Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2024, 08:12 AM

I’m running a pair of Elite Drive 40s picked up here on the Forum. They have a textured track and it is a little noisier than an aluminum track but it’s not too bad and the braking is quite good. I’m coming off a pair of HED Ardennes+ and also run a pair of Shimano C24s. These Elites, the Winspace, Light Bicycle, wheels all seem to be well reviewed and priced right. Definitely worth a try. The Elite’s are really light at 1255g +/- and roll nicely with wider tires, 30mm in the pic below.
IMG_5575
Old 05-17-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittersweet View Post
I’m running a pair of Elite Drive 40s picked up here on the Forum. They have a textured track and it is a little noisier than an aluminum track but it’s not too bad and the braking is quite good. I’m coming off a pair of HED Ardennes+ and also run a pair of Shimano C24s. These Elites, the Winspace, Light Bicycle, wheels all seem to be well reviewed and priced right. Definitely worth a try. The Elite’s are really light at 1255g +/- and roll nicely with wider tires, 30mm in the pic below.
IMG_5575
Allow me to diverge from the question being asked and say, I love this frame color! I've seen simlar on other bikes and once had a serotta with a similar color and it's just so good! I've not heard of this wheel brand but the weight certainly has me interested!

Back to the question being asked. My vote would be for WTO Campy options. The Boras before the WTO option are also quite good w/ the AC3 brake track but harder to find and I don't believe they can be run tubeless if that's a thing you care about.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittersweet View Post
IMG_5575
I recently picked up some Elitewheels Drive 50Vs and can say the same.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
I ride rim-brakes on CFK (Gen 0 Lightweights with 23mm tubulars) a lot and did so often on long descents and non-ideal weather conditions. Contrary to what one can read in other sources, and in consensus with what most report in this thread, its absolutely doable; sure it is a contrast to riding a disk-brake bike possibly with fatter tires, but it is manageable, even survivable if one invests a little time in finding the right brakepads for the rim one uses.
Yeah, tubulars though. In my reading, its clinchers that you really have to be concerned about with regards to the heat related degradation of the rim material.

I've held off on buying carbon clinchers with rim brakes because my usage is basically a combination of the worst case scenarios: I'm big (195-200 pounds), its very hilly where I am so I'm very concerned about blowing off a tire while descending. I'm also not shy about riding in the rain, so I'd probably wear the sidewalls extra too.

If I lived in Texas or somewhere flat, windy, and dry I'd probably already have a set though. I've also considered going with a HED Jet for a front wheel and a cheaper, lighter, all carbon rear wheel since less braking force is applied through the rim on the rear. Or I could just stay with my aluminum wheels.

Last edited by rothwem; 05-17-2024 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-17-2024, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
Yeah, tubulars though. In my reading, its clinchers that you really have to be concerned about with regards to the heat related degradation of the rim material.

I've held off on buying carbon clinchers with rim brakes because my usage is basically a combination of the worst case scenarios: I'm big (195-200 pounds), its very hilly where I am so I'm very concerned about blowing off a tire while descending. I'm also not shy about riding in the rain, so I'd probably wear the sidewalls extra too.

If I lived in Texas or somewhere flat, windy, and dry I'd probably already have a set though. I've also considered going with a HED Jet for a front wheel and a cheaper, lighter, all carbon rear wheel since less braking force is applied through the rim on the rear. Or I could just stay with my aluminum wheels.
I say go for it! Like you I'm a big boy and about 6 months ago picked up a set of BTLOS 45mm carbon clincher wheels, I love it! First, they're superlight. When I build them up, the estimated weight was 1325g +/- 25g. So I thought, 1350g would be awesome. When I got the wheels, they had a little tag on them with the weight for each weight, they added up to 1305g! Wow!

Ride is excellent. Living in the SF Bay Area, one concern I had was how these 45mm deep carbon wheels would behave in the wind. So far, so good! Even riding across the GG Bridge on a windy day isn't too much of an adventure.

Further, many have concerns about braking. I have to admit I don't ride it when its raining and haven't been caught out yet, but so far, in heavy fog, the braking isn't too bad. I use Reynolds blue pads and like them alot. Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!
Old 05-17-2024, 04:02 PM
Member?

I bought a pair of slightly used HED Stinger 4 tubular wheels off the forum. Taped on some 25c tubulars and could not be happier. Only used in dry weather and find the braking to be very good using Black Prince pads.

I have 2 other pairs of aluminum HED wheels for gravel use. I find the quality of the wheels to be very good.

Lots of good wheel choices out there! I hope you find something that works for you.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:03 PM

First ride getting caught in the rain. The gen 2 enve brake track is definitely not as good as aluminum.

Has to do a hard stop, and it did not happen. The brakes just slid across the rim.

Kind of wish I'd kept my other wheels for days like today.

Wet days will be for the moots.
Old 05-17-2024, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post

Correct. Never has been an issue with tubulars. The outer pressure of a clincher on the bead seat/hook is what causes the issue.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:05 PM

I have to give a shout to Corima wheels. I have the WS+ 32mm Clincher. It is a wonderful wheelset. And the hub design is amazing.

https://corima-usa.com/product/ws-32...-brake/#review

Only...well. I have to mention that the braking performance leaves a lot to be desired. The Corima pads are cork. The same as a wine bottle. It seems that the French engineers and builders were drinking wine and thought, what the hell, we'll use the corks as brake pads! They don't stop the bike in dry and in the wet you're on your own. Corima does make a grey all weather brake pad, noted to be 23% more efficient. I can confirm that they are 23% more efficient....than zero. At least your rims will last a long time!

Last edited by mastaliu; 05-18-2024 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-18-2024, 05:56 AM

This is funny^^^^^!