Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2024, 09:54 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Yep^ TruckerCo tape and sealant is the move.
Old 05-18-2024, 01:14 AM

So if I read between the lines, it seems that one or two of you think my idea of using Gorilla Tape is both cheap and poorly considered ???

Thanks all - I will go and buy a roll of the Stan’s and maybe even new valves rather than the ten year old ones that I scavenged off some cheapo wheels I bought and sold

Last edited by d_douglas; 05-18-2024 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-18-2024, 08:56 AM

I was tubeless for a year (big mistake) and I used polyester tape used for anodizing and powder coating 3M 8992. Can be found cheap in rolls of different widths to match the rim inner width. Was the only thing that worked great during my tubeless endeavor.
Old 05-18-2024, 09:22 AM

Gorilla vs tubeless specific tape

+1 for using tape actually designed and marketed for tubeless. I would pay even more if I had to, purely for the time saved on not having to clean off the gorilla tape residue. not to mention the potential tears at the valve stem hole.

Generally, I think duck tape is well used in a pinch for a great variety of things; and tubeless isn't really something I'm setting up in a pinch. In a pinch, I pull out the valve stem and throw in a tube.
Old 05-18-2024, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
I thought the cheap-out solution was 3M 8896 or 8898?
^^^^
THIS Get it from Hughes out of Sacramento CA

Why do we go over and over on this topic? People, repent and shun Gorilla tape, ever to be confined to the realm of binding old shoes soles back in place!

Yes I used to (mis)use it, lots of misadventures with it and the sticky-ooeee-gooey residue, and finally found that two things are needed for sucessful tubeless setup: 1 True tubeless tires and rims, 2 The right tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYgbdXhSZ60&t=9s
Old 05-18-2024, 10:13 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertr View Post
I used to use gorilla tape but eventually it fails and makes a huge mess on the rim when you need to remove it. Just move on to strapping/blue tape or the branded rim tapes.
The gorilla tape and it's amazing adhesive comes right off in total with heat. Just like bar tape adhesive [use over easily] with blow dryer or heat gun during the removal process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Yes I used to (mis)use it, lots of misadventures with it and the sticky-ooeee-gooey residue, and finally found that two things are needed for sucessful tubeless setup: 1 True tubeless tires and rims, 2 The right tape.
Agree, ghetto tubeless setups when the perfect products are so dialed in, readily available, etc seems a fool errand VS prior to this availability.

I do use kapton tape layers under one tubeless tape layer myself. Rather than more than one heavy tubeless tape layer, for years now. Heavy as in ga. not weight to be succinct.

Last edited by robt57; 05-18-2024 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-18-2024, 12:32 PM

My general go-to has been 8898, BUT for the fat bike, Zip flashing tape is pretty awesome. Caveat is that I never intend to take it off (barring spoke breakage).
Old 05-19-2024, 12:03 AM

One wrap of nylon reinforced packing tape and two wraps of the 3M tapes noted above. Get tape that is the exact width of your rim.
Old 05-19-2024, 06:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
I just had a nice set of tubeless wheels built (VO Voyageur rims) and ran a layer of black gorilla tape on the rim because I didn’t have any stans tape.

I inflated thr tire without sealant and it worked, then it was flat in the morning.

Should I just not be cheap and buy real tape or continue with this strategy, adding the fluid? I am so cheap.
Scotch 3m 8898 tape...Essentially the same stuff as bike branded tubeless tape, just less $.

Ah, asked and answered above.