Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2024, 12:07 PM

MAN! I hate all these country folk coming to NYC during the holidays to see the big city and clog up midtown to visit the tree at Rock Center or watch the ball drop at Times Square. They leave their garbage everywhere and makes traffic horrendous for anyone trying to conduct business in their hometown during that time. I can't even get a reservation at my favorite restaurants at that point in the year - I could starve!

In all seriousness, it's a shame that visitors are misbehaving in Steamboat around this race. Of course the major transgressions are likely enacted by the few, but represent the whole.

Wishing everyone, the organizers, local government, participants, and the ranchers, all find a way to tolerate one another. Even better if they figure out a way to benefit of each other...
Old 01-10-2024, 01:36 PM

Unfortunately, it's human nature for people to act in an uncivil manner when vacationing or competing at events. There's a tendency for entitlement to overrule good manners. A few years back, I was visiting a national park. My family and I were at a popular vista. There were several roped off areas with "keep out" signage stating that vulnerable native plants were being replanted. We watched as several people ignored the signage and trampled the plants to get their "perfect" photos. We were aghast, but powerless to do anything as there were so many offenders.

Greg
Old 01-10-2024, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
A few years back, I was visiting a national park. My family and I were at a popular vista. There were several roped off areas with "keep out" signage stating that vulnerable native plants were being replanted. We watched as several people ignored the signage and trampled the plants to get their "perfect" photos. We were aghast, but powerless to do anything as there were so many offenders.

Greg
National parks, especially within about 1 mile from parking areas, are a great place to see the worst of humanity on display these days.
Old 01-10-2024, 01:53 PM
#RYFB

Reminds me of the incident a couple of years ago during a wildflower superbloom when some people landed in the middle of the flowers in a helicopter. Nice.
Old 01-10-2024, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
The sign is a legal notice and changes the sequence of events & outcomes when the police arrive at the property.

If there are no signs you are not liable for criminal trespass until someone tells you to leave and you refuse or return a second time. If there are signs you can be liable for criminal trespass immediately.

Are we this urban here? Without a sign people might not know at all they crossed into a different property. Signage and warnings exist to provide safety to both sides so you can't be charged unfairly.

I come across No Trespassing signs all the time in the woods. They don't bother me at all. I go down trails that I don't know where they go sometimes. The No Trespassing sign is the only warning I might get that I'm veering out of the trail system I intend to use.
I see that a lot here in Virginia too and I am out in the boonies except for my little town. In fact there was one trail I rode for probably some 20 years, a local favorite among mountain bikers, and come to find out only a couple years ago it was on private property. The State bought it an legally incorporated it into the National Forest trail system now. Either the land owner simply didn't know or didn't care I suppose.

I also used to live on 100 acres which was unmarked. If I saw someone back there I didn't care in the least bit. Some local kids built a little fort out of a crumbled down abandoned shed. I'd probably say something if the four wheelers were tearing it up though.
Old 01-10-2024, 02:15 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Reminds me of the incident a couple of years ago during a wildflower superbloom when some people landed in the middle of the flowers in a helicopter. Nice.
That was you who was shaking your fist in anger at us? Ha, small world!**
Old 01-10-2024, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I see that a lot here in Virginia too and I am out in the boonies except for my little town. In fact there was one trail I rode for probably some 20 years, a local favorite among mountain bikers, and come to find out only a couple years ago it was on private property. The State bought it an legally incorporated it into the National Forest trail system now. Either the land owner simply didn't know or didn't care I suppose
Thats so rare these days - I've had to back track and re-route so many times out around fort valley and other places following someone else's GPS route and I've come up on a gate or signs that make it seem clear they dont want anyone on their property. And then there's plenty of places that have closed/gated/private roads that really close off some nice route options with no alternatives.

I dont know if there's any legal implications, but, it sure would be nice if the signage said something to the effect of "you're welcome to ride your bike/atv/sled through here, stay on the graded road and dont bother anything"
Old 01-10-2024, 02:35 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Hey, as long as they got their selfies, who cares what the rotor wash did to the flowers when the helicopter took off?
Old 01-10-2024, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
I dont know if there's any legal implications, but, it sure would be nice if the signage said something to the effect of "you're welcome to ride your bike/atv/sled through here, stay on the graded road and dont bother anything"
Virginia has recreational use laws on the books, so mostly not a liability concern, just people being selfish asshats (mostly).

Like the road that connects Panhandle and Page Valley (west side of Shenandoah, east side of Massanutten ridge). There's zero reason (other than being selfish) to close that road to cyclists and hikers. I understand not wanting cars on the road, as it would become a cut-through for commuters/vacationers heading from southern Ft Valley into Front Royal. But there will never be enough bike or foot traffic there to be noticeable.

Or the Madeira School refusing to let the PHT pass through from Great Falls to Scotts Run.

Last edited by Alistair; 01-10-2024 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Thats so rare these days - I've had to back track and re-route so many times out around fort valley and other places following someone else's GPS route and I've come up on a gate or signs that make it seem clear they dont want anyone on their property. And then there's plenty of places that have closed/gated/private roads that really close off some nice route options with no alternatives.

There was a very beautiful piece of property near hear that was owned by an old women. There are spectacular geologic features called travertine falls where the calcium in the water crystalizes into beautiful pools. She had a little note at the gate that had a phone number and you simply had to call and ask if you could trespass and of course after a nice little conversation she would let you go.

I'm not sure the status of that property any more but it was quite a treat.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:52 PM

Quote:

It's fuzzy.

Random cyclist coming through is fine. A big group ride coming through, or it gets included on a race course or something will not be.

It's absolutely incredible how much damage a couple hundred cyclists can do if they insist on coming through in bad weather. XC and Cross races can absolutely demolish a trail system.
Old 01-10-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
XC and Cross races can absolutely demolish a trail system.
Paul, who promoted the Gloucester cross race forever, eventually lost use of the venue because the race "trashed" the grounds every year. He was so diligent about cleaning up and landscaping that the park was always left in better shape than before the race began, but there you go. Mostly I think it was that locals didn't like having their use of the park compromised for a weekend.
Old 01-10-2024, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
National parks, especially within about 1 mile from parking areas, are a great place to see the worst of humanity on display these days.
We saw a lot of this when we visited Iceland a few years back. And it wasn’t just places that were ecological sensitive - people were jumping barriers or getting too close to rough surf to get photos. Iceland has to periodically close some of the beaches because some idiot family will get washed away (and the beaches there are no joke brutal waves).
Old 01-11-2024, 02:08 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I was curious if anyone would bring up the Gloucester GP

There were a bunch of reasons the event came to an end.

People/neighbors didn’t like the sound system / music running all day
Traffic in the area due to the large number is cars not using designated parking
A couple of people set up tents in neighboring yards
Attitude given towards abutters by some competitors
Perceived access issues to the playground in the middle of the course
Behavior of spectators who overdid their consumption

The fees increased as more police/EMT staffing was required by the city
A bond was asked for to cover landscaping despite the outstanding care already being done by the organizers

It eventually became too difficult to meet all the city demands

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:36 AM

From the original article: "...But the ranchers say the riders’ trash, selfish attitudes and disregard for safety..."

Sounds like any group ride.