Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2016, 10:43 AM

Approximately 700 bucks every 40k miles to service the dsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
I believe that the buy in cost for the DSG over the MT is anywhere from $1K to $1.5K. I am not sure on the maintenance costs.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:57 AM

Dealer charged me $216 for the DSG service at 40K mile intervals.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
How much higher are the maintenance costs of the DSG tranny, compared to a 6MT? I've seen something about $$service every 40K or so, yes?

Wondering a little lately about switching to DSG instead of the MT - in my advancing age, every now and then, driving my 2009 JSW MT, I notice I'm in the wrong gear...
Yes, 40K intervals, and I've read it's something in the $300-400 range but that may vary with locale, etc. and it is possible to DIY if you're so inclined.

For me it's more that driving a manual in heavily congested traffic is zero fun. I was seriously considering trying the 6MT and then I went to the Shenandoah Fall Festival. I was stuck in bumper-to-bumper for 30-45 min at both ends of I66, at the Beltway and at I81. It was boring with the DSG but it would have been completely unbearable with a manual, and that really made me reconsider even trying one.

There are other issues that might make you question a manual as well: losing boost on turbocharged engines during the shift with a consequent major performance slump; the so-called "money-shift" (accidentally downshifting from 3 to 2 and redlining while trying to upshift to 4, which they say is much more common with 6 speeds than anything I ever experienced with the 4s and 5s I've driven in the past) to name a couple.

I'd definitely recommend trying one. They take some getting used to if you're coming from a torque converter automatic, but it may give you everything you really care about in a manual when you want it, and automatic operation if feel like leaving it to its own devices.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowlpats View Post
That's reasonable. The parts cost is $125. Anything more than that is highway robbery.

As for boost and the 6MT, a turbo with a manual is a match made in heaven. Yes, it will be a few tenths slower than a DSG but it is a boatload more fun. A manual in traffic can be a hassle or no big deal. It depends on the car, the clutch, the engine, and your patience.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
A manual in traffic can be a hassle or no big deal. It depends on the car, the clutch, the engine, and your patience.
This.

Nasty in older American iron with a big V8 and a stiff clutch.

Or... if you're trying to eat and text at the same time.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:10 PM

Got my offer for the beetle, still waiting on the audi.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:38 AM

i prefer manual in traffic to be quite honest. more focus and less tailgating.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:18 AM

I like this quote much better, just repeated what I was quoted at the 30k service by the local dealership

Got to a point I hated a clutch in traffic after many years. The dsg does work nice, I am a little leery of it long term. Thinking about getting a crv to replace the tdi and it has a CVV, that's got my mind racing a little bit. Actually didn't notice it at first as it does "shift" so to speak. Much better than some rentals I've been in over the past few years

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowlpats View Post

Last edited by peanutgallery; 12-10-2016 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:28 AM