Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
And in reality for most users... ?
Yah zero reality as there's almost zero possible machines you can buy with those AMD chipsets that satisfies:

- Runs an OS that is supported for what I do
- Approved by our infosec department

We actually target linux but are not allowed to run it on our desktops/laptops. All the linux stuff is VMs and/or in a datacenter/cloud.

And I've had linux laptops and they suck for anything where you're not plugged in at the desk, at least for my work.
Old 11-14-2023, 09:51 AM

Linux is never going to be a mainstream OS. Just not going to happen. The average user is just not going to want to fiddle with it and has not interest in doing so. The M3 is to get people still on Intel to upgrade. Lots of Mac’s still on Intel. But soon the last Intel Mac’s will not be supported.
Old 11-14-2023, 10:29 AM

I wonder if "Right to Repair" is having an effect on Mac Books? Is everything still hard soldered, including the memory and the SSD? If so, better make sure you don't cheap out on memory and disc capacity.
Old 11-14-2023, 10:39 AM

Yes it’s all on the m3 chip any more.
I have repaired many MacBook Pro thru the years. I am a trained computer tech so it’s easy for me. The average person shouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole.
I understand why this is so as people want small compact computers and the less wiring the better really. A lot of connections make a device less reliable. As connects become loose over time.
Old 11-14-2023, 11:07 AM
Forward the Foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewiser View Post
[snip]
I understand why this is so as people want small compact computers and the less wiring the better really. A lot of connections make a device less reliable. As connects become loose over time.

Ahh the old days, open the Mac with your MacCracker, reseat the memory, and presto your Mac works again.

Or replacing the LS125 on the Apple II floppy controller, to get your 5in disk drive working again, this is after the user plugs the cable in out register.
Old 11-14-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8357 View Post
Ahh the old days, open the Mac with your MacCracker, reseat the memory, and presto your Mac works again.

Or replacing the LS125 on the Apple II floppy controller, to get your 5in disk drive working again, this is after the user plugs the cable in out register.

Yes and replacing the video cable on those white MacBooks. They put the cable thru the hinge and it just worn into opening and closing the lid.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:23 PM

Bumping this back up because my i5 Intel MBP just bit the dust. Well, the graphics card, or monitor cable did. Thankfully still works when plugged into my monitor. The repair is going to be more than it's worth so time to upgrade. Likely going to buy new over refurb.

Day to day use is mostly just office stuff, streaming, and web based interfaces with my work accounts, etc. but planning to get into video editing with a project that the family is working on. Final Cut or similar is in my future.

Looking at a 14" M3 Pro 11/18 Core MBP with a 512GB SSD. Will that be enough on its own? If were to dedicate some extra cash to an upgrade, would it be better to put that into the processor, memory, or SSD space?
Old 05-15-2024, 06:31 PM

Memory and processer would be my vote but I’d imagine for general usage the MacBook Air is sufficient. Ssd storage is so cheap I’d just use external if needed.

I recently got a 15” air and am extremely pleased with it. The screen is beautiful and just the right size for most needs without wishing for an external monitor.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:42 PM

From the tasks you described anything beyond a M2 Mac Air is just a luxury. You can hardly ever go wrong with RAM memory.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:51 PM

Quote:
And in reality for most users... ?
And in reality for most users, benchmarks don't mean squat.

I was a PC user for decades, then went Mac. Will never go back.

I've had a series of Airs and Retina Pros and Mac Minis.

Now I've got a Mac Mini M2 and an Air M2, and my wife has an M1.

They do everything flawlessly, with plenty of speed.

Ease of use is head and shoulders over the Windows platform (which I still have to use periodically to pull codes on my Audi).

Between ease of use and reduced security risk (seems hackers tend to target Windows and specifically the latest MSFT browser), the Mac is my choice by far.

Again, realworld use trumps benchmarks every day.
Sampson
HotTubes
LtSpeed
SpeshFat
Old 05-15-2024, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
Looking at a 14" M3 Pro 11/18 Core MBP with a 512GB SSD. Will that be enough on its own? If were to dedicate some extra cash to an upgrade, would it be better to put that into the processor, memory, or SSD space?
Memory and SSD...although you can always run an external drive. I'd go with at least 1TB internal. Note, memory these days is impossible to upgrade, so buy the max you can afford at time of purchase.
Sampson
HotTubes
LtSpeed
SpeshFat
Old 05-15-2024, 07:09 PM

If I'm buying new, and want to upgrade, always memory. You can always add external storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Again, realworld use trumps benchmarks every day.
I'm with you there.

After switching the whole house over to apple years ago, its so much easier. Dont have any problems, equipment lasts forever, everything seamlessly talks to each other.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:51 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
If I'm buying new, and want to upgrade, always memory. You can always add external storage.
external storage on a laptop? that sounds cumbersome at best.. assuming you want to be able to access what is on the ext storage whenever you want..

the only issue I've ever had with Mac laptops is the batteries going out.. my current Air (13" 2020 Retina) is to the point where the battery gets hot and the fan runs and the battery runs down.. not the biggest deal as I've replaced Macbook batteries before and it's fairly simple.. otherwise, been a total Mac family since around 2008 when I finally got fed-up with my HP laptop..

Last edited by fourflys; 05-15-2024 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-15-2024, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
external storage on a laptop? that sounds cumbersome at best.. assuming you want to be able to access what is on the ext storage whenever you want..
Ok, so use a NAS
Old 05-15-2024, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
Not really...my wife plugs her M1 laptop into a hub that provides LAN connectivity, HDMI connector, multiple USB C connectors and power.

At the other end of the network is a NAS. We just use it for backup. For a while I also had an active music and video library ripped. But with almost everything available online...

One of those USB C connectors could be a large flash drive.

*If* you can afford it, a large internal SSD drive is optimal. But if you need additional storage, it's pretty straightforward.
Sampson
HotTubes
LtSpeed
SpeshFat