Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2024, 09:31 AM
n - 1

Open Upper

For a while, I’ve been thinking of a one-bike solution. At least for gravel and road. I don’t race nor do I ride with super fast guys. 95% of the time, I ride alone because no one wants to get up at 5am to ride with me.
I typically ride mostly road although there are a few gravel sections I could take as an alternative. I do some gravel through the season. Probably 80/20 road/gravel split.

I was looking at various frames. Crux, Domane, even Carbonda.

An Open Upper frameset came up in a local classifieds for $1,600. Minimal miles. Looks to be in great shape.

From the reviews and geometry, it appears to be basically a fat tired road bike. I think this would fit exactly what I’m looking for. Maybe 700x32 for road rides. And 40’s for gravel (or even 650b x 55).

Anyone own one?
Old 05-21-2024, 09:38 AM

Too bad you aren't in London, I know someone who wants to sell a fully loaded Open WI.DE
Old 05-21-2024, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
For a while, I’ve been thinking of a one-bike solution. At least for gravel and road. I don’t race nor do I ride with super fast guys. 95% of the time, I ride alone because no one wants to get up at 5am to ride with me.
I typically ride mostly road although there are a few gravel sections I could take as an alternative. I do some gravel through the season. Probably 80/20 road/gravel split.

An Open Upper frameset came up in a local classifieds for $1,600. Minimal miles. Looks to be in great shape.

From the reviews and geometry, it appears to be basically a fat tired road bike. I think this would fit exactly what I’m looking for. Maybe 700x32 for road rides. And 40’s for gravel (or even 650b x 55).

Anyone own one?
I owned an Open Upper and would recommend it for your type of riding. It's a good and light roadbike, without being a race bike. Put some 650b wheels and gravel tires in the frame and it becomes a decent and fast gravel bike, too. I sold it just because i wanted to add a real race bike to the stable, but also bought an Open Wide at the same time for the gravel rides. $1.600 sounds like a good deal.
Old 05-21-2024, 11:28 AM

I was in the same boat as you and decided on a Crux. I don’t regret my decision at all and the bike is plenty fast with 32mm tires. I’ve read and heard that the Upper is slightly more “road” compared to the Crux so I’d imagine that it would be exactly what you’re looking for.
Old 05-21-2024, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Anyone own one?
I had an Open UP - great all around bike. I used a 1x12 and Zipp 303 Firecrests, and it worked well as a road bike. Never used it on gravel but easily fit 700x40 tires.

I currently have the frameset for sale if you are a large (56cm) - only selling because I have too much overlap with a Domane, Vamoots and Routt. Mint shape (no scratches or chips) - PM if interested. There's pics built-up in my gallery (see signature)
Old 05-21-2024, 11:41 AM
n - 1

Thanks all. I think I will pick it up. The only thing I don’t like is the PFBB but I’ve had good luck using Wheels Mfg thread together BB’s on other bikes.

velo - I’m a medium/54. Thanks though!
Old 05-21-2024, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks all. I think I will pick it up. The only thing I don’t like is the PFBB but I’ve had good luck using Wheels Mfg thread together BB’s on other bikes.

velo - I’m a medium/54. Thanks though!

Good move.
I use an UP as my main road bike in similar ways. I bet you will like it too.

Instagram
Old 05-21-2024, 04:13 PM
n - 1

I picked it up. Very stoked to get it built up.

This is my first bike with internal routing. Since I’ll be running Stam AXS, I just need to worry about brake cables.

Is it recommended I use those foam noodles for noise/rattle control?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4379.jpg (64.3 KB, 196 views)
Old 05-21-2024, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I picked it up. Very stoked to get it built up.

This is my first bike with internal routing. Since I’ll be running Stam AXS, I just need to worry about brake cables.

Is it recommended I use those foam noodles for noise/rattle control?
I would use those foam noodles ... makes sense.
Old 05-21-2024, 04:49 PM

Nice bikes.

Have fun.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:03 PM

Open Upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open View Post

Yes, definitely, for the section within the downtube

Instagram
Old 05-21-2024, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open View Post
Any advantage over extended zip ties or just another product to purchase?
Old 05-21-2024, 06:59 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Any advantage over extended zip ties or just another product to purchase?
It was $6 on Amazon which will cover much more than I need so bought it. I thought about the zip tie method but wondering if there would be scratching sound. It would drive me nuts.

I also just ordered BTLOS wheels. They’re offering free FedEx shipping so hopefully will be here soon.
I’ve got everything else except cranks, rotors, and BB.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:25 PM

Few words of caution

-chain drop is a known issue with this frame. Make sure you use a keeper and put a lot of protection along the DS BB or you’ll mangle the carbon (ask me how I know )
-brake hose bending at the DT can get tight and lead to hose damage. They even tried to blame it on Campy when it’s clearly a design issue. Just take a lot of care when building up and check the hose for kinks
-seatpost clamp hardware is kind of odd - very easy to bunch up the very thin carbon unevenly. Might make sense to invest in a more robust clamp
-fork and rear triangle lateral stiffness is a bit lacking. Can cause but more brake rub then expected when really grinding out of the saddle and putting down lots of watts at lower cadence. Also if your running minimal tire clearance (any less than 4mm front or back) then the tire can run the fork and chain stays.

Other than that if the geo works for you it’s a moghty fine riding frameset.
Old 05-21-2024, 10:51 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
-chain drop is a known issue with this frame. Make sure you use a keeper and put a lot of protection along the DS BB or you’ll mangle the carbon (ask me how I know )
-brake hose bending at the DT can get tight and lead to hose damage. They even tried to blame it on Campy when it’s clearly a design issue. Just take a lot of care when building up and check the hose for kinks
-seatpost clamp hardware is kind of odd - very easy to bunch up the very thin carbon unevenly. Might make sense to invest in a more robust clamp
-fork and rear triangle lateral stiffness is a bit lacking. Can cause but more brake rub then expected when really grinding out of the saddle and putting down lots of watts at lower cadence. Also if your running minimal tire clearance (any less than 4mm front or back) then the tire can run the fork and chain stays.

Other than that if the geo works for you it’s a moghty fine riding frameset.
Good to know. Thanks. What BB did you use? I’m looking at Wheels Mfg thread together. Hoping these will work ok.
https://wheelsmfg.com/386evo-abec-3-...nks-black.html

I found these Red crankset with 46T for a good price as well. I figure this will be a good match for the 10-46 XPLR rear. Should be plenty for road and steep gravel climbs.
https://planetcyclery.com/sram-crank...waAu_iEALw_wcB