Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
Now you've gone and spoiled them with all that room on that trip, bad move!

I don't think any of the new wagons have a third row, or at least a usable third row. Personally, I think the nicest wagon out there right now is the Volvo V90, and that new V60 looks really nice as well.

The way I see it, if you need (or want) that much room, a big SUV or minivan is the only was to get it. There aren't a lot of big wagons out there, and even the biggest ones are still way smaller than the biggest SUV, and they are from luxury companies, so pricey.

Personally, if I wanted a vehicle with that much room, I would opt for a minivan. Tons of room, much easier to access the third row, and better fuel economy.

We did a family trip this past summer to Montana and spent 4 long days in a rental Chrysler Pacifica touring Yellowstone and the Tetons. My wife and I, my father in law, my son(20) and my 2 daughters(17 & 13), and we were perfectly comfortable, easy in and out, and so many cup holders! My kids actually started calling it the Ferrari of minivans! That might have something to do with my driving though...

As others have mentioned, I think it makes sense to just rent a big vehicle for those rare long trips, and keep your day to day car of a reasonable size. Even with 3 kids, our biggest vehicle is a VW Tiguan, which is surprisingly roomy in the second row. If it's not all 5 of us traveling, we take my VW GSW TDI and enjoy 50mpg and no fill ups for 500-600 miles.
I can see all sorts of families being happy with a sport wagon or various alternatives, but for family trips for larger families or larger kids (at least, with a family of 5 or more), a minivan really does have a lot to offer. We've had them, and we just rented a Sienna for a vacay that started in Miami and proceeded down to the Keys. A proper, non-squashed third row, plus luggage space, plus it drives like a more-than-adequate car, if not a fun car, while getting decent mileage.

Growing up, family road trips took place in an Olds Vista Cruiser. The third row reclined very nicely: that is, we would lie down in the "way back."
Old 01-10-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
Now you've gone and spoiled them with all that room on that trip, bad move!

I don't think any of the new wagons have a third row, or at least a usable third row. Personally, I think the nicest wagon out there right now is the Volvo V90, and that new V60 looks really nice as well.

The way I see it, if you need (or want) that much room, a big SUV or minivan is the only was to get it. There aren't a lot of big wagons out there, and even the biggest ones are still way smaller than the biggest SUV, and they are from luxury companies, so pricey.

Personally, if I wanted a vehicle with that much room, I would opt for a minivan. Tons of room, much easier to access the third row, and better fuel economy.

We did a family trip this past summer to Montana and spent 4 long days in a rental Chrysler Pacifica touring Yellowstone and the Tetons. My wife and I, my father in law, my son(20) and my 2 daughters(17 & 13), and we were perfectly comfortable, easy in and out, and so many cup holders! My kids actually started calling it the Ferrari of minivans! That might have something to do with my driving though...

As others have mentioned, I think it makes sense to just rent a big vehicle for those rare long trips, and keep your day to day car of a reasonable size. Even with 3 kids, our biggest vehicle is a VW Tiguan, which is surprisingly roomy in the second row. If it's not all 5 of us traveling, we take my VW GSW TDI and enjoy 50mpg and no fill ups for 500-600 miles.
You can get a Tesla Model S with an optional rear facing 3rd row. TBH, it looks a little award back there.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:04 AM

In our recent search for a vehicle, we looked so hard for a car with a viable third row option. Desperately wanted to make a Golf SW TDI work, but with number of kids we're shuttling around it just didn't have enough seat belts. In the end, we went with a 2nd generation Highlander, which is nothing more than an overbuilt Camry. That said, it was shortest wheelbase we could find that had a usable third row of seat belts. Six months in, we're very happy with the vehicle, though I still wish there was a more efficient people mover out there.

We looked very hard at the various minivans on the market, but my wife liked driving the Highlander more (ironically, it is more 'car-like' than the vans in its road manners).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
All those pics of wagons with a third row. The family drove up to Chicago (two kids, getting big at 8 & 10) last week, and rather than putting the miles on our car and listening to them fight in the back seat, we grabbed a university fleet car with a third row. It was a big Ford Explorer. Each kid got his own row, did Legos, had books and toys, almost no fighting and almost no complaints for either 8.5 hour leg.

We own a Jetta sportwagen and a Subaru Outback, both are fine, but they feel a bit cramped for longer road trips. Both the wife and kids were like "We should get an SUV." Just out of curiosity, are there any large wagons still being made with a third row? I think there is a Mercedes, but we don't want to spend that kind of coin.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I want a pair of these in silver (and have an extra set of 16in steel wheels)

My wife and I are expecting our first kid. It’s normal for people to ask me if/when we are selling our Golf and Sportwagen for family cars.
now thats funny
Old 01-10-2019, 10:30 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
All those pics of wagons with a third row. The family drove up to Chicago (two kids, getting big at 8 & 10) last week, and rather than putting the miles on our car and listening to them fight in the back seat, we grabbed a university fleet car with a third row. It was a big Ford Explorer. Each kid got his own row, did Legos, had books and toys, almost no fighting and almost no complaints for either 8.5 hour leg.

We own a Jetta sportwagen and a Subaru Outback, both are fine, but they feel a bit cramped for longer road trips. Both the wife and kids were like "We should get an SUV." Just out of curiosity, are there any large wagons still being made with a third row? I think there is a Mercedes, but we don't want to spend that kind of coin.
That's pretty well why my parents got into full size vans: lots and lots of room. The last they had was a Ford with the 4.9 I-6. Great van. Great engine.

Me? I want to be able to stick my bike(s) in the back during inclement weather without removing anything other than a front wheel. I'd prefer that the bikes stood up. IOW: similar to my 88 Golf

Smallest thing* that fits that description seems to be a 4Runner.

M

*that I want to drive. Yeah, I know Toasters will do that, but they're Toasters. Blech
Old 01-10-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_11 View Post
You can get a Tesla Model S with an optional rear facing 3rd row. TBH, it looks a little award back there.
But that's neither a wagon nor affordable!
Old 01-10-2019, 11:02 AM

I feel as though ive stepped into a "rabbit hole". I had no idea VWs had such a weird cult following. I just want a wagon that drives nice, has awd or fwd for snow and fishing oops days, holds my dogs and bikes, and gets 30mph.

these sportwagens or alltracks seem better than subarus in most ways, am i missing something? i foudn the subaru to drive a bit moisy, how are these VWs for road noise?

what model do i want? its at least 40 mins to a dealership, so id like to have some education first.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
I feel as though ive stepped into a "rabbit hole". I had no idea VWs had such a weird cult following. I just want a wagon that drives nice, has awd or fwd for snow and fishing oops days, holds my dogs and bikes, and gets 30mph.

these sportwagens or alltracks seem better than subarus in most ways, am i missing something? i foudn the subaru to drive a bit moisy, how are these VWs for road noise?

what model do i want? its at least 40 mins to a dealership, so id like to have some education first.
VWs have a very strong cult following! Especially the TDI diesels!

Let's discount those for now, as there are no more new ones anyway.

First decide if you need AWD or are fine with FWD. If FWD, there's basically one model, the Golf Sportwagon, with I think 3 different trim levels, S, SE, or SEL, with increasing amounts of tech, comfort, and price.

If you want AWD, there's 2 options. The regular Sportwagon can be had with AWD in limited trim options. Then there's the Alltrack, which is basically a raised up Sportwagon with 'Subaru Outback' like treatment. If you frequent bumpy dirt roads, it's a good option. Also available in S, SE, & SEL trims.

If you want a manual transmission, only some of those models are available with it.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
have you looked at the vw website yet? start there.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
have you looked at the vw website yet? start there.
Yeah, its pretty well summarized above. I called the dealer to check whats in stock, and not much! Maybe 1 or 2. wow, every third carr round these parts is an outback, youd think they could sell a few of these too!

Also looking into used models, any years that are worth looking at over others?

thanks team, probably looking most closely at the Sportwagen SE FWD. I want some bells and whistles, but probably dont need every modern feature there is. the alltrack sounds good for those times when im fishing and oops, theres a really crap bit of road, but im not sure i use that often enough to sacrifice gas mileage.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:01 PM

My name is Bob and for 30 years I've been in the closet about my desire for owning a VW. After they have been discovered to have engaged in a world wide conspiracy to defraud both government agencies and their customers, well...its about time I bought one.

The wagons look very, very good. 6 year/72k warranty might be marketing, but it is always something VW has needed in my opinion.

I'm working on a 2019 6spd Golf GTI S or a Rabbit purchase. Pray for me.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:06 PM

Im now apparently the owner of a new sportwagen!
Old 01-10-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
That was quick!
Old 01-10-2019, 04:08 PM
cmg

Quote:
your going have to provide details and maybe even a photo now.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:14 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
your going have to provide details and maybe even a photo now.
yeah, you can't just waltz in here saying 'I own a Sportwagen' without pics!

That's just not done!

M