Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2023, 09:33 AM

A SRAM Force 165mm crank for my gravel bike and a back up shifter, Red eTap 11 speed right side, for one that has way too much play in it. A Garmin 1/4 turn mount that I thought I left one at my daughters house in El Cerrito, turns out I did since it was in the cycling shoes I have there.

Today I ride to the summit of El Diablo.
Old 10-17-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
While staring at your own crotch, pretty embarrassing!
I read Cipollini used this saddle, as he enjoyed staring at his own crotch and wanted to quantify the time spent. Legend has it that his record is 20 minutes straight.
Old 10-21-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primov8 View Post
I've never owned or ridden a steel road bike so finally pulled the trigger on building one up. I wanted a modern geo-steel frameset but didn't want to go custom and wanted to keep the cost somewhat reasonable. My first choice would've been an Eddy Merckx Liege 75, molteni orange but finding one new or used yielded nothing. I did find an EM Strada, molteni brown from a UK based LBS and it arrived yesterday.
Do you have a photo of this built up yet? brown bikes ✅

Last edited by Miller76; 10-21-2023 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Wrong
Old 10-22-2023, 01:03 AM

Got a new pair of Rock-n-Roads to replace my worn ones. Also got some tpu tubes to try just out of curiosity.
Old 10-22-2023, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unovis View Post
Got a new pair of Rock-n-Roads to replace my worn ones. Also got some tpu tubes to try just out of curiosity.
Let us know what you think of those tubes. Everything that I've read says their very noisy, and ride harsher than any other tube, but they also seem to roll as good as latex, and will last a long time, the 50/50 thing is some say they are better against flats and some haven't noticed a difference.

I'm seriously considering getting a pair of Specialized Turbo Cotton tires, a pair of latex tubes, and due to the low puncture resistance put in a pair of Clear Motion Rhinodillo tire liners at least in the rear. But supposedly the combination of the Cotton and Latex will ride as comfortable as tubulars are known for. The Specialized is the cheapest of that sort of tire too, whereas the Vittoria Corsa are another $30 each, but they have lower rolling resistance, which I'm not racing so I don't care about that. The Specialized uses a lightweight version of their black belt flat protection, Vitts have no protection.
Old 10-22-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
Let us know what you think of those tubes. Everything that I've read says their very noisy, and ride harsher than any other tube, but they also seem to roll as good as latex, and will last a long time, the 50/50 thing is some say they are better against flats and some haven't noticed a difference.

I'm seriously considering getting a pair of Specialized Turbo Cotton tires, a pair of latex tubes, and due to the low puncture resistance put in a pair of Clear Motion Rhinodillo tire liners at least in the rear. But supposedly the combination of the Cotton and Latex will ride as comfortable as tubulars are known for. The Specialized is the cheapest of that sort of tire too, whereas the Vittoria Corsa are another $30 each, but they have lower rolling resistance, which I'm not racing so I don't care about that. The Specialized uses a lightweight version of their black belt flat protection, Vitts have no protection.
i have been running Schwalbe aerothan tubes and they roll smoother than the xtra light tubes they replaced. Jensonusa has them for under $25 so I took a chance and liked them enough ordered a second set as spares.
Old 10-22-2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
i have been running Schwalbe aerothan tubes and they roll smoother than the xtra light tubes they replaced. Jensonusa has them for under $25 so I took a chance and liked them enough ordered a second set as spares.
How much louder are the over butyl tubes? From what I've heard they are significantly louder.
Old 10-22-2023, 08:04 PM

1973 Pog 9790, in resto-mod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6591.jpg (152.7 KB, 274 views)
Old 10-22-2023, 08:43 PM

I received my new Moots Routt RSL in July. Had the Frame Fork and Seatpost cerakoted by Black Magic.

I’ve been riding carbon bikes for well over 15 years and it’s been a bit longer since I last owned a Titanium bike so I really looked forward to building this one up.

Shimano 9170 Dura-Ace Di2 groupo set up 1x with Shimano XTR rear der. Chris King headset Enve stem and handlebar. Chris King R45D hubs on Reserve carbon hoops. Challenge Getaway 700x40 handmade tires.
Kept it 11 speed since I have a few wheel sets between another Gravel bike and my Road bike.

Really nice to have a Titanium bike back in the stable… truly forgot how smooth these bikes ride.
Old 10-22-2023, 09:32 PM

Craigslist find

campagnolo-bullet-ultra-50-clincher-wheels
with wheels bags
I had a build that needed wheels
Old 10-22-2023, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
How much louder are the over butyl tubes? From what I've heard they are significantly louder.
Mine are not louder.
Old 11-24-2023, 02:14 PM

Black Friday purchase, not the most economical buy but no one else seems to make a tool with the same array of functionality. Owning both Campagnolo and Shimano center locking rotors you need both ends of the tool.

Last edited by m_sasso; 11-24-2023 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 03:28 PM

Hirame Schrader guts. Came with an extra 3 rubber washers.
Works just like and as well as the Presta guts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hirame.JPG (117.8 KB, 119 views)
Old 12-01-2023, 03:37 PM

Cane Creek 110-series, external-cup headset while they were having their 40% off Black Friday sale. It should arrive tomorrow. A $160 headset for $96 is a pretty good deal!
Old 12-01-2023, 04:56 PM
Two wheels good

Couldn't resist

Litespeed often has sales but their Black Friday Week Sale was just too tempting this time. Planning to keep my Seven but I want to run larger tires than 25c. So... N+1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LS Ultimate Disc.jpg (61.4 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by avalonracing; 12-01-2023 at 04:59 PM.