Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2023, 09:20 AM

Has anyone had success patching TPU tubes?
Old 10-25-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Yep, many times, but you have to clean the patch area carefully. I tried helicopter repair tape once as a test - no good. The glueless patches seem to work OK, but use the special TPU patches to be safe.

I prefer the TPU tubes with the metal threaded stems - I broke one of the plastic stem jobbies trying to air it up one ride.

Oh, and if you blow into them to partly inflate when installing, don't be surprised when they change color and have a gray mold grow inside.

I did manage to damage one using CO2 once - kinda messed up the base of the valve area. I think it froze the TPU.
Old 10-25-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Yep, many times, but you have to clean the patch area carefully. I tried helicopter repair tape once as a test - no good. The glueless patches seem to work OK, but use the special TPU patches to be safe.

I prefer the TPU tubes with the metal threaded stems - I broke one of the plastic stem jobbies trying to air it up one ride.

Oh, and if you blow into them to partly inflate when installing, don't be surprised when they change color and have a gray mold grow inside.

I did manage to damage one using CO2 once - kinda messed up the base of the valve area. I think it froze the TPU.
What brand of TPU tube are you using that have a metal valve stem?
Old 10-25-2023, 09:43 AM

The Cyclamis are metal stems. 2 for $28 on Amazon or 2 for $15 on Aliexpress.

I think I still trust latex over the TPU (should I though?), the TPUs are backup to get home for me.
Old 10-25-2023, 02:03 PM

I've been using Tubolito for about 5 years now, commuting in the rainy PNW winters even, and not a single flat. They also hold air for an incredibly long period. So, I'm sold on them. I built up a second bike and used the opaque Schwalbe TPU tube on the rear tire - got a flat within a month or so, although it was from a huge piece of glass that also destroyed the tire.
Old 10-25-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
The Cyclamis are metal stems. 2 for $28 on Amazon or 2 for $15 on Aliexpress.

I think I still trust latex over the TPU (should I though?), the TPUs are backup to get home for me.
This is exactly where I am at. TPU for backup. TPU is tempting for the inner weight weenie in me, 2 tubes weigh the same as one latex tube. But from the reports I hear latex still rides better. I'm not bothered pumping to my tires before every ride. Other than weight and air retention I'm not sure of other TPU benefits.
Old 10-25-2023, 02:51 PM

I've had one RideNow tpu tube that had a slow leak, like losing 10-15psi at the end of a couple hours ride then to flat the next morning. Hard to find the leak, just chalked it up to a bad tube. The new RideNow I installed has been working well. Buy in bulk from aliexpress, much much cheaper and they'll throw in the patch kits
Old 10-25-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
OP here, I'm back on lightweight butyl tubes in the tires and keep two TPU tubes in the saddle bag as spares. My two front flats with TPU tubes may just be an anomaly but in over 40 years riding I never had a front blowout before. Prior to this mishap I had about 200 miles on the Cyclami tubes. No issues installing them, just puff a bit of air to help them hold shape. Checking for tube pinches is easy as the bright green color really stands out when doing the final check before full inflation.

Again, it may not be rational but super thin tubes just make me more nervous so back to the old tried and true. People also rave about latex but I tried them twice in my life and each time went back to rubber due to much more frequent punctures.

Tim
When you had the blowout, did you hear the pop/bang? It's reports like these and also inexplicable leaks that can't be found, plastic valve stems, mostly unsuccessful patching, high cost, etc. that make me hesitate in even trying a TPU tube.
Old 10-25-2023, 03:30 PM

Saving money on bike tubes is a win. Plus, the lighter weight and better air retention are cool bonuses. The lime color might be a bit flashy, but as long as they perform well, who cares, right?
Old 10-25-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I have. Been riding TPU tubes for a couple of years, now. Won't go back. Major improvement on riding quality.
Old 10-25-2023, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghammer View Post
I have. Been riding TPU tubes for a couple of years, now. Won't go back. Major improvement on riding quality.
VS a latex tube?
Old 10-25-2023, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfifty View Post
I've had one RideNow tpu tube that had a slow leak, like losing 10-15psi at the end of a couple hours ride then to flat the next morning. Hard to find the leak, just chalked it up to a bad tube. The new RideNow I installed has been working well. Buy in bulk from aliexpress, much much cheaper and they'll throw in the patch kits
My experience exactly. The replacement has been fine. I've been buying them on Amazon - a couple bucks more but here in a day.

They've done great in Corsa Controls, even on light gravel at 70psi or so
Old 10-25-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
When you had the blowout, did you hear the pop/bang? It's reports like these and also inexplicable leaks that can't be found, plastic valve stems, mostly unsuccessful patching, high cost, etc. that make me hesitate in even trying a TPU tube.
I heard the pop just as I clipped one of the many stones the previous night’s storm had spread across the road. I don’t think I’ve ever had a puncture loose air so rapidly. Not sure if that had anything to do with the plastic tubes though. For now, I’m back to light butyl tubes for riding but keep 2 TPU tubes as spares.

Tim
Old 10-25-2023, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
VS a latex tube?
Yeah honestly I can't tell the difference between the newer TPU tubes and a latex tube, aside from the TPU tubes being a bit lighter.

The early TPU's from Tubolito were very light didn't match latex for rolling resistance, but newer ones (including the Ride Now's) are more or less on par with latex.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...pu-inner-tubes

In terms of suppleness... YMMV but yeah I can't tell the difference (and I can against a Conti Race Butyl tube).
Old 10-25-2023, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
OP here, I'm back on lightweight butyl tubes in the tires and keep two TPU tubes in the saddle bag as spares. My two front flats with TPU tubes may just be an anomaly but in over 40 years riding I never had a front blowout before. Prior to this mishap I had about 200 miles on the Cyclami tubes. No issues installing them, just puff a bit of air to help them hold shape. Checking for tube pinches is easy as the bright green color really stands out when doing the final check before full inflation.
This may not be what you experienced... but I have found that TPU tubes seem to be less forgiving to low pressures and seem to pinch flat more easily.

E.g. I can get lazy with a butyl tube, pumping it up once a week to 80psi and then leave it till it drops to ~60psi and pump up again. I found that when I did the same thing, I'd get a flat on a TPU tube on stuff that wouldn't phase a butyl tube.