Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2017, 08:01 PM

Oh lets just parse this out like a lawyer. Mine in [.....].

The white Ford Fusion rocketed past, skimming my left side by an inch or two [altercation initiated] Automatically, I threw up my hand in in perplexed disgust [can we assume driver saw this & there was also something said? I would on both].I rarely give quarter to aggressive drivers [ok, enjoys this & does it often. Must by the number of miles ridden]. I’ve been hit too many times and had too many friends killed to relent. The car sped on. My blood boiled. Under normal circumstances, I’d have no trouble catching up on the approaching descent to dispense a piece of my mind – but it was early on Saturday, and it was mid-September – traffic was light, giving a reckless driver a straight shot down the hill. It was all things considered, a hopeless (and pointless) endeavor that I opted not to engage in. I pocketed my rage [other conditions and he’s on him].By the time I reached the upcoming left-hand turn towards Mill Valley, I’d not seen or heard of the Ford, assuming they’d sped off to the right, down the tourist-jammed California State Route 1 to the sleepy burg of San Francisco.

I was wrong [conditions changed].

I turned, and there was the Ford, 500 meters in front of me. Within ten seconds and three corners, [ten seconds & three corners is a long way to wonder what if this prick stops fast] I was ten meters off its bumper – even a leisurely-descending cyclist can moves faster than a car on the tight ramps into Mill Valley. It was a rental. In it, the driver, a male, late 30s, and a female passenger wearing oversized aviators [so much time he notices the passenger] I was confused why he’d felt the need to nearly kill me. My anger resurfaced. For a split second, I felt like a dog with its cornered quarry, naively figuring out what to do with the prey [the money shot that shows N wants a confrontation] it had run down. Then I saw the brake lights. And by then, it was too late [the money shot that shows the prick driver was up for it.]

The lesson grasshoppers is not that we eat our own. Its to let it go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrooms View Post
Read it. Its called a “quote” and mine is verbatim. There is not one bit of as you say, “creative license.”

Pick up the story right where you stop. He wasn’t some complete innocent pedaling along. Plus and the biggest point, he’d already seen evidence of this individual’s point of view re cyclist. We can imagine his hand response to the pass fit the moment? Yet he’s now approaching said individual at a high rate of speed with intent to, and I quote Nate, catch his “prey.”

Sorry, but your “eat your own” interpretation is skewed by not reading the section you either skip or choose to ignore (see your #4) as written by Nate himself.

I've read it, and I can use what we call context clues to determine a meaning. As he notes, its about the dog catching something and, in that moment, suddenly baffled as to what to do. In this case, the emphasis is on the emotion of what to do in the moment -- that "well, now what?" -- of the unexpected rather than what you're projecting, which is Nate on the hunt.

The entire rest of the piece makes clear -- context clues! -- that that wasn't the case.

Or just willfully misread it to become an advocate for terrible drivers and blame another cyclist for a hit and run.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:06 PM

If he had disc brakes he would have been fine.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I've read it, and I can use what we call context clues to determine a meaning. As he notes, its about the dog catching something and, in that moment, suddenly baffled as to what to do. In this case, the emphasis is on the emotion of what to do in the moment -- that "well, now what?" -- of the unexpected rather than what you're projecting, which is Nate on the hunt.

The entire rest of the piece makes clear -- context clues! -- that that wasn't the case.

Or just willfully misread it to become an advocate for terrible drivers and blame another cyclist for a hit and run.

Nobody is condoning the acts of the driver. In particular leaving the scene.

If you can’t see Nate looking for trouble, in his own words, have at it.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:14 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
He didn't mention the ER, but my guess is that it was Marin General.
Busy place on a sunny weekend day.

Last time I was in there I had to release myself.
I had been there 4 hours- they X-rayed me and sewed up my biggest gash, but I had lots of other issues.
I finally pulled off all of the electrodes and took out my own IV- Someone came in when the alarms went off. I told them I was going home now-
Funny thing was they just rolled with it- Like it was a regular occurrence.
First, glad to see that Nate survived.

I once got tagged by a car that passed too close and ended up in Marin General myself. Luckily it was just scrapes and bruises. While I was getting cleaned up, one of the nurses asked if she could borrow my Sidis. Marin General sees so many cyclists that she wanted to show some new nurses how the buckles work.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:22 PM

I hope Nate recovers fully. There seems to be a bit of creative writing involved with the story though.

Nate can remember seeing the driver in his late 30's and passenger with her oversized aviators but he didn't catch a partial plate #. I could be very wrong and if I am I apologize but parts aren't quite adding up.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:01 PM

Really digging everyones views and interpretations on this.

For me, this is what set the tone for the entire piece:

"Hordes of weekend warriors took selfies on the Dam, obfuscating the road. I weaved between them at a clip, likely perturbing their lackadaisical approach to their Saturday ride."
Old 09-29-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etu View Post
OP, I can understand the piece as an angry rant when your adrenaline is through the roof because of a close brush with death. but after the fact and when you've had the time to reflect.... Not so much.
dude, i still remember that truck when we rode together and we had to just sit out for a minute and let that truck have its distance. there was no sense in trying to be on the road with that guy at the same time as he just wanted to end a cyclist that day it seemed.

but yeah, if you know the guy is messing with you and you are still descending at 50kmph right off his bumper you are also being an idiot and braggart. it sucks but its true.
i just reread it, its really hard to feel sorry for this twat, he thinks so highly of himself and so lowly of others. yes, twat. hes a dick, its oozes out of his writing.

Last edited by Mzilliox; 09-29-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
dude, i still remember that truck when we rode together and we had to just sit out for a minute and let that truck have its distance. there was no sense in trying to be on the road with that guy at the same time as he just wanted to end a cyclist that day it seemed.

but yeah, if you know the guy is messing with you and you are still descending at 50kmph right off his bumper you are also being an idiot and braggart. it sucks but its true.
i just reread it, its really hard to feel sorry for this twat, he thinks so highly of himself and so lowly of others. yes, twat. hes a dick, its oozes out of his writing.
You did read the part where, yanno, the author assumed he wouldn't be on the same route anymore?

Why bother letting facts get in the way of blaming a cyclist on a cycling forum.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

You guys are just going around and around. I'm dizzy.

Please stop rather than continuing to defend your point of view. I have my viewpoint but don't need to share it because I don't know the area or the people.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:49 PM

Hey Matt,
You're lucky to be riding on the roads up by Rogue River! I remember our Alpine Dam/Seven Sisters ride, but I must be so jaded to aggressive traffic that I can't recall the truck incident. As others have noted, the traffic around Mt Tam, especially weekend traffic, has become really bad.
More bikes plus more cars equals more confrontations and unfortunate crashes like this one are bound to happen. However an US vs THEM mentality does nobody any good.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hey Matt,
You're lucky to be riding on the roads up by Rogue River! I remember our Alpine Dam/Seven Sisters ride, but I must be so jaded to aggressive traffic that I can't recall the truck incident. As others have noted, the traffic around Mt Tam, especially weekend traffic, has become really bad.
More bikes plus more cars equals more confrontations and unfortunate crashes like this one are bound to happen. However an US vs THEM mentality does nobody any good.
Well said etu
Old 09-29-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
. However an US vs THEM mentality does nobody any good.
"Hate begets hate; violence begets violence; toughness begets a greater toughness. We must meet the forces of hate with the power of love." MLK 1958
Old 09-29-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
"Hate begets hate; violence begets violence; toughness begets a greater toughness. We must meet the forces of hate with the power of love." MLK 1958
I’ve lately been wondering if I can draw any love equivalencies with a bar-mounted EMP cannon.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
I’ve lately been wondering if I can draw any love equivalencies with a bar-mounted EMP cannon.
Imagine what MLK felt during his struggle.