Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2024, 09:27 AM

Locktite retaining compound is the real fix for the BB.

Having said that, most of the time my bb is making noise I fix it by retorqueing the cassette lockring.
Old 05-24-2024, 12:49 PM

Omg

So I tried everything I could think of, still creaking/ticking when under power. So I went ahead and ordered a bbinfinite bb that comes tomorrow.

In the meantime the last thing for me to try was swapping another set of wheels into the bike. And voila, it’s gone

Frick, I should have tried this earlier but didn’t think it was a wheel/cassette/fhb issue, put in my bora WTOs, and it’s silent again.

Bike is silent as it should be now and mystery partially solved. I will try to figure out it it’s the red cassette, DT Swiss 240 hubs or something with the wheels…. But no rush as I’ll just run my WTOs for now….

This is the first creaking I’ve ever had to chase this hard and I should ahhave swapped the wheels earlier. They’re a new build so they should have been part of the equation. I had tightened/checked the red cassette but didn’t swap to another set of wheels until today……

Now it’s time for a drink to celebrate the cessation of annoying noise!
Old 05-24-2024, 03:36 PM

This may have been mentioned, but looking through the thread, I didn't see it specifically. About 7 or 8 years ago I had creaking, crunching, that would happen on rides while under load, but would not happen in the workstand. It ended up being a lack of grease between the cogs of the cassette and the freehub body. I always put grease on a freehub body before installing a cassette now.