Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-04-2016, 12:44 PM

So no truth to the 10 days as stated on the site.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer View Post
So no truth to the 10 days as stated on the site.
We submitted everything before they were giving estimates. It could be that they're better at processing claims now that they've been doing it for close to 2 months.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:41 PM

A whole bunch of people got offer letters this week. Most have no lien.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:37 AM

Is anyone else waiting to see pricing on the Kia Niro before going with the gas GSW? I'm intrigued. Looks sportier than a Prius and would get us back to TDI mileage plus.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:04 AM

Amid the worry about us all getting properly cashed out and fit in new cars, did I hear someone mention they missed having a beater pickup or SUV?.....I concur!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
Is anyone else waiting to see pricing on the Kia Niro before going with the gas GSW? I'm intrigued. Looks sportier than a Prius and would get us back to TDI mileage plus.
The Niro does look interesting.

Our timing is such that we can't wait long so we're looking at vehicles available now. We're looking at lightly used cars, close to zero chance of buying a new car.

I'm currently in a environmental funk, at least as far as efficiency goes. I was all about the "drive 45 miles on a gallon of fuel" (we weren't as concerned with cost, it was more the principle of the thing). But now I'm less concerned. 25-30 mpg (highway) seems okay to me.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:18 PM

I love fuel efficiency for every reason....but, I have a 9-10 mile commute that is urban/suburban, so as a daily driver the TDi is great but operating outside of the area where it really shines. If I had a longer commute, more interstate or more long country roads, it would be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
The Niro does look interesting.

Our timing is such that we can't wait long so we're looking at vehicles available now. We're looking at lightly used cars, close to zero chance of buying a new car.

I'm currently in a environmental funk, at least as far as efficiency goes. I was all about the "drive 45 miles on a gallon of fuel" (we weren't as concerned with cost, it was more the principle of the thing). But now I'm less concerned. 25-30 mpg (highway) seems okay to me.
The early reports on the Alltrack from users on the forums have fuel efficiency a little better than the officially reported
in and above that 25-30 range. Strangely, they're available here in SoCal where we don't really need them but seem to be tight in the Northeast.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:54 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
The early reports on the Alltrack from users on the forums have fuel efficiency a little better than the officially reported
in and above that 25-30 range.
That's where it all started with the diesels!
Old 11-07-2016, 09:15 AM

according to the computer in my Sportwagen

over 2500 miles of mixed driving probably 50/50 hiway / city = 29.5. Wonder if the computer is rigged?

Last edited by eddief; 11-07-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
in and above that 25-30 range. Strangely, they're available here in SoCal where we don't really need them but seem to be tight in the Northeast.
That's how supply and demand works. They're available, because the ones that showed up haven't been purchased. In the NE, they got bought when they showed up.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post

Came to the same general conclusions. As we only drive approximately 6k miles per year, purchasing a new car is a bit of a folly. While we ended up with a CPO Volvo, almost all manufacturers have CPO programs with generous extended warranty terms.

Same on the fuel economy front. With the TDI, we were willing to pay a bit more for a high-efficiency vehicle that didn't drive like an appliance. Now, I'm just aiming for a reasonable cost of ownership; which encompasses a great deal more than just fuel economy.

I just turned 51, and starting to think of life beyond 9-5. Decided that pissing extra money away on vehicles was counterproductive to more important life goals.

Last edited by staggerwing; 11-08-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerwing View Post
Came to the same general conclusions. As we only drive approximately 6k miles per year, purchasing a new car is a bit of a folly. While we ended up with a CPO Volvo, almost all manufacturers have with generous extended warranty terms.

Same on the fuel economy front. With the TDI, we were willing to pay a bit more for a high-efficiency vehicle that didn't drive like an appliance. Now, I'm just aiming for a reasonable cost of ownership; which encompasses a great deal more than just fuel economy.

I just turned 51, and starting to think of life beyond 9-5. Decided that pissing extra money away on vehicles was counterproductive to more important life goals.
Interesting. I'm just behind you in terms of years, although I suspect I'm lagging far behind in terms of the "thinking beyond 9-5" stuff.

I've said it earlier but the unexpected costs we incurred owning the two TDIs really soured me on the experience. Granted, some expenses could have been avoided had I trusted less and researched more, but still, the fact that we had any costs outside of normal maintenance was a bit of a downer.

Overall cost of maintenance and some "reliability factor" is more significant than cost of fuel for our limited driving. In fact, if I could, I'd ride an e-bike to work a bunch, if I could find a job that allowed that.

I spent a few hours visiting my old place of employment. Although fun to talk to with the guys the one guy that's always been straight up with me laid out the facts while we were eating lunch. It really isn't a great place to work. Also now, knowing a bit more about the cars than I did before, I wouldn't feel right selling those cars, or any of the sister cars.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerwing View Post

While all that is true, it's possible to get great reliability and excellent fuel economy and will fit a bike inside just fine and still have a car that is utterly joyless to drive. Take my wife's Prius V, for example. "Appliance" is the only way to describe it, and operating it is as much fun as running a dishwasher.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:38 PM

There are plenty of Alltracks in the Northeast. Just look around. 4-Motion GSW's are another matter. I've seen two. Not that I'm interested.

Tags
autoscam, boring threads