Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2024, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Best components ever made
I have to agree.

I have been using Campy N/R and Super Record componentry ever since it became available.

All my bicycle associated tools (including a plethora or Campy) are centered around this gruppo. Easy as heck to work on and refit when required, reliable, and very durable.

I love that all I need is quite literally, a small handful of tools to take with me on the road (in a tiny seat bag) and confidently be able to service most problems out on the road, without any serious issues.

I can appreciate the newer technology, but for myself, this stuff does exactly what I want and a pleasure to use!

Boom.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:56 AM

Quote:
best components ever made
+1^2
Old 03-08-2024, 10:09 AM

All my road bikes are running Campy 10 speed. It’s beautiful, works well, can be serviced when needed, and parts are still readily available.

I have a pristine 10 speed group that I’ve pieced together over the years and it’s been waiting for the perfect project. I have a new Kirk on the way and for a moment I thought of using 12 speed, but only for a moment. That 10 speed group has waited long enough, it’s going on the Kirk!
Old 03-08-2024, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onomic View Post
All my road bikes are running Campy 10 speed. It’s beautiful, works well, can be serviced when needed, and parts are still readily available.

I have a pristine 10 speed group that I’ve pieced together over the years and it’s been waiting for the perfect project. I have a new Kirk on the way and for a moment I thought of using 12 speed, but only for a moment. That 10 speed group has waited long enough, it’s going on the Kirk!
^THIS^ is the correct choice
Old 03-08-2024, 12:33 PM

If one is/was fortunate enough to pick up an IRD Wide Range Campy 10 cassette (long out of production), 11-32, 12-32 & 11-34 were available options (they shift well). That said, the old Shimano 9 MTB rear derailleur trick to run a Shimano 10 cassette opens up big cogs to 40T or maybe even 42T (40T is the largest I've run with an XT long cage, but 42T "might" work with the right hanger/chainstay/chainring/derailleur combo) and shifts as well as all Campy.

Last edited by donevwil; 03-08-2024 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 01:01 PM
PegoNagos

I am running Campagnolo 10s Record/Chorus on 10 of my bikes. I have another build that's almost done which is Campagnolo 10s too, as will be the Pegoretti that I will build this summer.

#campagnolo10forlife
Old 03-08-2024, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Best components ever made
Agree. Durable, tactile, rebuildable, and set & forget setup. My personal fav is the '07 UT Carbon RE10 stuff.
Old 03-09-2024, 05:50 AM

I loved Campy Record 10 speed, except for replacing the g-springs. Campy 11 was much easier to service but the 10 speed just felt much better to me.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:14 AM

I regard the Campagnolo ten speed parts as the last parts from the company that were designed to be durable, serviceable, functional, and beautiful in equal measure. Beyond that point, Campagnolo began to head in a different direction and became much more like their competitors. I find it interesting how many people recognized the change when it was happening and made the decision to draw a line and remain with the ten speed parts.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:51 PM

First Gen 10 spd levers are the only ones that work for me. My hands are too large for gumby Campy, Shimano or SRAM. I expect to be C10 'til I can't ride anymore. Plus, compatibility with any 9-11 spd cranks, Shimano 10 using a S9 rear derailleur with either Shimergo cable routing or a JTek shiftmate, allows any gear range I'd ever want. I see no reason for 11, 12, 13 spd for my current type of riding.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
What's the actual question?
+1

It's the forum equivalent of a click bait headline.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
What's the actual question?

Of course Record and Chorus are up to 12 now, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with, or preventing someone from still riding 10sp stuff.

As far as I know, 10-sp consumables, cassettes, chains, etc are still available and being made.
Yep, they're still producing Veloce and Centaur 10speed cassettes, record and veloce chains, chorus square taper bb, and Record/Chorus chainrings, both for 110bcd and 135bcd. Record 1' threaded headsets are also still being made.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:44 PM

Personally I scratched that itch and moved on. There was a time I was always looking for campy 10 stuff. I have owned a bunch of it and cherished it but changing priorities like wanting lower gears, less expensive consumable and less specific tools and wheels... I've gotten rid of it all. I find the shimano eco system more friendly to lower gears, mix n matching and affordable and infinitely configurable vs the very rigid way I used to think and behave w campy 10 (snob mode - everything had to match HS, Post, Hubs).

I'm now much more loose with what I run (hello Claris 8sp!)

If there are others like me, then Campagnolo 10 might be slightly less of a thing. FWIW
Old 03-07-2024, 05:54 PM

Still ride 6 speed and 10 speed. Gears don’t make you faster it’s all in your legs.
Old 03-07-2024, 06:47 PM

I went to 10s Campy a while ago, like 2005-2006. Decided that all the bikes in the house would have it, so I'd have spares on other bikes, like the tandem (10s Campy levers moving Shimano 9s derailleurs) and my wife's bike. I have 2 road bikes.

I've since "upgraded/downgraded" from Record/Chorus to Centaur (?) shifters, one shift at a time, so I can shift during sprints and not shift 2 gears by accident.

I probably have another 5 years of cassettes and chains left. I have 2 sets of levers that are pretty fresh (the Record/Chorus ones that I took off my bike), plus the levers on the tandem and my wife's bike (both are pretty crisp). I have at least 4 sets of current wheels, 3 sets of narrow rim wheels.

No plans on upgrading or changing right now.