Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
Both cranks I've checked have codes that make the cranks subject to the recall, but they've seen too little use to show signs of deterioration. Have to check a couple more.
I had much higher hopes for this thread -- expected it to reach 50 pages by now.
Do you have your account set to show only 5 posts per page? That'll get you to a high page count pretty quick.
Old 09-26-2023, 04:03 PM

Perhaps a silly question, and apologies if it has been covered earlier in the thread, but does anyone know why Shimano have chosen to do this recall now? It's not like this is a newly-discovered problem...
Old 09-26-2023, 04:08 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael View Post
Perhaps a silly question, and apologies if it has been covered earlier in the thread, but does anyone know why Shimano have chosen to do this recall now?
They did report injuries, so that makes the problem a lot harder to ignore.
Old 09-26-2023, 05:37 PM

Wherever you find yourself on this one, the joke shirts exist *finally* after this was announced. Co owner of Endpoint and Outpost Richmond is the one responsible for the social media presence!

White.

Black.

I bought one of each to represent the 2 cranks I own that fall under the recall.
Old 09-26-2023, 05:45 PM

At least one of the Shimano lawyers will be taken off the crankset recall case so they can start sending cease and desist letters to the people like those making these t-shirts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Wherever you find yourself on this one, the joke shirts exist *finally* after this was announced. Co owner of Endpoint and Outpost Richmond is the one responsible for the social media presence!

White.

Black.

I bought one of each to represent the 2 cranks I own that fall under the recall.
Old 09-26-2023, 05:48 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
At least one of the Shimano lawyers will be taken off the crankset recall case so they can start sending cease and desist letters to the people like those making these t-shirts...
OTOH, given that the majority of people seeing these shirts will miss the reference, maybe they'll be happy to get the free marketing (nope, they won't).
Old 09-26-2023, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post

White.

Black.

Back in the heyday of the Shimano v. Campy debate a Shimano Fan gave me a pair of Shimano logo socks as a joke B-day gift. I inserted a "T" between the 'i" and "m" and was sure to wear them on every ride he was on.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Broke down and took the training...ended up getting a few questions answered but it also brought up a few more questions and definitely keeps an LBS between the customer and Shimano. The training was exceptionally boring and I may have fast forwarded to the quiz for several of the videos

*participation isn't obligatory, but if a dealer chooses to participate they have to take the S-Tec training and to have purchased more than $5k worth of product from shimano in the last 12 months (that last part was vague and mentioned the dealer locater map or something)

*there is a convoluted process where both the customer and the retailer become deputized metallurgists and conduct an inspection

*If the deputized metallurgists find something askew, the LBS is obligated to remove the crankset, clean it with dawn and inspect more closely. If an abnormality is confirmed, then and only then can a retailer contact shimano via the portal on their B2B website and fill out a form. No phone calls, etc. Shimano will provide a call tag and the crank goes to them for further inspection

*If the shimano inspection confirms what was suspected at the LBS level, a new crankset in the closest configuration available will be provided to the consumer via the LBS and at this this point the LBS hits the lotto (sarcasm) and gets their $75

*things will get backordered

*$ compensation will be provided to folks with 3rd party power meters

*If there's a 3rd party chainring, no need to send that in, just send the crank

*the retailer is indemnified if they follow the process

*everything is provided at no charge to the customer

End of the Shimano BS, my thoughts:
1) The whole thing is super convoluted IMHO
2) The retailer is in a situation where they are in the middle when it comes to delivering bad news. If Shimano was more customer facing, they'd handle this differently. The the way this process is set up is strategic on the part of shimano, twas not an accident to put the LBS in the middle
3) If a customer presents a crank...they're probably not going to be cool with a "we just had our best high skool shop rat do the the inspection, all good, just go ride it"
4) retailers are not going to be cool with situations where they could get pitted against strong-willed customers throwing tantrums over this process. Roadies can be an interesting bunch
5) I feel that each crank presented should be sent in for a replacement and the dealer should be compensated for labor for each one
6) If shimano is going to reject cranks, they're going to have to face the customers affected themselves and not put the LBS in the middle. If this involves boots on the ground, so be it

Assuming there will be some blowback that is well deserved
Like button pushed.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:53 AM

Thumbs down #shimano

I spoke with one of my local bike shops about my crank.

The kid I spoke with told me that he would inspect my crank and if he deemed it worthy to sent to shimano then he would, otherwise it would be "good to go". Haha

I politely asked for a signed letter from the store saying that they had inspected my crank and deemed it safe to ride.

They would not provide any documentation saying that they even did a cursory inspection.

When informed that the shop is taking on liability it doesn't need or want by being shimanos front for the recal, he looked at me with dead eyes like he didn't understand what I was saying...

This is just the beginning of this debabcle. I'll continue to search for a store that will send my crank to shimano for their inspection.

#Shimano made a defective product, an admitted defective product that has caused sufficient injury to warrant a global recall.

I want a new crank devoid of the issues known to call a recall of millions of cranks.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permanent socks View Post
I'll continue to search for a store that will send my crank to shimano for their inspection.
Under the terms of the current recall, this will never happen. Shops are supposed to do the inspection, and the only way the crank goes to Shimano is if the shop deems it has failed. If a shop knowingly sends an acceptable crank to Shimano under the guise of failure, they risk getting blacklisted.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permanent socks View Post

I politely asked for a signed letter from the store saying that they had inspected my crank and deemed it safe to ride.

They would not provide any documentation saying that they even did a cursory inspection.

When informed that the shop is taking on liability it doesn't need or want by being shimanos front for the recal, he looked at me with dead eyes like he didn't understand what I was saying...

your expectations are somewhere between hysterical and delusional. I agree Shimano is not handling this in the best manner, but that's not the LBS's fault, and you should probably stop harassing the shop staff and making irrational demands.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Trek states they will not only inspect any brand of bike with an affected Shimano crank, but will provide loaner bikes: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/s...Bu53np4DCQQnTM

Greg
I dropped my bike off at a Trek store with affected 9100 cranks last week. Called yesterday inquiring about a loaner bike after seeing your post and got a "let me check with my manager and get back to you" from the clerk. They didn't get back to me.

On the plus side, they already sent my cranks to Shimano, so hopefully their 2-3 week timeline is accurate.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellymcfatfats View Post

On the plus side, they already sent my cranks to Shimano, so hopefully their 2-3 week timeline is accurate.
Interesting. Did you self inspect them? Did you note any signs of failure?
Old 09-27-2023, 10:15 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
your expectations are somewhere between hysterical and delusional. I agree Shimano is not handling this in the best manner, but that's not the LBS's fault, and you should probably stop harassing the shop staff and making irrational demands.
Yeah, no.. Where is my service receipt outlining work preformed.

I'll Leave it at that.
Old 09-27-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Interesting. Did you self inspect them? Did you note any signs of failure?
I did, and I did not.

The shop didn't inspect them either, they just checked to make sure the marked letters were part of the recall and said "we'll take care of it". It was odd, but no complaints here.