Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2022, 02:42 PM

Blimey, instead of using the freindly against Japan to build cohesion, Berlhalter went tinkering. Surely can’t be good for morale when there wasn’t a single shot on target.

At this rate, we may be lucky to place 3rd out of 4.
Old 09-23-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Blimey, instead of using the freindly against Japan to build cohesion, Berlhalter went tinkering. Surely can’t be good for morale when there wasn’t a single shot on target.

At this rate, we may be lucky to place 3rd out of 4.
What tinkering are you referring to? He didn't change formation. His backline was dictated by injury absences.

Midfield 2 of 3 were the nailed on starters that almost everyone agrees on - Adams & McKennie. Musah hurt

Pulisic had a training camp knock so he kept the formation and put Reyna in his place. Seems logical to me.

Don't get me wrong they played poorly but how much of that was on the players vs the coach? Let's see how Tuesday goes before we hit the Panic button.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:01 PM

At least they kept a clean sheet.

Don’t think they’ll finish dead last (out of 32), but that was an uninspired performance.

Last edited by echappist; 09-27-2022 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
At least they kept a clean sheet.

Don’t think they’ll finish dead last (out of 32), but that was an uninspired performance.
Agreed 100%.

McKennie has regressed and / or lacks serious motivation.

And hopefully that is the end of Yedlin's tenure.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:49 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Bleah.

Had all the earmarks of a high school scrimmage (JV)
Old 09-27-2022, 09:42 PM

At least i won’t have to watch this dross.

These players are so much more talented. Boggles the mind that they might get about as far as the 98 team did (and that team had serious team chemistry issues).
Old 09-28-2022, 04:19 PM

My guess is the USMNT will finish with 3 points and will not advance out of the group.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:46 AM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
My guess is the USMNT will finish with 3 points and will not advance out of the group.
I wouldn't take too much stock out of these two nothing games.
This is a very young group of talented kids who feed off of the fans. They played in empty stadiums & their efforts reflected that. They will be completely amped at the world cup. They are playing in a group that they have a good chance to advance out of.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:08 AM

Iran might work USMNT
Old 09-29-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I wouldn't take too much stock out of these two nothing games.
This is a very young group of talented kids who feed off of the fans. They played in empty stadiums & their efforts reflected that. They will be completely amped at the world cup. They are playing in a group that they have a good chance to advance out of.
I'm in the don't panic camp. These are preseason games where the goal is to not get anyone hurt and not put anything too revealing on tape for the real games. Not that Berhalter is a galaxy-brain genius, but I think there was a lot held back. Beyond that, I don't think there's a strong correlation between performace in the immediate pre-Cup friendlies and actual WC play.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:31 AM

The experimenting days are over - I would have liked to see a set lineup - develop chemistry and establish continuity.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I'm in the don't panic camp. These are preseason games where the goal is to not get anyone hurt and not put anything too revealing on tape for the real games. Not that Berhalter is a galaxy-brain genius, but I think there was a lot held back. Beyond that, I don't think there's a strong correlation between performace in the immediate pre-Cup friendlies and actual WC play.
It assumes that the injured players will be available for selection, and that the out-of-form players will regain form. Neither can be assumed.

There needs to be another CB besides Long, but Berlhalter hasn't really tested anyone else. Miles Robinson, though an idiot off the field, was a steadying and calming presence. Antonee Robinson's absence has been keenly felt.

Weah hasn't played at all, and Musah is presently injured. Both McKennie and Pulisic are out of form, though the latter seems to do well for the national team.

A lot of uncertainties. Add to that Berlhalter's rigidity on tactics, and this has potential to get ugly.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:

A lot of uncertainties. Add to that Berlhalter's rigidity on tactics, and this has potential to get ugly.
The rigidity is the part that bothers me.

With the injuries I don't think a set lineup was possible. I will say though Long does not look up to the task. And I think it is proven that Adams and Acosta together are not a good pair.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:51 AM

Also, the team doesn't have a settled striker. Ferreira really needs to step up, b/c Pepi isn't cutting it.

Jordan Pefok should have been brought in for evaluation, but I just learned that he might not be fully comfortable conversing in English.
Old 09-29-2022, 01:10 PM

Surely Landon Donovan can come out of retirement and save the day?