Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Deeply fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescuefin View Post
Using your car as a weapon....to piss someone off. Say it out loud. Drugs, mentally unstable....not rational....combination of the three. No it doesn't happen every day, but it has happened to me...hopefully never again, but given the scenario again, I would like to have had the choice. What some have not mentioned is that it may de-escalate. People tend not to assault those that aim a weapon at them...i.e. capable of defending themselves....but again, we're not dealing with rational folks.

Carrying a weapon is not new to me...either in professional or personal sense. Don't want to carry, don't carry. Hopefully we both roll 6's and never have to be in that crappy of a situation.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that our lives have been spent doing much different things and dealing with much different people.

Im out...I've got better things to do today.
I'm actually not far from Parker right now, thanks for the warning about the locals I haven't bothered to change my location on this forum.

I went over the situation you described that brought this up. No, I haven't been in a situation like that, but it seems you weren't physically injured in any way...if they wanted you dead they would have just run you over. So, now let's say you have your gun and pull it out, now what? 1) The guy screeches off...that's good. Maybe he makes a mental note to not f*ck with us, or maybe he makes a mental note to be more "prepared" next time. 2) The guy sees this and reaches behind his seat for his shotgun. What you gonna do? (probably what the driver would ask). Both of you are rational and in an awkward situation, someone says ok i'm putting the gun down, both of you do, and the guy drives off. Great. Now what if the guy is all "you gonna pull a f*ckin gun on me you f*cking d*uchebag in your *** superhero costume"...Now you better get ready to shoot in cleats.

All I'm saying, you were not harmed at all. If you let the guy go then you can continue on with life, note the guy's license plate and file a report. If you whip out that gun, assuming equal probabilities of all scenarios, there is about a 33% chance of someone dying, and since you're kinda out in the open, i'd suspect it might be you.

Isn't this type of analysis what you started the thread for?

Last edited by MadRocketSci; 04-20-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRocketSci View Post
I'm not a gun person and pretty ignorant on the whole subject...however...

it seems you are still alive after these 2-4 incidents, and if you had pulled a gun out, and the drivers had guns, it seems to me a significant probability that one of you would be dead, unless you both managed to calm down in the heat of the moment. guns escalate the situation and a peaceful resolution then requires both parties be rational, according to the principles of mutually assured destruction.

if someone wants to run me off the road then i'm getting off the road asap, to fight it out another day in court, if lucky.
Mine were all "hit and runs" from behind. There was no "I'm getting off the road" to it. My friends was up close and personal. One you can do almost nothing about, the other, maybe. But I'd sure give it a go rather than stand there helpless and at the very least get beat to hell.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:04 PM

What I'm reading here is that people who carry do it for emotional reasons, not for rational safety reasons. I won't deny there are crazy people out there, but if they want to kill you all they have to do is steer 5 feet to the right. If you live long enough for them to harass you, it follows that they didn't intend to kill you.

The bottom line for me is that carrying a gun is not going to do much for your personal safety on a bicycle; however, if you want to win a d!ck measuring contest with the local redneck and come home with your pride intact, while running the risk of getting shot at, carrying a gun might be for you.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Deeply fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
What I'm reading here is that people who carry do it for emotional reasons, not for rational safety reasons. I won't deny there are crazy people out there, but if they want to kill you all they have to do is steer 5 feet to the right. If you live long enough for them to harass you, it follows that they didn't intend to kill you.

The bottom line for me is that carrying a gun is not going to do much for your personal safety on a bicycle; however, if you want to win a d!ck measuring contest with the local redneck and come home with your pride intact, while running the risk of getting shot at, carrying a gun might be for you.
there does seem to be an "even the score, revenge" type rationalizing that is really the message. Or maybe i'm just a closet buddhist.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRocketSci View Post
there does seem to be an "even the score, revenge" type rationalizing that is really the message. Or maybe i'm just a closet buddhist.
Yes. You hit the nail on the head. I rather get the crap beat out of me than take a life.

This road leads to ruin. I suggest people here read a short story by Martin Amis called 'Bujak and the strong force'
Old 04-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:

I prefer to have dick measuring contest with Marxists from Berkley

Last edited by firerescuefin; 04-20-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Post Mod-ern

I never, EVER . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
I do not own a firearm.

I, however, am a concealed weapon.

. . . want to hear a comment from you about my zebra stripes!

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 04-20-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I prefer to have dick measuring contest with Marxists from Berkley
I was waiting for a Berkeley remark... it's only a matter of time in any vaguely political thread. Oh well, it's worth it for the weather and food here!
Old 04-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
I was waiting for a Berkeley remark... it's only a matter of time in any vaguely political thread. Oh well, it's worth it for the weather and food here!
You broke out with the underhanded insult and dick measuring comment....take a joke or move on.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Deeply fried

Quote:
Mmmm breads of india....kirala....drool....

oh yeah beat cal

btw the weather is mostly awesome out in CO as well...little windy sometimes in the spring...but very BA-esque w/o the morning fog...

Last edited by MadRocketSci; 04-20-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
i know what you mean geoff... I guess my only take is the fact that even though i've been trained to use a handgun and have had to qualify at the range several times i guess i'm not that confident that if i did fire it would actually hit anything... Much less a moving, human target that i bet would become very small in the heat of the moment... would having a ccw scare off some potential threats? Maybe... But then again, as others have said, i wonder how many times it would actually escalate it to violence...

Oh well, i'm going back to my national champ's jersey/rapha thread... :d
….

Last edited by Germany_chris; 04-20-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
You broke out with the underhanded insult and dick measuring comment....take a joke or move on.
I thought I did "take a joke".
Old 04-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
I thought I did "take a joke".
Lost in the translation...truce
Old 04-20-2012, 05:06 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
I guess you don't know too many cops then.....

If they are "sensitive" they can avert their tender eyes....
Google states 800,000 law enforcement officers in the US. You know half of 'em?
Old 04-20-2012, 05:20 PM

Ok, it's time...

Thank you all for participating. Good info!
Closed Thread

Tags
blue blanket, fear of unknown