers (including one prominent one in the UK). My bet is that this goes on a little more widely than we suppose.

Could this C59 be an example of another "distribution channel" and the serial number gets scratched off much the same way that the cover page of a non-current magazine or the cover of an overstock book gets removed or otherwise marked (to avoid returns, mostly). Maybe Colnago really doesn't have a problem with authentic (but non-warranty-able) frames being out there? Of course we can't tell whether the manual for this frame actually goes with the frame (because bar code and serial numbers are both obliterated), but assuming they do go together it's impossible to imagine that the frame was stolen along with its manual. I don't know - just a thought I had.

Respray of a team bike doesn't sound too plausible to me - it's pretty expensive (labor intensive) to respray it correctly I'd have to think - would it really be worth the cost over the price of the unrefinished team frame? Maybe I guess. I bet they just glopped on some paint on the dropout (hence why it looks so thick there, but the rest of the paint looks great, at least from the pics).

For this frame, I'd try to get a few hundred back from the seller to avoid further ebay messiness and then just ride it, it looks GREAT! (I guess I'm pretty selfish regarding other potential buyers of items from this seller, but caveat emptor on the 'bay....)

Last edited by lovebird; 06-19-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:39 PM

respray of team bike is absolutely not a common practice.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post
They get soft from over use.
Are you trolling again?
Old 06-19-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
You got a GREAT deal. Just ride the thing.

Enjoyed the forensics doe.

Here's my C59 Italia. I bought it used with very low miles. When I received it, I felt that it looked beat to caca for a newish frame. That's just the nature of Colnagos, I sink. In any case, once I started riding the thing, all my reservations faded. C59 is the best production carbon fiber frame set ever made. End of Story.

Ive had 3 pre-owned C59 frames -with visible serial #'s- (JK!)

First one I purchased was too small so I went next size up to a EPS/Di only frame (a ex pro team frame as-is orig paint). Sold that one off after finding a preferred colorway. Total ownership time is almost 2 yrs without jonesing for another bike - well, except maybe for a C60

Should you not decide to keep this one, acquire another one that your are comfortable with and you'll be echoing Beeat's comments after a few miles.

BTW Beeatnik, great looking Mapei C59 but why is your photo not showing the rear drop out/serial #?

Last edited by enr1co; 06-19-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:29 PM

Honestly I doubt team bikes are repainted... clothing in Holland ends up as donation (from what I know), with bikes is weird because when a team closes or get new bikes only a few make it to team members or riders and the rest from what I know are returned but well this could be one of those returned and resprayed. Wonder if a guy I know, knows something about it...

Either way I would keep that frame, enjoy the ride man
Old 06-19-2015, 04:30 PM

Tall Headtubes for the Fredz

Quote:
Originally Posted by enr1co View Post
BTW Beeatnik, great looking Mapei C59 but why is your photo not showing the rear drop out/serial #?
enr1co, that was a weak attempt to protect the Paceline Flipperatti. Haha.

OP, I dropped nearly a grand more for my chipped/scratched as fek, non-preferred colourway, zero chance at resale cos of chopped/slammed steerer C59. Still think I got a pretty good deal.

Colnago Geo is Stoopid (but it works!) Slammed with a -17 degree stem.

Last edited by beeatnik; 06-19-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:41 PM

I like this one... if you dont let me know :P
Old 06-19-2015, 04:44 PM

ultra, I like your style
Old 06-19-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebird View Post
For this frame, I'd try to get a few hundred back from the seller
Why's that?
Old 06-19-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
Why's that?
Mostly because I'm just cheap and couldn't resist the chance to turn a decent- to good-deal into an outstanding deal

But seriously, looking for serial numbers in pics is not something I would do in an ebay listing, but if I'd known that the serial number was deliberately altered, I would not have bid or would have bid less. I'd always have the nagging doubt that this was a crashed frame that had been repainted, even though my head would tell me probably not. The seller here deals in these frames all the time, and is in the best position to notice that there were problems with the serial numbers. At the very least, if the seller didn't know, he should have.

I don't know, but a few hundred would compensate me for that doubt and lack of disclosure about the painted over dropout/serial number, but I can see how some people wouldn't care while others would demand that the seller take it back.

Last edited by lovebird; 06-19-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:27 AM

First off, that is a beautiful ride....since you'll never find it's true origins, you should let that go and enjoy the bike.

Secondly, thanks for the info on this seller. I too have been talking with him with regards to my search for a Colnago C59 ADWH.....if he ever finds one I will be sure to get pictures of the serials and dropouts (looking for repaints).

While this person can help you find your dream bike, it's up to us to hold him to a higher standard. Thanks for sharing. Here is his Instagram link. https://www.instagram.com/colnago_for_sale/