Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2014, 07:39 AM
It An't Me Babe

Nice custom King. What did you ask for as far as custom?

I tried getting a custom King years ago but eventually gave up on the effort when DeRosa was changing their USA distributor adding too much complication in getting the order through.

Dunno 'bout a custom Protos though, IMO the aesthetic lines on that frame will not hold up well over time and frankly, it is priced dearer than I want to handle.

I don't know about the blurt about Doriano. It seems very unlike DeRosa famille to have this happen. Gotta consider the source...
Old 09-17-2014, 08:02 AM
Made in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sante pollastri View Post
welds are not the frame.....
I beg to disagree. In fact the frame might be just as solid as the next one - agreed - but the thing is titanium amateurs LOVE clean welds. If I splurge several $ks on a titanium frame I do expect perfect welding technique, or as close to it as can be.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post

I tried getting a custom King years ago but eventually gave up on the effort when DeRosa was changing their USA distributor adding too much complication in getting the order through.

Dunno 'bout a custom Protos though, IMO the aesthetic lines on that frame will not hold up well over time and frankly, it is priced dearer than I want to handle.

I don't know about the blurt about Doriano. It seems very unlike DeRosa famille to have this happen. Gotta consider the source...
I arranged for this frame while they were making King 3's (as you can see from the graphics) It has a slightly longer top tube and the seat angle is slightly slacker than stock and those are the only geometry changes....It does have a larger diameter downtube and a tapered headtube. They did whatever it is that they do with the selection of tubes for my particular size. In appearance it is far more similar to the next model King but with the integrated seattube. I have to say that the ride is spectacular. I have never been on any bike that descends quite like this one.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcollard View Post
I beg to disagree. In fact the frame might be just as solid as the next one - agreed - but the thing is titanium amateurs LOVE clean welds. If I splurge several $ks on a titanium frame I do expect perfect welding technique, or as close to it as can be.
a racing has to be fast riding,not clean under Carl Zeiss lens.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:

have you some problem about "the source"?
Old 09-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Made in Belgium

Quote:
a racing has to be fast riding,not clean under Carl Zeiss lens.
We could talk about this forever and you will always be right.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:10 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
have you some problem about "the source"?
No. To call it a "problem" would overstate the import of "the source".
Old 09-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Well said.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:29 PM

that black de rosa is gorgeous.

ditch those aero hoops though and add some nice silver rims instead, ahhh......much better.

nice to see they're entering the market. i wish them success.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
I agree,it was reported by pego-gang one year ago.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:45 AM

This thread makes me want to ride my old al merak, which I've considered selling to help finance a custom steel. When did derosa source production to Asia? Wondering if mine (2001) was made in Italy.
Back then the consensus on the ride of aluminum was "harsh" (perhaps mostly based on ccannondale of the day), but I always thought the ride was nice.

Last edited by marciero; 09-18-2014 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
This thread makes me want to ride my old al merak, which I've considered selling to help finance a custom steel. When did derosa source production to Asia? Wondering if mine (2001) was made in Italy.
Back then the consensus on the ride of aluminum was "harsh" (perhaps mostly based on ccannondale of the day), but I always thought the ride was nice.
With a few rare exceptions, all of the metal frames have always been made in Cusano Italy. Save for the top end of the range, most of the carbon frames are outsourced. The top has always been made in Italy and have always been available in custom configurations. The "Black Label" name has just been a tag given to something they have always done...It seems to be working...
Old 12-07-2014, 09:51 AM

I've always coveted DeRosa's also, but I can't get excited about the shape of their carbon bikes these days. I did like the look of the Ti bike - clean. I don't think it is necessary to get all wild with the shape of the frame - there are plenty of aesthetic carbon bikes around now.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:47 PM

Old 12-13-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
I am intrigued by what DeRosa is doung here with custom geometries available in AL, Ti, steel and carbon. It is enticing enough that I'd consider ordering a carbon frame. I had gotten off the merry go round with that material some time ago. Custom carbon is not rare anymore with the likes of Parlee and Crumpton in the small builder category but getting custom from the big name places is near impossible.

I dunno, the idea of a long 'n' low DeRosa King is very captivating. It will also make for a maximum-sized riding stable of 3 bikes that will be comprised of:
  1. Carbon: DeRosa King (proposed)
  2. Ti: Eriksen
  3. Steel: Pegoretti Responsorium (on order)
If I have room I can take the Vanilla out of storage and use it as a Sunday-driver or mount it on the wall or something.
Wow, a true dream list of bikes. Where is the like button