Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2018, 04:55 PM
Everything is connected

I just picked up a Honda CRV EXL for my wife and it came down to the CRV and a Mazda CX5 for me. The Mazda really rides and handles well as I had rented one for a business trip, drove in a snowstorm and it was awesome....nice power, interior and finishes.

I've owned too many Hondas though and the servicing dealer is right across the river from us so that closed the deal. The CRV has a lot more trunk room and holds its value longer, but as I hold onto cars until they die, that wasn't so important. That particular dealer offers lifetime oil changes and state inspections, which equates to about $150-175/year...5 quality cases of beer/year according to my math.

Btw, no financing deals on the CRV around here as its the best seller for Honda right now. If that's an issue for you, Mazda and Subaru were offering 0%. However the EXL was $2K less that the Grand Touring version of the CX5 too and as i don't really need factory GPS, I went with the Honda.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:55 PM

OT - Compact SUV

I’ll put the plug-in for a Subaru Forester or Outback as well. Best AWD for winter conditions and adding snow tires is like wearing a belt and suspenders.

And since safety is a high priority by the OP, they are top rated by IIHS and govt.

And they’re easily price competitive with the mentioned models. Plus, in Maine, there are many dealers and shade-tree mechanics nearby that can fix a Subie (if needed). You might want to check how close is a dealer for the other makes that you’re considering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
..........I also drove a Honda CR-V and came close to doing one of them. Plus for the CR-V is fuel economy, which is quite impressive for the size and utility of the vehicle. .............
The Honda HRV is a bit smaller and fuel economy is better - and you still get the reliability of a Honda.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:04 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Agree on the Subie suggestion.

Impreza if a "wagon" is OK, and move up to the bigger ones if that's what she needs.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
The Honda HRV is a bit smaller and fuel economy is better - and you still get the reliability of a Honda.
I did a lengthy test drive and basically liked it. I am a longtime VW owner and live my German cars, even though the Tiguan sold in the US is basically made for the US market.

The Tiguan seemed very roomy and the interior materials seemed a bit nicer. But really it’s splitting hairs and the Honda is really nice too. I’d get the Touring for the upgraded sound system and more LED lights.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:12 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
We are looking at the HR-V for our son when he heads off to college (depending where he goes, if he needs a car).

+100 on the Honda reliability...I have a 2003 Pilot that just won't die...
Old 05-02-2018, 05:18 PM
n - 1

From those, I would go CRV. Many friends and family with them and have yet to hear a single problem. A co-worker had a CX5 and it was good for the first 80k, then started having problems. Anecdotal, I know.

Subaru is excellent. Get an Impreza. AWD and gets 36mpg. Our Outback (4th Gen) was awesome. Got 33MPG on the freeway and drove through snow better than my truck.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
I’ll put the plug-in for a Subaru Forester or Outback as well. Best AWD for winter conditions and adding snow tires is like wearing a belt and suspenders.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I couldn't disagree more. The more apt comparison is shorts vs pants - they both keep your junk covered, but are made for vastly different conditions.

Especially in Maine, which gets icy as eff and has some of the bitterest winters out there a soft-compound tire is a must.

That being said if the daughter doesn't mind a sedan the Impreza might be the way to go. AWD, better dealer incentives than the larger models, will handle better than taller vehicles, better fuel economy. And since it has the underpowered engine no worrying about impromptu Fast and Furious drag races.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:28 PM

I got my wife into a Honda CRV about 4 years ago and she loves that car as much today as she did 4 years ago. Plenty of room for work (she's in uniform sales so it's sometimes packed with racks of clothes), plenty of room for two kids and the boatloads of crap that come with them (strollers, toys, bags, etc).....gets good gas mileage, drives like a car, bluetooth, heated seats. We powder-coated the rims black to appear a bit sportier but all in all she loves it.

I just talked to her the other day about upgrading to a Honda Pilot, but she loves her CRV too much to make the jump.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
Totally disagree. AWD is for starting and basic AWD systems do next to nothing for cornering and nothing for deceleration. That’s where winter tires like Bridgestone Blizzaks come into play.

Drive with them for a week in a snowy place like Maine and there’s no going back. Good tires enhance the qualities of AWD, not the other way around.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
I got my wife into a Honda CRV about 4 years ago and she loves that car as much today as she did 4 years ago. Plenty of room for work (she's in uniform sales so it's sometimes packed with racks of clothes), plenty of room for two kids and the boatloads of crap that come with them (strollers, toys, bags, etc).....gets good gas mileage, drives like a car, bluetooth, heated seats. We powder-coated the rims black to appear a bit sportier but all in all she loves it.

I just talked to her the other day about upgrading to a Honda Pilot, but she loves her CRV too much to make the jump.
If you do decide to sell that CRV (LA, though) please let me know...I am actively looking for a new used car.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:55 PM

Cx5

My in laws bought a Mazda CX-5 about 2.5 years ago, they seem really happy with it.
I like the way it looks as well, I think the new ones look really great.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:48 PM
Administrator

this may be an unpopular choice among this crowd, but the newly renovated jeep compass get's pretty good marks, and drives well. i just rented one and was impressed. it's also available in stick shift!

Old 05-02-2018, 08:12 PM

We bought a CX-5 with our VW Scandalwagen settlement. We REALLY like the Mazda. It's very comfortable, quiet, and has just the right amount of luxury/safety features for our needs.

Last edited by sjbraun; 05-02-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
this may be an unpopular choice among this crowd, but the newly renovated jeep compass get's pretty good marks, and drives well. i just rented one and was impressed. it's also available in stick shift!

Have you ever owned a non-Wrangler Jeep? They make Fiats look reliable in comparison.