Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2016, 08:17 AM

men in tights & (often) shaved legs, riding skinny tired bicycles and obsessing over which chain lube is better, making fun of another athletic endeavor.

sure, that makes sense.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:22 AM

Crossfit played an important part of my good friends multi year weight loss and general fitness turn around.

I like that they encourage people of any shape/size/ability to participate.

Fitness trends are strange, why do some stay around while others fade into the distance?

I think that crossfit my be a permanent addition to Americas fitness hierarchy.

Better than zoomba

Does anyone know what reeboks relationship with crossfit is?

Also, based on conversations with my friend it seems like a lot of the crossfit places are started by enthusiasts, like many enthusiast based business adventures, many will not last.

Last edited by bicycletricycle; 05-22-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:27 AM

I am confused, just join local YMCA, do freeweights, machines or go to once of the guided exercise sessions to watch the opposite sex.

Used to do bit of it then dropped. No after my back fusion - began 4 months out and big difference.

There are some great PT centers that have more group sessions, at least at my local PT the professionalism is great.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:37 AM

It's tight. Really tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozoTzkCeO-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post

Does anyone know what reeboks relationship with crossfit is?
Old 05-22-2016, 08:41 AM

While I don't think it's my cup of tea I'm a fan. I've know a half dozen or so people that have turned their life around with crossfit, some still participate and others have moved on to other things but there is now a fit healthy person where a couch riding lard once resided, so kudos to CF.

Back to the OP. My wife and I were asking the same question the other day as yet another crossfit gym opened. We now have crossfit or a version of crossfit on almost every corner. It's almost like frozen yogurt places a few years ago popping up like weeds. I suspect the market can't support them all and some will close, but like bike shops the ones that fill a need and do it well will survive.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Do you know how to tell if someone is into cross fit ?

Don't worry, they'll tell you.
In this vein if you have a vegan crossfitter the only question is which one will they talk about first.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:07 AM
Administrator

it was probably foolish for anyone to open an establishment exclusively dedicated to crossfit, which was a pretty niche thing. a gym that offered crossfit classes seems like a much better business model, and you can always offer different classes and evolve with the trends.

i personally dont hate on any of this kind of stuff, even when people talk about it constantly. to be frank, i dont have ANY interest in big organized sports, so i find it more tolerable to talk to a co-worker or client about the awesome crossfit workout they got in last night over how the giants game went any day of the week. people getting excited about their own personal fitness accomplishments is way cooler, IMO than talking about what professional athletes are up to!
Old 05-22-2016, 09:25 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Don't worry, they'll tell you.

First Rule of Crossfit...

Tell everyone you do Crossfit.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:37 AM
slower than you

I have a hard time predicting how some of these fads will last. Closer to home, spin classes have proved to have a lot of endurance in the exercise world. Personally, I hate them. Closed little rooms with, sometimes, thirty or more sweating people crammed in so tight that you are forced to have somebody's butt in your face half the time, and an overly enthusiastic and sometimes sadistic "instructor" shouting instructions at you over an amplified system, really loud, because he/she has chosen some pretty awful music as a soundtrack, and that's pretty loud, too. The whole point seems to be to exercise to burnout levels in an hour while harming one's hearing in the process. But, people love it, and, I sort of doubt most of them ever get on a real bike. Weird. I suppose a lot equate exercise with abuse. We should all blame our sadistic drill sargeant gym teachers from grade school.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:48 AM

Agreed - I constantly hear locker room banter about pro football (aka soccer) at my place of work. Yawn.

My buddy at work used Crossfit to get back into shape after getting out of shape from having kids etc. she's gotten way more fit and that's pretty cool. She and her husband were downhillers once upon a time as well, so there's a cycling link, which she also gets points for

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
it was probably foolish for anyone to open an establishment exclusively dedicated to crossfit, which was a pretty niche thing. a gym that offered crossfit classes seems like a much better business model, and you can always offer different classes and evolve with the trends.

i personally dont hate on any of this kind of stuff, even when people talk about it constantly. to be frank, i dont have ANY interest in big organized sports, so i find it more tolerable to talk to a co-worker or client about the awesome crossfit workout they got in last night over how the giants game went any day of the week. people getting excited about their own personal fitness accomplishments is way cooler, IMO than talking about what professional athletes are up to!
Old 05-22-2016, 09:51 AM

There was a thriving CF gym in a small community north of Boulder. Their lease was up the new terms were not favorable and the landlord was not willing to contribute to a few infrastructure upgrades.

The owners bought a building in a new upscale "urban" development in Longmont and business is thriving. The first space was rented out immediately to another CF. They are doing well. Boulder County, so not necessarily indicative of trends elsewhere, but CF looks like it's here to stay. I know a few young former college athletes who are way into CF.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Pretty easy actually...
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23...t-exercise_fun

William
Old 05-22-2016, 10:02 AM

Test of time

IMHO, any athletic endeavor has to pass the test of time. There has been so much research in cycling, rowing, running, X-C skiing, etc that you can highly predict what your VO2 max, caloric expenditure, METs, etc are for those activities. They've been around for decades and have well established levels of performance. Cross-fit, Insanity and other high intensity activities will only lead to injury and/or burnout for most participants. Some folks do well but they would likely succeed in any chosen sport. A decade from now, who knows...maybe it will follow the footsteps of "step aerobics."
Old 05-22-2016, 10:02 AM

Is your local cross fit gym doing ok?

I understand the constant chatter about anything can be annoying at work. However I support any physical activity that gets people off the couch, latent lifestyle. I myself have to be very proactive and motivate my kids to go out and do some sports vs watching tv. And they are not into video games yet. I am not looking forward to having to compete with that.

Where I live I have noticed that a few cross fit gyms have disappeared and others have morphed/expanded into a self-defense and martial arts vein riding the MMA wave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2016, 10:06 AM

I work for a leading Equipment Manufacturer that supplies crossfit affiliated boxes and events. Things are going exceedingly well.... Hate on. I don't partake in the activity but this industry is my livelihood.