Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
I'm sure most of us are wishing that it's nearby... so we have a chance to ride with you.
Thanks, Tom. We're heading back to Davis, CA, where we lived for a decade before moving to State College, PA a year and a half ago. We've enjoyed living here, and I'll miss my job and the zillions of miles of dirt roads and trails that mark the landscape around here, but our younger son needs to be near a major medical center. So, back we go!
Old 04-22-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
Yup, I think that's very likely right. As I said, I'm going to have the service done. It's only going to be a few hundred dollars out of pocket (most will go on the dealer credit that VW sent me last fall).
Could also take it to a "TDI Guru", from this page for example: https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044 and spend the VW cash on this

http://www.drivergear.vw.com/Product...7150-13324.htm
Old 04-22-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
What I wonder, as the news piece said last night, fix or buyback..owner choice. Can I get the fix, then drive it..if it sucks, then buy back(plus $5000 or so regardless)..or maybe just drive a 2013 fixed, then decide. Leaning toward just taking offer, +$5k, look for a 2013/4 gasser SW..gotta be red tho(wife says so).

I think it behooves VW to try to keep people in a VW...we'll see how eager the dealer is.
This is my speculation based on following the technical aspects of the situation.

Gen I cars which have no existing urea reservoir will be subject to buyback only, the fix would be too costly in respect to time and money. It would likely be very complicated as well as requiring body mods that would bring the crash safety into need of study.

Gen II&III which have urea reservoirs but were built to under dose an undersized catalyst should be repairable following real certification by upgrading the catalyst and reflashing for added urea consumption. Properly executed there should be no loss of mileage or performance, only added urea consumption which may even be provided by VW.

Gen I cars far outnumber II and III so VW is possibly trying to sweeten the deal offering buybacks to II and III owners along with I to keep the lawsuits at bay. They stand to cut costs by buying back and possibly repairing for re-sale the cars whose owners want out rather than face a new round of lawsuits.

I assume CARB states will make the buy back mandatory for Gen I and recall/buy back mandatory for Gen II & III. Waiting to see if the EPA or other states join in forced compliance. If not foregoing the dirty money to keep the dirty car may be an option for some. I have a 14 with low miles and see nothing out there I'd want to replace it but I will just run the numbers when the times if I have that option.

Last edited by GScot; 04-22-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:52 AM

Random questions:
What states are CARB states?

I've noticed several of you mentioning you took the $500 (x2) goodwill payments. After seeing there were about 10 pages of small print type that I had to read through and sign, I decided to pass on that offer. I didn't know for sure what rights I might be signing away in that 10 page agreement. Anyone else feel that way and take a pass?

We've got a 2009 JSW gas 2.5L and a 2014 Golf TDI, both MT. Both have been great cars. Not sure what we'll do with the TDI when all the dust settles. But I've kinda wished we went for a Hybrid Jetta sedan dealers were begging us to take when we were shopping for a used Golf TDI 2 years ago.

I'm also PO'd at VW for not offering a MT in any of the nicer versions of the gas GSW now. Only the cheapest S version comes with a MT - but you can't get heated seats in that model, which are now a requirement since we were corrupted a decade ago.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
I've noticed several of you mentioning you took the $500 (x2) goodwill payments. After seeing there were about 10 pages of small print type that I had to read through and sign, I decided to pass on that offer. I didn't know for sure what rights I might be signing away in that 10 page agreement. Anyone else feel that way and take a pass?

You weren't signing away any rights, that was explicitly stated in the big print. The small print was a standard credit card thing, and I'm sure you've signed one already. So revisit your decision, and don't leave that money on the table.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
I'm also PO'd at VW for not offering a MT in any of the nicer versions of the gas GSW now. Only the cheapest S version comes with a MT - but you can't get heated seats in that model, which are now a requirement since we were corrupted a decade ago.
As someone also in the market... you'd be surprised how much 'warmer' cloth seats (standard in the 'S') feel in the dead of winter... you know, the really cold way below zero stuff.

And remember gas GSW's will have a much faster (and therefore more effective) heater.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:11 PM

The diesel models have an auxiliary electric heater. Heat comes up in two minutes in mine.

VW has almost $20B allocated for this action. The more cars they take off the road with buybacks or make compliant with a fix, or smaller the fines that will be imposed. Nobody is going to turn their car in or let some dealer jockey hack up their car for $1700. The buybacks will be generous and the fix incentive will as well. Hang tight and keep enjoying your car.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:29 PM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
You weren't signing away any rights, that was explicitly stated in the big print. The small print was a standard credit card thing, and I'm sure you've signed one already. So revisit your decision, and don't leave that money on the table.
I didn't take the deal on my 2015 GSW TDI either. I figured that the $1,000 would be discounted from any future settlement and $500 of it is useless to me because I have nothing to buy at the dealership. Do you guys expect that the cash payment offered with buyback will be totally independent of the prior $1k?
Old 04-22-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
I didn't take the deal on my 2015 GSW TDI either. I figured that the $1,000 would be discounted from any future settlement and $500 of it is useless to me because I have nothing to buy at the dealership. Do you guys expect that the cash payment offered with buyback will be totally independent of the prior $1k?
Highly unlikely that the $1000 would be "openly" discounted from any future settlement, but does not preclude that they already accounted for the $1000 already offered in the yet to be determined "generous compensation" that is forthcoming was/will be factored in during the negotiations with EPA/CARB/DoJ/FTC/etc. However, they would assume that the majority (if not everyone) took advantage of the good will package, so not likely that those who didn't originally sign up for the $1000 goodwill will get any more (or less).

As for what to spend at the dealer, as others have noted, you can get them to order tires for your *non* VW vehicle. and just take them someplace else to get them installed.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:55 PM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngpunk View Post
Highly unlikely that the $1000 would be "openly" discounted from any future settlement, but does not preclude that they already accounted for the $1000 already offered in the yet to be determined "generous compensation" that is forthcoming was/will be factored in during the negotiations with EPA/CARB/DoJ/FTC/etc. However, they would assume that the majority (if not everyone) took advantage of the good will package, so not likely that those who didn't originally sign up for the $1000 goodwill will get any more (or less).

As for what to spend at the dealer, as others have noted, you can get them to order tires for your *non* VW vehicle. and just take them someplace else to get them installed.
Has anyone seen and end date for signing up for the Goodwill Package?

Good idea on the tires. If we don't need them, maybe a neighbor does. They will be overpriced, I'm sure, so not really worth a 100% of the $500, but not a total loss either.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
The diesel models have an auxiliary electric heater. Heat comes up in two minutes in mine.
You're lucky. My '13 Golf tdi takes 15 min or more in truly cold weather.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Good idea on the tires. If we don't need them, maybe a neighbor does. They will be overpriced, I'm sure, so not really worth a 100% of the $500, but not a total loss either.
I haven't seen an end date for signing up, but would do it before any settlement is finalized (i.e. before June 21st, but maybe as late as July 21st). I've heard others report that some dealers will price match competitors on tires or offer a different brand that they have in stock as an alternative to price matching. You could also try to sell the dealer card at a discount if you simply want to cash it out.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:49 PM

Regarding tires, a lot of times you can go to a dealership with a tire quote from Tire Rack or similar, and they can come close to it if not match it. They get 15% from the list price on Tire Rack although that might be different now. There's a Tire Rack warehouse in the area and all sorts of companies buy from them, from the most competitive local tire seller/installer (their prices beat Tire Rack's, which I find ironic). The dealer I worked for bought from Tire Rack and would sell at Tire Rack prices.

They will hit you up on install charges. I think it was $100 for 4 tires where I worked. The local garage was very close to that price.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:29 PM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
Regarding tires, a lot of times you can go to a dealership with a tire quote from Tire Rack or similar, and they can come close to it if not match it. They get 15% from the list price on Tire Rack although that might be different now. There's a Tire Rack warehouse in the area and all sorts of companies buy from them, from the most competitive local tire seller/installer (their prices beat Tire Rack's, which I find ironic). The dealer I worked for bought from Tire Rack and would sell at Tire Rack prices.

They will hit you up on install charges. I think it was $100 for 4 tires where I worked. The local garage was very close to that price.
Thanks. Very helpful.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:34 PM

I actually just signed up for the package and it said that people have until April 30th.

https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/goodwill_package_faqs/

Quote:
7. When does the TDI Goodwill Package program expire?
Owners and lessees of affected 2.0L vehicles will have until April 30, 2016 to register for the TDI Goodwill Package. For 3.0L TDI owners and lessees, the deadline to register has been extended to July 31, 2016.
Greg

Quote:

Tags
autoscam, boring threads