Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2017, 10:20 PM
aka RAEKWON

man, climbing that mountain in watopia is pretty fun, the last mile at 15% had my legs hurtin. I usually go straight and don't go to the tippy top but was feeling like it today.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
man, climbing that mountain in watopia is pretty fun, the last mile at 15% had my legs hurtin. I usually go straight and don't go to the tippy top but was feeling like it today.
No doubt, it's tough.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:05 AM

I've always hated indoor trainers and haven't even tried one for 20+ years, but….
…I've heard that the new smart trainers when used with an App or Zwift is game changing….
…so, with Nashbars 22% discount today (they run the 20%-25% off all the time), I just placed my order for a Kurt Kinetic Smart Trainer…
…(and hopefully it won't find its way to eBay )
Old 01-23-2017, 01:04 PM

Zwift is the only think keeping me motivated right now! So nice to feel like I accomplished some semblance of a ride indoors.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
I've always hated indoor trainers and haven't even tried one for 20+ years, but….
…I've heard that the new smart trainers when used with an App or Zwift is game changing….
…so, with Nashbars 22% discount today (they run the 20%-25% off all the time), I just placed my order for a Kurt Kinetic Smart Trainer…
…(and hopefully it won't find its way to eBay )
My opinion on Zwift:
Memory Hog (My MBA fans were running full-blast).
Didn't like the animation,
…..and the other riders were passing too close to my bars
Trying TrainerRoad next…

Liking the Kurt Kinetic Trainer…
Old 01-23-2017, 01:25 PM
Retired!

I was totally lost on Watopia this morning. It was only my 2nd time on the island and I found myself inside a volcano that I couldn't find on the laminated map I keep next to me to plan my turns. It turns out that it's a new addition to the island route. Check it out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 1.22.57 PM.jpg (59.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 1485187743631.jpg (61.3 KB, 90 views)
Old 01-23-2017, 01:27 PM
Dadwatts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onekgguy View Post
I was totally lost on Watopia this morning. It was only my 2nd time on the island and I found myself inside a volcano that I couldn't find on the laminated map I keep next to me to plan my turns. It turns out that it's a new addition to the island route. Check it out!
Ha! That's awesome! I can only imagine the tepid pedaling you were doing while riding into a volcano.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:30 PM
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskey View Post
Ha! That's awesome! I can only imagine the tepid pedaling you were doing while riding into a volcano.
There are some quite cool graphics to go along with the route. I think Zwift is such an awesome program that takes indoor cycling to a level so far beyond anything else that's out there. I had to upgrade my laptop though to play along.

Kevin g
Old 01-24-2017, 12:29 AM

I did the volcano route after a bit of misdirection (best to just turn around at the start area).

What's interesting is that I just wanted to ride. I left my phone off (so no secondary controls, no snapshots for me, etc). I put earbuds on but made Zwift sort of small and just played something in the background. And then I rode, not really focusing on much except holding the bars and pedaling. I stopped myself after 90 minutes because it was late, although I'm still up now. When I finished I had a jersey back full of ride ons but didn't see who gave them, didn't do much of anything except find my way to the volcano area and then just rode without paying attention to Zwift.

This is how I used to ride, before Zwift. I think I ride more effectively that way. I may play pro races etc in the background now that I've played music and such without any problems.

I too upgraded my machine solely for Zwift. I built up a box just for Zwift, I don't use it otherwise.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:54 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Did the volcano route last night on my (6 week make your FTP less like a sissy and more like a real cyclist program) work out and got a kick out of it. Lap after lap and then I needed to turn right, but found my way back.

I have to admit I am enjoying the heck out of ZWIFT. I hate riding indoors and this has made a winter work out program not only happen, but enjoyable.

air played the app from my phone last night to the TV, which was cool. First time I have ever heard the sounds as my ipad pro does not seem to allow sound, which I find odd.

Regardless, the app while not perfect is just a blast.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:32 AM

I had planned on checking out the new route last night but wasn't quite sure how to get there so I just picked the flat route and road with a Sub3 group. Maybe the WBR bunch but I have no idea as I haven't officially done a group ride. The groups on it seem to have a good pace and it reminds me of sitting in the draft doing a big shop ride if that makes sense. It made my planned hour go by in what seemed like the blink of an eye... not sure I'd have ever said that about riding the trainer before using Zwift.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:24 AM

Ok, I'm probably stupid, but where do you get the maps? And is there a map/route listing with profiles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2017, 07:28 AM

Rode through the volcano route as well last night. Indeed neat to see something new, the heat coming off the lava etc. was a nice touch. I hope they keep adding routes and would love to see additional cities brought in.

It may have been covered in a previous post, but do we know why London/Richmond are only certain days of the week? It would be cool if we could select which place we wanted to ride.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiataccompli View Post
Ok, I'm probably stupid, but where do you get the maps? And is there a map/route listing with profiles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zwift blog has PDF maps you can print of each. http://zwiftblog.com/map/ is a link to the Watopia map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neby2016 View Post
Rode through the volcano route as well last night. Indeed neat to see something new, the heat coming off the lava etc. was a nice touch. I hope they keep adding routes and would love to see additional cities brought in.

It may have been covered in a previous post, but do we know why London/Richmond are only certain days of the week? It would be cool if we could select which place we wanted to ride.
You can! You just need to follow the directions here http://zwiftblog.com/world-tag/
Old 01-24-2017, 08:16 AM

I also rode the volcano flat route yesterday, just JRA. I'll try the hill route next time. When I JRA on Zwift I'll move along at a steady pace until others chase me. Then I'll play around with them a bit and then drop them. Adds variety.