Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2023, 12:45 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Do we need another thread to talk about which hitch rack to get? I am pretty sure I'm getting a Kuat, because that's what the lbs sells. They have a lot of models though.
The consensus is either 1-Up or Kuat

The Thule T2 used to be the one but that is no longer the case.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:45 PM

I had removed my Kuat for a long drive, but left the swing part on.. go bumped in a traffic jam, which I'm sure would have left a mark on my bumper. Swing arm was unscratched and operated normally. The guy front plate was mangled.

I noticed he looked like he was on his phone behind me.. I was actively thinking of switching lanes because it made me uncomfortable.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:49 PM

I use a roof rack on a eurowagon, as nature intended.

I also do the "place large item in garage" trick, but I'm generally worried about my bikes the entire drive and haven't forgotten one up there yet (after a few decades of roof racks). I already regret typing that though.

- - -

ETA: My friend just got a (pricey) Quikrstuff hitch rack, and I'm impressed by just how compact it is when folded and put back on his garage shelf. It's obviously well built too, much like its 1UP cousins. He is more willing to spend money than I am, but it certainly looks like a well thought out design. He has a very heavy e-bike thing, and it was one of the only ones that supported the weight he needed (or so he said).

Last edited by feynman; 07-19-2023 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:52 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
The consensus is either 1-Up or Kuat

The Thule T2 used to be the one but that is no longer the case.
...unless you are looking for a rack that will survive the apocalypse and outlast cockroaches!

I've had mine for probably 15 years...all steel, weighs 30+ lbs...I'd get a new rack, but it shows no signs of wearing out.

I am sure Kuat and 1Up are built to last too.....so not disparaging them.
Old 07-19-2023, 01:21 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
...unless you are looking for a rack that will survive the apocalypse and outlast cockroaches!

I've had mine for probably 15 years...all steel, weighs 30+ lbs...I'd get a new rack, but it shows no signs of wearing out.

I am sure Kuat and 1Up are built to last too.....so not disparaging them.
oh, I agree with you. I bought my T2 after Thule acquired Sport Works and improved on the design. It's fine and I have no reason to replace it, especially given current pricing on 1-Up or Kuat. That said if I was buying new today it would not be Thule and certainly NOT yakima.

I do not leave my T2 on the truck...I store it leaning in a corner of my garage and roll it in and out on a furniture dolly
Old 07-19-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
I had a 2001 Forester, easily got my bike up on the roof. (I'm six foot). Next car was also a Forester, a 2010, and that roof was about five inches higher. Still not bad, but, considered buying the present model Forester, and that's ridiculous. Maybe 5-6 inches higher, still.
Yeah, that would be ridiculous, if it was true. But, it isn't ...

2001 Forester, 65" H
2010 Forester, 67" H
2023 Forester, 69" H
Old 07-19-2023, 02:18 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Do we need another thread to talk about which hitch rack to get? I am pretty sure I'm getting a Kuat, because that's what the lbs sells. They have a lot of models though.
LBS had Kuat, Yakima, and Thule. I went with the Kuat NV 2.0. The Kuat seemed the burliest of three. What's interesting and what I didn't know at the time is that the Kuat is not approved for mounting on an RV. Seems strange. I don't have an RV, but I've taken the Kuat over some really bumpy washboard off-road stuff and it's held up admirably. I've even scraped it a few times coming off some steep descents. The main beam going into the hitch doesn't have anything wrapping around it so the only damage was some scraped paint and the rubber on the turn knob getting a little torn. What I don't like about the Kuat though is that it sticks straight out whereas the 1-Up angles up.

The latest Kuat model Piston Pro has LED tail lights which I wish I had. I don't think the 1-Up has an option for tail lights. The Piston wasn't available when I got my NV. If I had to do it again, I'd either get the 1-Up (for the better departure angle) or the Piston (for the tail lights).
Old 07-19-2023, 02:23 PM

1up hitch for one bike.

Something to consider.
A one bike 1up.
You have access to the truck without folding it back or to the side.
99% off the time, it is just one bike.
Me car has a one bike 1up.
Our family minivan also.
If a kid needs a ride home from school. There is a spot for their bike.
I bike before work. The bike unloads fast at the tail head. And loads fast after the ride.
The plate is visable.
For the rare time when we need more. It is super fast to exchange for the two bikes or six bike rack,
Old 07-19-2023, 02:36 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Yeah, that would be ridiculous, if it was true. But, it isn't ...

2001 Forester, 65" H
2010 Forester, 67" H
2023 Forester, 69" H
nope
Old 07-19-2023, 02:55 PM

Major +1 for a 1up.

I previously used thule roof mounts, but installed a hitch on the latest car so I could get a 1up. I installed a manufacturer hitch for looks, so it's only 1.25" rather than 2". In hindsight I regret not putting a 2" hitch on the car and dealing w/ the aesthetics.

I like how a 1up allows 3 carries with a 1.25" hitch, I don't know if other manufacturers support that configuration.

That said, my heart rate is a little jacked when I'm hauling 3 heavy mountain bikes on the back seeing them bounce when I go over bumps.

If you're driving gravel, expect the bikes to get super dirty when using a hitch rack.
Old 07-19-2023, 03:14 PM

I have a 1 UP Heavy Duty for a 2" receiver hitch. 2 bike model with a 1 bike add on if I need it.

I like it a lot, but it's not perfect. It does fold up to a compact package and is easy to unload and fold up and store back in original sturdy box it came in. Weighs 48 lbs folded up.

I just wish it would better accommodate bikes with fenders. And I know there is a kit for that.

My personal opinion is if you wish to remove the rack after you use it, and fold and store it, it's great. It takes up very little area in my garage. That's how I use it. On and off is easy.

If you leave it on vehicle all the time, and have a bike with fenders, the Kuat might be a better choice. A riding buddy has the Kuat, and he has an E bike with fenders, and leaves the rack on his Hyundai Pallaside all the time. For his use, I think the Kuat is superior.

Keep in mind, a 350 lb hitch is designed to have a trailer tongue weight of no more than 350 lbs. For 3-4 bikes hanging way off the rear, levering downward, my hitch installer told me the hitch is rated for 1/2 of the 350 lbs.

Last edited by Ralph; 07-19-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-20-2023, 10:45 AM

Access to the trunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2*GRE View Post
Something to consider.
A one bike 1up.
You have access to the truck without folding it back or to the side.
99% off the time, it is just one bike.
Me car has a one bike 1up.
Our family minivan also.
If a kid needs a ride home from school. There is a spot for their bike.
I bike before work. The bike unloads fast at the tail head. And loads fast after the ride.
The plate is visible.
For the rare time when we need more. It is super fast to exchange for the two bikes or six bike rack,
Visible plate and access to the trunk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6487.jpg (141.9 KB, 145 views)
Old 07-21-2023, 11:50 AM

I have both.. I have 3x roof racks right now and 2x Thule wheel carriers for the bikes that have to have the front wheel taken off to go on the rack.

And I have a 3X 1UP setup.

So other things that are negative about the roof that might not have been mentioned:

- Arguably easier to forget the bike is up there and hit something (BTDT)
- Terrible for plus bikes and fat bikes on the MTB side, few options with poor reviews
- Generally annoying for bikes with thru axles
- General overall lower quality on a lot of roof racks AFAICT
- Takes longer to get bikes on the roof and more strenuous
- Takes longer to install/remove bikes on roof if you're not carrying bikes and want to save fuel
- We've had trouble with wheels oscillating on the Thule front wheel carriers
- Some trouble even with non-plus 29er wheel/tire setups having to be deflated to be secure in the roof rack.

1UP and similar can be lowered to access the trunk, but you better be strong. You're doing an awkward 100lb+ dead lift to lift 1 3-way 1UP + 3 MTBs back up once you lower it to get access to the trunk. Luckily that is rare for me.
Old 07-22-2023, 10:15 AM

Roof rack vs hitch rack

Roof rack user on a Ford Fusion, Yakima bars with Thule Sidearm trays. Slight fuel economy penalty, easy to add on cargo box when needed, fits my road bikes securely, I don’t park in garages when I have a bike on it. I pieced it together off CL, probably have spent less than $300 all in. I need easy trunk access because my passenger takes up all the seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by B4_Ford; 07-22-2023 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-22-2023, 12:39 PM

I have an og Kuat NV from 2017 that I use year round and leave on the car year round. The rack has been good to me throughout all the New England seasons but by now I have replaced most of the parts with warranty replacements. I have used the Kuat lifetime warranty without issue other than the part shortage over the last year or so. Kuat has been good with replacing parts and advice when needed. My buddy has gotten a NV 2.0 more than a year ago and has had no issues with the newer version.

I would never use a roof rack again after having a hitch rack for so long.