Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Roam v1 vs v2

Hardware:
Better GPS chipset
64 color display (vs 16 on v1)
More onboard storage (more maps)
USB-C port

Software:
Summit segments (real-time hill climb info)
Better routing (especially re-route/return-to-route)

So, more of an evolution than a revolutionary change. And the Roam v2 and Bolt v2 are effectively on-par feature-wise, just different size screens. The Roam v2 has additional rows of LEDs to signal count-down to turns, but I think that's about it.
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:47 PM

I like the v2 but the v1 was easier to read, and the summits thing is only useful on climbs you don't have a feel for. The routing is better on v2, but I don't ride a whole lot of unknown routes so kinda lost on me.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
I like the v2 but the v1 was easier to read, and the summits thing is only useful on climbs you don't have a feel for. The routing is better on v2, but I don't ride a whole lot of unknown routes so kinda lost on me.
Exactly. The b/w V1 is very easy to read, especially at night. Not sure the colors add much.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:25 AM

New darkmode feature on Bolt and Roam V2

See video from GPLama who goes thru this new feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4H3dRXEeeA

If you liked B&W on V1 Bolt this may be good for you.

I had a V1 Bolt and now have the V2 Bolt. The new one is about 5 times better so well worth the upgrade. I would buy the Roam 2 if buying new for larger screen size
Old 03-21-2024, 06:33 AM

Will try that. Didn't know it existed.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

I had a V1 Bolt and now have the V2 Bolt. The new one is about 5 times better so well worth the upgrade. I would buy the Roam 2 if buying new for larger screen size
Cool. I saw that in my new one, but blew it off. Maybe I'll try it
Old 03-21-2024, 08:54 AM
Strong Walker

i'm an old idiot. I like my Bolt V1 for 3 reasons;

- it has a decent enough battery life per charge (i tend to forget to recharge after a ride)
- i can read it even without the newest version of my prescription glasses on
- i remember how to operate both the computer and the app even if i don't use them every day or even every week.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

May try this. I recently switched from a v1 to v2 Bolt. While the summit feature, true navigation, and general snappiness are nice I am finding it more difficult to read than the v1 Bolt.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:49 PM
#RYFB

My BOLT v1's battery degraded and Wahoo sent me a (factory refurbished) v2 replacement. I didn't expect the color screen to be a meaningful improvement but was surprised at how much difference it makes. Specifically, with fields like HR, climb, power etc. that use a color background to show zone I find I don't really need to read the numbers, the background color is enough information most of the time.

I've never used a Garmin head unit but have been curious about the Karoo; my main hesitation is that I think physical buttons are a better UI than a touchscreen for this application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael View Post
The issue with the Karoo is battery life. If you do anything lasting >6hours, and want it to navigate and sync with a power meter, varia, etc, you'll need an auxiliary battery pack.
How much of this drain is attributable to the navigation versus the communication with the sensors? I do plenty of rides >6 hrs but almost never use navigation.

P.S. Thanks for the dark mode tip, will try that.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:15 PM

Most of the time I don't need Navigation.. I use the training features way more than the navigation, but at the same time I would not want to be dependent on cell reception for when I do need Navigation.

Do some of the Wahoos really only last 6 hours? Seems like a deal breaker for a significant market of cyclists unless you can turn off non essential features and stretch that out a lot.

I remember being on rides where people were having to stretch the battery life on the Garmins and/or carry an Aux battery for a Garmin. My 1000 was dicey for a 150 mile ride, you needed to turn off some of the sillier smartphone connection features like SMS messages and weather alerts.

1030, 1030+, 1040 you must need to be doing RAAM or really really long randonneur rides to worry cause they at least doubled the battery life over the 1000 IIRC. 1040 Solar is supposedly 100 hours which is kind of mind blowing if you remember battery life back in the 2000s. My 1030 seems less chatty with the smartphone too which probably helps. Those smartphone features require turning on a radio transmitter which is likely completely shut off if you turn off the smartphone connection, most of these modern devices are able to shut the radio down intermittently or shut down the transmit side independently and wait for the phone to send something like an SMS.

I thought I had read Wahoo got into some trouble financially with their other lines of business?

Last edited by benb; 03-21-2024 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Do some of the Wahoos really only last 6 hours? Seems like a deal breaker for a significant market of cyclists unless you can turn off non essential features and stretch that out a lot.
Can't speak to all models but my v1 Bolt would last for a 200k brevet no problem even when four years old and charged many times. It might make a fast 300k, but for longer than that you would definitely want to top up during the ride with a USB battery pack. All those times are while running a course and with paired HRM, power, radar.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:07 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Do some of the Wahoos really only last 6 hours?

I thought I had read Wahoo got into some trouble financially with their other lines of business?
The 6 hour comment was about the Karoo 2, not Wahoo devices. Even when my v1 BOLT's battery was losing its capacity I never ran out of juice, plenty of rides well over 6 hours.

I don't recall the details but am under the impression that Wahoo overextended itself, excess inventory of trainers and maybe some problems with the Speedplay acquisition. I think someone earlier in the thread said they got new ownership in 2023?
Old 03-21-2024, 02:13 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I don't recall the details but am under the impression that Wahoo overextended itself, excess inventory of trainers and maybe some problems with the Speedplay acquisition. I think someone earlier in the thread said they got new ownership in 2023?
I do recall the trainer and Speedplay woes.. probably a good reason to just update software for what you have for now I guess.. I just think the hardware is getting a bit long in the tooth and, per folks like DCRainmaker, might be a be a bit dated..

but, the Bolt V2 is still doing everything I really need, so..
Old 03-21-2024, 02:48 PM

Excess inventory of trainers sounds familiar.

Same problem as the rest of the industry except we're probably seeing more people want a higher % of their rides outdoors again than during the pandemic which would make this even worse selling trainers than bikes.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
The 6 hour comment was about the Karoo 2, not Wahoo devices. Even when my v1 BOLT's battery was losing its capacity I never ran out of juice, plenty of rides well over 6 hours.

With my Karoo 2 with no navigation using varia radar/light, axs power and shifters/rear derailleur I get about 10 hours with a few hours of spare estimated before needing a charge.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 03-21-2024 at 02:58 PM.