Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2024, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I lived in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco for over a decade. That all seems familiar. Now I just worry about deers, squirrels, and harried soccer moms.
Downtown living is an experience.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:44 PM

I ride pre-dawn nearly every day. I ride east to start, as the sun gets higher, I'm headed west. I start with my headlight on steady until the sun comes up and then go to blink. I use my tubeless gravel bike because I don't want to be fixing a flat at dark-thirty and freezing temps, it's all about time on the bike anyway. To be honest, I've never had an issue with any driver on an early ride, but I have seen lots of deer, foxes, coyotes, and an Oregon badger a few times. It's a really nice time to ride, I did early mornings where we lived before too, I'm sorta addicted to it.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:42 PM

I've ridden tons overnight and early darkness commuting. Dark is my favorite time, out in the country. With a bright headlight lighting up a patch in front of me, a solid rear light and a blinker, and reflective ankle bands and vest, people see me. I really feel quite safe as long as traffic is light - cars coming in singles without much conflicting oncoming traffic.

With one exception. Just want to emphasize about not riding into the low sun. If you find yourself going into a low sun with any traffic coming from behind. Get off the road. Have a sit in the ditch and wait out the sun. Chat with the locals, whatever.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:59 PM

In addition to front and rear lights, I have flashing green bands on my ankles and spoke reflectors on both wheels for much better side visibility.
Old 05-18-2024, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I lived in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco for over a decade. That all seems familiar. Now I just worry about deers, squirrels, and harried soccer moms.
There were times in Seattle where I just hung out in the garage to allow some local folks (but mostly just one guy) to move on
Old 05-18-2024, 02:23 AM

I've been commuting to work with a 4:30 AM start time from early Sept through late June for the past 20 years. Most of the year that ride is entirely in the dark. I've been using light & motion seca headlights for almost all of that time - currently the 2500 enduro. It's suburban/rural - almost no streetlights and it's also hilly and I use my regular road bike.

It's also my favorite time to ride - (A LOT) less traffic and you're easily seen.

I also wear slap bands around my ankles when I wear shoe covers - when it's warmer I have shoes w/ reflective material on the back. Rear light is a niterider 300.

It's the coldest part of the day during the winter and when it snows you have to watch out for the idiots who plow their driveways and push the snow into the road and take up the entire shoulder.
Old 05-18-2024, 04:55 AM

great advice throughout. We had a 6AM group ride which meant I was on the road at 5:30, miss those days. Light and Varia for me, also a blinky ankle band. For a while (and they're on super sale right now link below) I had that Lumos helmet with the turn signal/brake light built in (don't laugh it was pretty nice- a bit noisy above 20mph) lumos helmet

Last edited by Davist; 05-18-2024 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2024, 05:07 AM
Vendor

Bright lights, bright helmet, bright clothing. Bright socks are a wonder for visibility, what with the way they go up 'n down up 'n down.
In many instances, I actually feel safer riding in the unsunshine hours, since I think good lights in the dark provide a greater visual contrast for drivers.

Deer are a problem, day or night. If you're in a place with a high deer population and their point of emergence (from the woods, over a fence, etc) is close to the road so that both of your reaction times are diminished, the best recommendation I have is to ride at a moderate pace and keep yourself in a position where you can react quickly. Don't tuck on the descents, for example.

Blackburn makes a really nice set of yellow lights, very bright, that are designed to strap onto the side of a bike fork. I used those a while ago and they were great for alerting drivers coming out of driveways, parking lots, intersections, of my presence. Maybe they'd work for deer too? I don't know, I can't fathom the minds of deer. Such beautiful creatures. So (apparently) stupid. Worse at processing oncoming traffic than squirrels.
Old 05-18-2024, 09:09 AM
slower than you

Bright lights, clear lenses.

I bike in northern Baltimore a lot. You have to start at dawn in July and August. Just stay away from heavy commuter routes.
Old 05-18-2024, 09:32 AM

RUSA Reflectivity Guidelines

Aside from peoples individual preferences, here is what Randonners USA has to say about the matter of reflectivity and riding in low light conditions

RUSA reflectivity guidelines:

https://rusa.org/reflectivity

and,

Article 10 (rules for riders)

"While riding between sunset and sunrise and during other low-light conditions (rain, fog, etc.), a set of working front and rear lights must be firmly mounted on the vehicle and turned on. At least one of the rear lights must be in a steady (rather than flashing) mode. The lights must meet the requirements of local laws. Backup lighting systems and/or spare bulbs are strongly recommended in case the primary system fails and cannot be repaired on the roadside.

Between sunset and sunrise and during other low-light conditions, all riders must wear a reflective vest or some other device that clearly places significant reflective material on the front and back of the rider. During these times all riders will also wear a reflective ankle band around each ankle. (Due to their seating position, recumbent riders may modify their reflective torso devices to show better from front and rear.) Other reflective devices on clothing, shoes, helmets, and machines are encouraged for increased safety - but they are extra and may not take the place of the minimum items listed above. Riders must review the RUSA Reflectivity Guide and are strongly encouraged to meet the recommended minimum standards for torso reflectivity described in that document."
Old 05-18-2024, 06:33 PM

Transition lenses

Didn’t read all the posts, so maybe this was already mentioned: transition lenses.

I was doing some early morning rides a while back, leaving my house at ~5am to meet a group. After getting peppered in the face a couple times with road debris, I got some Rudy Project glasses with their transition lenses in an outlet sale. Perfect as the sun would be out before the ride ended. Clear could work too, but nice to have some shading and I still use those glasses on cloudy/overcast days.
Old 05-19-2024, 06:49 AM

I’ve been riding mountain and gravel bikes a lot pre-dawn, it’s an awesome way to start the day. I’ve got an Outbound Trail Evo light that is absolutely incredible, it turns night into day. I’ve actually set several Strava PRs descending at night since getting that light.

I haven’t done any road riding though, kudos to you guys. It scares the **** out of me to be on the road in the dark with cars whizzing by. The roads just outside of town where I live are sketchy as hell in the daytime though, night road rides ain’t happening here.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
I've been commuting to work with a 4:30 AM start time from early Sept through late June for the past 20 years. Most of the year that ride is entirely in the dark. I've been using light & motion seca headlights for almost all of that time - currently the 2500 enduro. It's suburban/rural - almost no streetlights and it's also hilly and I use my regular road bike.

It's also my favorite time to ride - (A LOT) less traffic and you're easily seen.

I also wear slap bands around my ankles when I wear shoe covers - when it's warmer I have shoes w/ reflective material on the back. Rear light is a niterider 300.

It's the coldest part of the day during the winter and when it snows you have to watch out for the idiots who plow their driveways and push the snow into the road and take up the entire shoulder.
Curious....

Sept-June and not June-Sept in NY?

Brave
Old 05-19-2024, 11:30 AM

This seems like a good deal on a light, Light and Motion Seca Comp 2000 Headlight, $99.00, anyone want to comment on the use of this light for pre dawn riding, please?

https://lightandmotion.com/products/seca-comp-2000

Old 05-19-2024, 07:03 PM
aluminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
This seems like a good deal on a light, Light and Motion Seca Comp 2000 Headlight, $99.00, anyone want to comment on the use of this light for pre dawn riding, please?

https://lightandmotion.com/products/seca-comp-2000

I bought this on a similar sale about a year ago and it has been great for my pre sunrise road rides, the battery life is more than adequate. The only thing i would note is the mount is kind of annoying (but fine when i leave it on my gopro style mount)