Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
Read my post again. Never said I expected them to stock everything, or the stuff I prefer. I understand there are limits and I will sub on occasion or have them order it if they can/will. My pref is to buy local. But if they cant/wont order something that I want, I will go elsewhere. No hard feelin's.
I wasn't criticizing you. I was speaking more generally. My local shop stocks very little in terms of higher-end componentry and very few bikes. There is no need to, as it does fits and can sell this stuff out of catalogues, and have it within days. If it carries inventory, it gets stuck.

FWIW, I agree with your approach. I virtually always give my LBS an opportunity first, and only order online if the shop cannot get the stuff in a reasonable time or I'm in a pinch.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Well sure but depending on locale, not hard to become the shop in an area that 'qui si parla Campagnolo'. Yup, takes some commitment but having that focus is not hard. If I ever started a one man store again I'd be Campagnolo only. All it has to do is break even.
No bike shop that is going out of business would have been saved if it was a Campy shop. Not one.

I'd love to see a Campy only shop though. Especially if it stocked Veloflex, FMB, Dromarti and some of those nice Silca pumps. Kinda reminds me of that old joke:
Q: How do you make a small fortune in a Campagnolo bike shop
A: Start with a large one
Old 11-27-2015, 02:45 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftf View Post
To be fair everyone knows that vecchios is THE place to go for campy in Boulder.
Which begs the question: Why can't other shops establish themselves as THE place for Campy in their area? The big brands have had the smarts to establish their own super stores in key markets - a huge Cannondale shop opened a few miles from us. If Campy is serious about the US market, they should follow the same plan and establish Campy shops in key markets. My shop is large - we're considered the 400 pound gorilla in the market, yet with 1400 bikes built on our sales floor we have 3 with Campy equipment.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:04 PM

There's like 4 US employees and probably 2% of the market, no interest from the company

sad but true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
Which begs the question: Why can't other shops establish themselves as THE place for Campy in their area? The big brands have had the smarts to establish their own super stores in key markets - a huge Cannondale shop opened a few miles from us. If Campy is serious about the US market, they should follow the same plan and establish Campy shops in key markets. My shop is large - we're considered the 400 pound gorilla in the market, yet with 1400 bikes built on our sales floor we have 3 with Campy equipment.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:26 PM

Internet claims another LBS

H

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2015, 05:22 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by summilux View Post
No bike shop that is going out of business would have been saved if it was a Campy shop. Not one.

I'd love to see a Campy only shop though. Especially if it stocked Veloflex, FMB, Dromarti and some of those nice Silca pumps. Kinda reminds me of that old joke:
Q: How do you make a small fortune in a Campagnolo bike shop
A: Start with a large one
Never said it would. I said it's not that hard to identify an underserved niche, Campagnolo shop, and slide into that role. As for a Campagnolo only shop and sell shoes, black hole for $. Veloflex? Nope too expensive, certainly not FMB, no distributor. I'd stock Vittoria only.

And that fortune comment is true about any bid shop. Probably more do for a shimano/spam one cuz that's what most are.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:25 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
What's a 'Campy shop' established by Campy?. They do certify 'Pro Shops', is your shop one Ti?
Old 11-27-2015, 05:35 PM

There is a small shop that opened in Baltimore a few years ago that specializes in Campy (http://www.servicecoursecycle.com/home.html). Jason Wright always surprises me with what he's got in stock, and he does good work. He pops in here now and again. A great place and a huge welcome addition, in my book....
Old 11-27-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
I said it's not that hard to identify an underserved niche, Campagnolo shop, and slide into that role.
I need to get to the Republic. Here in Ottawa, that niche would be you, me and like ten other guys.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Cat 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
Getting lost in the City was historic for me.

http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...t-in-city.html

really great story aki!
Old 11-27-2015, 06:02 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
What's a 'Campy shop' established by Campy?. They do certify 'Pro Shops', is your shop one Ti?
Wheelworks is listed as a Campy pro shop, but I had to look that up to find out. There really is no attempt to establish shops that are go-to Campy shops.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:22 PM
not banished

Any given shop that isn't proficient in campy is not a bike shop. It's a shop that happens to sell bikes.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:54 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Wheelworks is listed as a Campy pro shop, but I had to look that up to find out. There really is no attempt to establish shops that are go-to Campy shops.
Campagnolo NA can help but it's up to the owner.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:59 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomonkey View Post
Any given shop that isn't proficient in campy is not a bike shop. It's a shop that happens to sell bikes.
There are a whole lot of non-bike shops out there...

When you say proficient, are we talking current product, or does this go back a few decades? I can think of a few people who know current product, I know the Nuovo Record era stuff as well as anyone, there are maybe a dozen people who really know that whole range. To be perfectly honest, we have a really hard time hiring mechanics who know how to work on the older stuff, but there's still a demand for that service (damn stuff won't wear out!) Mechanics learn about Shimano stuff, or they learn about sealed bearings. Bring a wheel with a Nuovo Record front hub into a shop to be repacked and there's a better than even chance that it comes back with 3/16" bearings (4 out of the 5 big shops in the Boston area did exactly that, only Sheldon Brown got it right)
Old 11-27-2015, 07:32 PM

I will say this nicely, its a naive thought to say that about a shop

At 2% or less of the market, why should a shop even bother. There's no dealer or oem support and why try to compete with a niche product that some grizzled old guy is just going to buy from overseas anyways? There's absolutely no point. It would take all 4 campy north america employees the better part of a decade to support and certify 100 dealers, they have officially missed the boat. Not like campy usa is really or setting the world on fire. I've owned more than my share of campy and have always had a soft spot but they are kind of done for a myriad of reasons, I've given up

If to buy campy, great and more power to you - but they've all but abandoned the american consumer. Be prepared to do everything yourself and buy all the tools. If a shop takes an interest in campy it is almost at their peril

I suggest you buy each local mechanic a 6 pack and apologize for even having this thought He is captive of what generates income and works hard at it. The whim of a miniscule part of the market doesn't pay the bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomonkey View Post