Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2017, 08:14 PM

I feel for independent shop owners trying to scratch out an existence. I split my locally spent funds between two local shops that I prefer. Frankly, the other ones can disappear.
That being said, I have a REAL hard time with the concept that I need to spend my money (I'm trying to scratch out a middle class living too, remember?) supporting the LBS SUPPLIERS that choose to play games with the LBS. It's incredibly unfortunate that the manufacturers are putting the LBS in such a bad position, but at the end of the day, that's a problem for the two of them to work out. Don't make your customer a victim, if you can help it.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrides View Post
It's not that anyone begrudges the shop owners, I'm definitely sympathetic. But in the end, it's not really my job to look out for their bottom line, is it? I'm concerned about my bottom line, reasonably so I think, and that makes the pricing downtown pretty unappealing against some of these easily accessible alternatives.
And most smart bike shop owners don't fault any consumer for buying stuff for less. The bike industry is gooned up, has been for years...but a little understanding of what and why goes a long way.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:32 AM
kg

This is really weird. I'm pretty sure I posted the first reply to the OP, but now my post is gone. I've never had that happen before. It was just a routine post about companies protecting US sales from overseas competitors who are able to offer products cheaper due to tax laws and distributors' practices. I can't imagine there was anything in such a common statement that would encourage the mods to remove it. So, a software glitch? Or I dreamed that I posted? Or I posted on a very similar thread and misremember? Odd.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:08 PM

Kgreene10, the OP started 2 threads on different sub forums. I bet your post is in the other one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-30-2017, 01:14 PM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
Kgreene10, the OP started 2 threads on different sub forums. I bet your post is in the other one

Aha! That sounds likely. I was a little concerned that I had inadvertently written something offensive but couldn't figure what it might have been. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post

YES. I originally accidentally posted in the classified section. When I realized my mistake I tried to delete it but could not figure out how. So, I reposted in general discussion, where I thought it belonged. Sorry for that.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:10 PM

So you agree with price gouging and price fixing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
It's about effing time!!!!

Good on Sidi and Castelli
Old 09-30-2017, 09:12 PM

And this is the same with my business, and all businesses. Times are a changing. No business model will survive on sympathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
And most smart bike shop owners don't fault any consumer for buying stuff for less. The bike industry is gooned up, has been for years...but a little understanding of what and why goes a long way.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:47 PM

True, but when you need help - don't forget your wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
And this is the same with my business, and all businesses. Times are a changing. No business model will survive on sympathy.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
So you agree with price gouging and price fixing?
Like I mentioned, a little research into the what's and whys of bike manufacture and distribution might be in order. Along with that, a little research into margins, and what it takes to keep the lights on.

OBTW-'price fixing' is illegal in Europe and the US. In the US, a bike shop that buys bike widget 'A' can sell it for whatever they wish..BUT when it comes to buying more for sale from a manufacturer or distributor, they might not be able to.

You mentioned in a previous post about things being similar 'in your business'...do you buy and sell stuff? If so, you understand, I hope.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
OBTW-'price fixing' is illegal in Europe and the US. In the US, a bike shop that buys bike widget 'A' can sell it for whatever they wish..BUT when it comes to buying more for sale from a manufacturer or distributor, they might not be able to.
That's pretty much the definition of price fixing. To deny, or threaten to deny, supplying product to a retailer is a form of coercion to enforce participation in price fixing.

As it currently stands, some degree of vertical price fixing is currently allowed under US anti-trust laws, so MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing) schemes as commonly used in the bicycle industry are legal.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:08 AM

I recently purchased several items from Ribble and noticed a very low number of Campy products available (e.g. no groupsets). They had the brake pads I needed but not even an inner Campy gear cable.... Wonder if they are dropping Campy?

That would suck for me.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
I recently purchased several items from Ribble and noticed a very low number of Campy products available (e.g. no groupsets). They had the brake pads I needed but not even an inner Campy gear cable.... Wonder if they are dropping Campy?

That would suck for me.
Doubt it. Probably Campagnolo(and others) ‘tightening’ up distribution channels. Plus new product time....
Old 10-23-2017, 10:35 AM

Ribble has been my go-to for a long time on lots of stuff. It would suck if that source dried up. If they can charge far less than any source in the USA, good for them, and they'll have me as a customer. Maybe how they're doing things is the wave of the future?

For most things, I won't pay close to twice the amount to buy the same item from a retailer in the USA. Tires, drivetrain consumables, etc. When faced with paying $100+ for a Conti Competition from a retailer in the USA vs ~$60 from Ribble, what do you think makes the most sense (unless you need the item right now)?
Old 10-23-2017, 12:01 PM

Bit of a sidenote, but what's your opinion of your LBS' Web presence?
The ones in my area are piss-poor. Outdated, poor designs, poor search.
LBS' need to embrace the internet, not fight it.