Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upon3 View Post

Very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upon3 View Post
The only things that would make it more entertaining would be 4wd.
Perhaps a Turbo X might be in your future
Old 06-05-2018, 06:15 AM

I do not mean to throw a big pile of flaming poo into this discussion but nobody has mentioned the Subaru Outback as an option.

It is bigger than a Golf All-Track wagon, you can get leather, you can get manual, you can get a boxer 6, it has a great deal of cargo space, the newest version is larger again than the one it replaces, its not as expensive to fix as the luxury models, you can get a 7yr/100k extended warranty for less than $1,000, and it is so much less expensive to buy than the luxury models.

(not mine but just helped a friend get one)
Old 06-05-2018, 06:22 AM
aka RAEKWON

Funny you mention the outback, we just bought my wife one so we now have a sportwagen and an outback. We bought hers used but with the extended warranty ( cool that subaru lets you add it as a second hand buyer). Need to mention that 2018 sportwagen has a factory warranty of 6 years or 72k miles which is pretty amazing.

My sportwagen is bone stock and its hard to compare ti my wifes since hers is fully loaded but as far as driving, the sportwagen is just a much more fun car. Its lighter, I think more horsepower too. It feels much quicker, much more fun to drive. The subaru is a great car and my wife likes it a lot, its more like a suv and not so much like a wagon. She has the 2.5 engine and not the 3.6, the later has more power but also heavier and worst fuel consunption. Gas mileage is very similar on both sportwagen and outback.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:06 AM

We owned a new 2000 Limited 4cyl and now own a new 2009 4cyl Limited. The 2000 was my wife's daily driver in NYC and NJ. The 2009 was her daily driver in NJ. The 2009 is now a weekend only car in Boston since she walks to work (8 minutes) and I take a train (15-20 minutes).

It's true, the driving factor is uninspired but the utility factor is very high.

I know a great deal about cars but do not really care about them in terms of daily drivers. I want a mid 60s Ferrari to use as a Sunday track racer but other than that I find most newer cars uninspiring no mater the format.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:20 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
We owned a new 2000 Limited 4cyl and now own a new 2009 4cyl Limited. The 2000 was my wife's daily driver in NYC and NJ. The 2009 was her daily driver in NJ. The 2009 is now a weekend only car in Boston since she walks to work (8 minutes) and I take a train (15-20 minutes).

It's true, the driving factor is uninspired but the utility factor is very high.

I know a great deal about cars but do not really care about them in terms of daily drivers. I want a mid 60s Ferrari to use as a Sunday track racer but other than that I find most newer cars uninspiring no mater the format.
Agree very utilitarian car and reason we bought it for reliability (wife had a 2004 landrover discovery lol) and these cars are known for that. And we the extended warranty (that even covers freaking windshield wipers) I think we will be good for a long time
Old 06-05-2018, 07:54 AM

If anyone is looking for a JSW, I've got a 2014 gas model, 5 speed MT, with 26,000 miles on it for sale. Tornado Red, black interior - very pretty car. Vermont. (Sorry for the 'classified' )
Old 06-05-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
If anyone is looking for a JSW, I've got a 2014 gas model, 5 speed MT, with 26,000 miles on it for sale. Tornado Red, black interior - very pretty car. Vermont. (Sorry for the 'classified' )
It is a MT so all is forgiven
Old 06-05-2018, 10:42 AM

Re the Outbacks

I go back and forth between our Subaru and our e46 BMW.
The BMW is so much more enjoyable to drive, but the Subaru simply does what it does very, very well ~ from getting us where we need to go regardless of road conditions to hauling stuff from a big dog to suitcases to kayaks.
On the Subaru, I had a little "clunk" over railroad tracks late this winter and early this spring. We're over 100k so I asked my tech (long-time friend) when swapping over to the summer wheels and his suggestion was to wait until it got worse and THEN address it.
That's not my style, so I simply opted to replace the front and rear sway bar links, f/r sway bar bushings and to upgrade the rear sway bar from the stock 18mm to an OEM 19mm bar (used in one of the other Subaru models).
It doesn't drive like the BMW now, but it definitely makes it feel tighter and less like an SUV.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosahn View Post
Almost went for an Alltrack a few weeks ago. Problem is is that they are overpriced. And the fuel economy is not up to class standards.

Shame. Because it was a wonderful car to drive.
I was on the verge of getting a '17 Alltrack $9K below MSPP but then decided to wait another year until they discount the '18 with the longer 6 year warranty.
Always thought that the fuel economy is quite good given that it is 4WD.
Just out of curiosity, what cars did you compare it to?
Old 06-05-2018, 11:48 AM
aka RAEKWON

Put some wheels on the sportwagen and thats my wifes outback in the back

wagon family

also the fuel economy on the sportwagen/all track is very good. I don't know what toosahn is comparing them to but I would love to know
Old 06-06-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Have a ballpark price? I’ve got a friend who may consider it.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosahn View Post
Almost went for an Alltrack a few weeks ago. Problem is is that they are overpriced. And the fuel economy is not up to class standards.

Shame. Because it was a wonderful car to drive.
Compared to what? What else is in their 'class'? AWD wagons. Subaru Outback? Audi A4? Besides, VW GolfSportWagen, 'S', AWD...low $20,000 or less and 30MPG+ highway..try to find a less trim Audi.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:05 AM

I’m getting mid-30s mpg in my ‘17 GSW, base model, all wheel drive. Love the car, I had Outbacks in the late 90s and was wholly unimpressed when I checked them out again in ‘15. I figure by the time I’m done with this car electric will be truly viable.

Last week I got a random call from a guy who was going to buy the TDI I turned in. It still had my business logos on it, I guess the dealer hadn’t cleaned them off yet. The only thing I miss from that car is the keyless entry, but I was able to get over that.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:48 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkalugi View Post
I’m getting mid-30s mpg in my ‘17 GSW, base model, all wheel drive. Love the car, I had Outbacks in the late 90s and was wholly unimpressed when I checked them out again in ‘15. I figure by the time I’m done with this car electric will be truly viable.

Last week I got a random call from a guy who was going to buy the TDI I turned in. It still had my business logos on it, I guess the dealer hadn’t cleaned them off yet. The only thing I miss from that car is the keyless entry, but I was able to get over that.
I am getting 30 max. Was getting more with the smaller wheels
Old 06-06-2018, 02:08 PM

To throow one more in the mix

I just purchased an '18 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport with a 6-speed manual. My '00 Audi AA4 2.8 Avant Quattro 5-speed needed more money than it was worth to keep running (clutch, both cats). The Honda checked all the boxes for me.

6-speed manual
1.5L Turbo/180HP/177lb torque
Hatchback
Amazing highway city mileage in Eco mode (close to 40mpg in mixed driving)
4-door with decent backseat.
Under $25K out the door (tax, license, registration, 10 yr/100K bumper to bumper extended warranty, gap insurance)
Great reviews
Honda reliability (I hope, but bought the 10-year warranty for a only $500!)

The cargo floor space with rear seats down was nearly equivalent to the Audi. No problem loading a bike with front wheel removed. Backseat leg room is better than Audi.

No AWD, leather, lane warning, collision prevention, etc. but it's light and the grip in in the corners in AMAZING (.93; as tested by Car & Driver). It's a BLAST to drive with nice torque and acceleration (even in Eco mode).

--Sheldon Brown