Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2024, 08:44 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Makes a lot of sense if you think about market differentiation. In any case, I'd keep my 200 series over either of them.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley View Post
Truly a shame that the new GX gets the twin turbo V6, but the new Land Cruiser only is available with the 4 cylinder. Makes no sense because they share the same platform. They should have made the tt V6 as an option for the LC.
A buddy of mine just got his GX delivered after a year long wait list. He's only had it a couple of days and I've been begging him to bring it by. Really like the looks of these and can't wait to check it out.
Old 05-16-2024, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Makes a lot of sense if you think about market differentiation. In any case, I'd keep my 200 series over either of them.
Previous generations have always had the same drivetrain, LX/LC, why differentiate now?

Like you, I'll keep my LX450/LX470 over either of these new offerings.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:02 PM

Have to say I was surprised the Turbo V6 not offered.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Perhaps I'll be proven wrong, but I dont see how these turbo small displacement engines are going to have near the legendary durability and longevity as the more traditional drivetrains.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Perhaps I'll be proven wrong, but I dont see how these turbo small displacement engines are going to have near the legendary durability and longevity as the more traditional drivetrains.
It is truly impressive the power that these new turbocharged 4 cylinder engines can make, but the 1FZ-FE (I-6) and 2UZ-FE (V8) are absolutely legendary, we'll see if Toyota can keep their legendary status with these new motors.

Last edited by muttley; 05-16-2024 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:27 PM

I suspect they’ll be fine with the engines.

Someone in my townhouse development has one and I’ll eventually stop and ask how they like it. I first saw it yesterday.

From my own research I’d like the very base model with cloth seats and no sunroof and minimal other stuff or the fully kitted out one. Same basic vehicle. I like fabric seats and I love no sunroof.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:56 PM
Vendor

Quote:
YouTuber Tinkerer's Adventure posed this exact question to Toyota's engineer:
https://youtu.be/1XdaccfMxn4?feature=shared

The video also goes on to interview a Toyota mechanic who said he had to replace main bearings on these later engines with very low miles.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:09 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I suspect they’ll be fine with the engines.
Yeah, I agree. Every new iteration of Toyota engines had folks worried about longevity. Most, or maybe all went through teething phase but turned out fine.
I’m sure the new crop of turbo engines will go a long time. Toyota is not new to turbo’s.

The ecoboost in my F150 has been doing just fine for the past 5 years. The fellow who bought my prior 2015 F150 (2.7 Ecoboost) has been driving it without issues as well, with well over 100k miles, a lot of it towing. Well-built turbo engines will last a long time.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post

The ecoboost in my F150 has been doing just fine for the past 5 years. The fellow who bought my prior 2015 F150 (2.7 Ecoboost) has been driving it without issues as well, with well over 100k miles, a lot of it towing. Well-built turbo engines will last a long time.
Cute anecdotal story, but a 9 year old truck with 100k miles is not the kind of durability we're talking about here. Literally any vehicle on the road can do that.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:40 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Cute anecdotal story, but a 9 year old truck with 100k miles is not the kind of durability we're talking about here. Literally any vehicle on the road can do that.
I guess my point was there are always critics and worry warts that question anything new that comes out, but in the end, all work out just fine.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:54 AM

Quote:
There is not a single BMW on the planet that has gone 100k miles without several thousand dollars repairing oil leaks.

I suspect Toyota is not messing around with their reliability.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
There is not a single BMW on the planet that has gone 100k miles without several thousand dollars repairing oil leaks.
Shrug. I have one in my garage if you'd like to come take a look at it.

Anyway, we wont know for 10+ years what the real story is with these new engines, so we can just shelf the durability question for now.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Shrug. I have one in my garage if you'd like to come take a look at it.
I'll pass, I dont want to catch anything
Old 05-17-2024, 08:44 AM

Honestly, at what point does it not make business sense for Toyota to continue to build LC's with an eye towards lasting 30 years?

The slice of their customer base that actually has that expectation (versus parroting it as a talking point) as opposed to those who will replace it in 3-7 years is probably miniscule.

With all the electronics and infotainment etc these days, every car is basically an appliance, for better or worse.