Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2023, 11:06 AM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Monday's return match should be interesting.

Does T&T try to play expansively to cut the 3 goal deficit?
Does the USMNT adopt the traditional away team counter approach, perhaps with a 4-3-3?
Or do they continue with the "Berhalter Ball" high pressure tactic, with the risk/reward associated with that?
Old 11-20-2023, 07:14 PM

Ooph, Dest lost his marbles there. His stock has tanked quite a bit in the last two years, unfortunately.

Thankfully, there's Scally, but that #2 jersey is up for grabs.
Old 11-20-2023, 07:51 PM

Dest sure did lose his mind there and Turner has looked shaky at times. The ****housery in the second half has been very enjoyable though to waste time.

Old 11-20-2023, 08:06 PM

Dest is a liability. Offensively gifted, weak defensively & now 2 red cards.

If I were GB, he would be done. Scally can fill that void.

How FIFA allows crappy pitches like that is unacceptable (I know, CONCACAF, but still)
Old 11-20-2023, 08:18 PM

More drama - what could have happened that would explain that outburst.
He is our best back but now what. His red changed the game. The entire team was p*ssed at him. Will he remain on the squad?
Old 11-21-2023, 06:24 AM

Barcelona and Milan didn't want Dest. Is he farmers league material at this point? To be competitive I think Pulisic needs to be the USMNT's worst player. In other words, still a long way to go
Old 11-21-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytyree View Post
Dest was frustrating to me, the through balls to nowhere ended too many moves.
I’ve clearly upset him
Old 11-21-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
More drama - what could have happened that would explain that outburst.
He is our best back but now what. His red changed the game. The entire team was p*ssed at him. Will he remain on the squad?
Probably need to use the past perfect tense. Functionally, both Scally and Robinson are now at least on equal footings, if not better.

I get the sense that his move to Barça was premature. Natural talent can open a lot of doors, but he doesn't seem to have convinced various managers.

Robinson has comparatively more humble beginnings and was dealt a really bad hand when a heart conditions was detected during the physical needed for a potential transfer to AC Milan derailed the transfer. Fortunately for him, the treatment for the condition worked, but his career was also briefly sidetracked. I get the sense that this vicissitude, which was completely out of his control, probably made him more mature.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:46 AM

Was it Koeman that wanted him at Barca?
Old 11-21-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Probably need to use the past perfect tense. Functionally, both Scally and Robinson are now at least on equal footings, if not better.

I get the sense that his move to Barça was premature. Natural talent can open a lot of doors, but he doesn't seem to have convinced various managers.

Robinson has comparatively more humble beginnings and was dealt a really bad hand when a heart conditions was detected during the physical needed for a potential transfer to AC Milan derailed the transfer. Fortunately for him, the treatment for the condition worked, but his career was also briefly sidetracked. I get the sense that this vicissitude, which was completely out of his control, probably made him more mature.
Maybe it's the anti-barca/USA hype streak in me, but what's with all the Dest love?
He basically had 1-ish good year, in the Netherlands where he also was losing his place half the time in big games. Can't defend, plays like a fast winger and can't stick a place in a good team. Seems like on who's bought his media hype that he's big time and will piss his career away...

Robinson and Scally are both performing solidly for mid-table teams (a bit generous for Fulham..) in top leagues, Scally being solidly in the team for a while now, and yet Dest is our best bet? Don't we want someone who can also defend on that side?
Old 11-21-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
Maybe it's the anti-barca/USA hype streak in me, but what's with all the Dest love?
He basically had 1-ish good year, in the Netherlands where he also was losing his place half the time in big games. Can't defend, plays like a fast winger and can't stick a place in a good team. Seems like on who's bought his media hype that he's big time and will piss his career away...
Occasional brilliance and pedigree. And he does possess qualities few on this team have, and that was on display when he scored against Kaylor Navas with a curler from outside the box. But overall, it's always more about promise than present substance.

But promise goes only so far, and sustained success requires more than the occasional moment of brilliance, and it would appear that he hasn't really hunkered down since signing with Barça.

Dest isn't necessarily an outlier in terms of graduates of various established European academies, and there have been many who actually got first team playing time, transferred to even bigger clubs, and whose careers never fully flourished. He was special b/c such a scenario really hasn't occurred to a USMNT player before, much less for a player who had the opportunity to represent a stronger nation but chose the U.S.

Last edited by echappist; 11-21-2023 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:21 PM

Anyone watch the final (Concacaf Nations League) - another shutout - they clearly have Mexio's number.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:43 AM

Turned it off after Reyna scored the second goal (seriously, a 9:15 PM start EDT?????)
El Tri looked horrible. Ochoa is way past his prime. A better keeper stops both those.
Having said that, it was great to see Tyler Adams back. He totally rocks. Makes everyone around him better.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Turned it off after Reyna scored the second goal (seriously, a 9:15 PM start EDT?????)
El Tri looked horrible. Ochoa is way past his prime. A better keeper stops both those.
Having said that, it was great to see Tyler Adams back. He totally rocks. Makes everyone around him better.
IDK - Adams couldn't have hit that any better. Maybe Reynas shot could have been saved but it was pinpoint down and low perfect - and let's not deny the work CP put in to make that cross.
Yes Mexico was not sharp - but you can only play the team they put in front of you - I was pleasantly surprised, especially after that debacle against Jamaica.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
IDK - Adams couldn't have hit that any better. Maybe Reynas shot could have been saved but it was pinpoint down and low perfect - and let's not deny the work CP put in to make that cross.
Yes Mexico was not sharp - but you can only play the team they put in front of you - I was pleasantly surprised, especially after that debacle against Jamaica.
Saw the replay. USMNT looked quite easy on the eyes.

Next up would be to go toe-to-toe against bigger teams in friendlies and doing well in Copa America (at least reaching the semis with favourable draw).