Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2024, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Is this just a major oversight on 1Up's part, not designing something to lock the rack to the receiver as a stock item? I mean, these things are damned expensive and everyone should have them locked to the hitch. Seems crazy that they dont just come with an integrated solution.

Another KUAT win.
Mine came with both a locking pin to go through the receiver and a security bolt that tightens the hitch in the receiver. My old Kuat didn't come with either.

I use a cable lock to lock the bike to the rack for short-term gas/bathroom stops, etc. Or more commonly, I just have the bike inside the car (station wagons FTW).
Old 05-15-2024, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrik4 View Post
Mine came with both a locking pin to go through the receiver and a security bolt that tightens the hitch in the receiver. My old Kuat didn't come with either.

I use a cable lock to lock the bike to the rack for short-term gas/bathroom stops, etc. Or more commonly, I just have the bike inside the car (station wagons FTW).
My 3 bike kuat didn’t either. I had to buy separate locks and a custom bit to eliminate the sway. It was very difficult to release the wheel and a few times hurt my hand doing so. Piece of junk that finally convinced me to splurge on 1up. I do understand mine was an entry level model but it still cost 500 excluding the locks and sway lock. Also had to assemble it from a bunch of pieces which was super fun.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 05-15-2024 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:56 PM

I'd buy another 1up just so I wouldn't have to say Kuat.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:11 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

1up gave me a 10% discount and threw in the locking hitch pin for free when I picked mine up 4 years ago!
Old 05-16-2024, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
My 3 bike kuat didn’t either. I had to buy separate locks and a custom bit to eliminate the sway. It was very difficult to release the wheel and a few times hurt my hand doing so. Piece of junk that finally convinced me to splurge on 1up. I do understand mine was an entry level model but it still cost 500 excluding the locks and sway lock. Also had to assemble it from a bunch of pieces which was super fun.
Transfer?
Old 05-16-2024, 10:35 AM

Rocky Mounts has their own riff on the 1Up and it has a number of really nice features, including space for 2 bikes and an integrated lock out of the box.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Is this just a major oversight on 1Up's part, not designing something to lock the rack to the receiver as a stock item? I mean, these things are damned expensive and everyone should have them locked to the hitch. Seems crazy that they dont just come with an integrated solution.

Another KUAT win.
It's all there you just have to actually buy it.

On mine I have:

Extender locked to hitch receiver
2 Bike Rack locked to extender
1 Bike Add-on locked to main part of rack
12' Cable lock to lock up 3 bikes (12' is enough to run the cable through the hitch)

1Up is just super modular, you have to just figure out what you need for the collection of stuff you buy.

Their Quick locks/Add-on Locks will not survive long against a grinder.

One of mine was off and I adjusted the end of it with a grinder to make it fit. It took a while with a dremel I might have taken 1/16" off the collar and it took me a good # of adjustments before I got it right. 30 minutes or something. But the "shaft" of the locks would be pretty easy to cut with a really big grinder.

On some parts of the rack (e.x. locking an Add-on unit to the main rack) the shaft is accessible and you can cut that pretty quick, but then you'd need to unbolt the add-on. And if it has bikes locked to it you would then need to cut the cable lock too.

But on other places.. like locking the rack to the receiver? The design makes it really hard to get the grinder onto the lock shaft... so you'd need to grind the lock body away, which will take a good bit longer.

If i have 3 bikes locked on the rack I do not just go leave the car sitting in a parking lot for hours period. I treat the whole thing like it isn't even locked. Pretty much the whole setup is just for transport and the only time it's unattended is something like going into a gas station or a restaurant or something on a road trip.

I will leave my bike locked on the rack all day in the parking lot of my office. Anyone wants to try and steal my bike with private security in a parking lot adjacent to a DHS building that sees police officers in and out of the parking lot (and my building) all day long they can try.

Last edited by benb; 05-16-2024 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrik4 View Post
Transfer?
Yes!
Old 05-16-2024, 11:06 PM

Looks like a long chain then. I was hoping to find something on sale at Colorado cyclist but all they have are shorter ones.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:08 AM

Another 1 Up question (cargo carrier)

I have the 1 Up cargo carrier as well…in putting it together, I noticed that a few of the eyelets they supplied (that slot into the channel that runs around the edge of the carrier) don’t quite tighten down all the way so they slide around a bit while in the channel. Any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2024, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_biker View Post
I have the 1 Up cargo carrier as well…in putting it together, I noticed that a few of the eyelets they supplied (that slot into the channel that runs around the edge of the carrier) don’t quite tighten down all the way so they slide around a bit while in the channel. Any suggestions?
Contact them. Excellent customer support.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Yes!
LOL, exact same experience.