Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2024, 07:46 AM

I’m partial to Turbo Cottons.

Old 02-15-2024, 08:16 AM

I have had really good luck with Specialized S-Works Turbo clinchers in 700x26. They ride nice, wear well, and I think I've had one puncture in 7-8 years of use. I don't think I could bring myself to mount Specialized tires on Bontrager wheels though.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:21 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
So what tires are the ones to get these days?
I will go with the recommendations that pals brought up here so far.
But my long-time favorite is still the old venerable 700x27mm Vittoria Open Pave CG III and since I bought a truckload of them when they came back on sale a year ago, I am still using them on my rides today and probably for a while into the future.

Old 02-15-2024, 08:22 AM

That 765 Optimum above is about as good as a modern bike gets in the aesthetics department. So well proportioned and understated. It's a beaut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
One further question for those using Veloflex clinchers.

I often get a chalky film that develops on the black sidewalls of the Veloflex tubulars I use. I can easily remove it by wiping them with rubbing alcohol, though it sometimes comes back. The longer I run the tubs the less of an issue this is.

Do the clinchers also develop this film?
We may be talking about two different things, but I often get something similar after mounting tires and assumed it was skin cells from my hand that stand out against the black rubber, but not sure. It's not uniform and appears where I use my hands to apply pressure and "roll" the last 6" of bead onto the rim.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 02-15-2024 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:43 AM

Victoria corsa
Panaracer agilest
Rene Herse

I really like the agilests, and find that a nice supple tire that's not tubeless compatible is the jam with tubes for road tires under 32mm
Old 02-15-2024, 08:47 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_biker View Post

Last, I picked up some of the Michelin Pro4 “Endurance” series. These are great. Lively, but durable. Easy to mount. But they run wide. 25c are almost 28, 28c are easily 30+.

Good luck!
glad to hear they finally went back to plumper tires.. I LOVED the Pro 2's back in the day as the 25s typically measured out fatter, closer to a 27.. the replacements measured more like Contis of the time, a good amount smaller..

might have to try Michelins again..
Old 02-15-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
Hey Bdaghisallo. Did you ever post a pic of your bike ? I was always wondering how the full build turned out. (Sorry for the off topic)
It's not completely built yet - I need to find my cutting guide to trim the fork - but here's an shot of it as it stands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMS Zukas 2024 Build 12Feb24.jpg (144.2 KB, 231 views)
Old 02-15-2024, 10:22 AM

If you are mainly looking for great ride quality, the best ones that I have found are the Veloflex Corsa. The ride feel is out-of-this-world. If you ask me, these clincher versions that I rode tubeless at 28 mm rode even better than their Veloflex Arenberg tubular (25 mm) counterparts.

Alas, the Veloflex clinchers do not last long. I had multiple flats and after trying them out for about 400 miles, I gave up on them. Now, I am not Vittoria Corsa TLR 28 mm. Their ride quality is not as good as the Velloflex Corsa's but it is close, very close.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:03 AM

Michelins = newfound love

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
glad to hear they finally went back to plumper tires.. I LOVED the Pro 2's back in the day as the 25s typically measured out fatter, closer to a 27.. the replacements measured more like Contis of the time, a good amount smaller..

might have to try Michelins again..
Got 25c and 28c from BTD last summer and threw them on the bikes I ride in the really foul stuff. This early fall I went out on a hilly ride where the weather truly deteriorated. The 28c tires were planted, grippy, and durable. Looking to get more. They do run wide as you mention…
Old 02-15-2024, 03:41 PM
#RYFB

My previous two sets had been Pirelli P Zero 28s, which I liked, they measured true on HED Belgium+ rims, lasted well and were quite puncture resistant. That said, I got a new set of BTLOS wheels and decided to go back to Veloflex Corsas (also 28) and find the road feel superior. I have found them to be less puncture resistant in the past but so far no issues.

If price were no issue I'd likely ride Specialized Turbo Cottons.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadco View Post
I’m partial to Turbo Cottons.

That’s a pretty bike

Edit: tree’d, apparently

Last edited by dmitrik4; 02-15-2024 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I will go with the recommendations that pals brought up here so far.
But my long-time favorite is still the old venerable 700x27mm Vittoria Open Pave CG III and since I bought a truckload of them when they came back on sale a year ago, I am still using them on my rides today and probably for a while into the future.

Dude. I have these on my Cannondale, they’re amazing, easily the best riding tires I’ve ever tried.. It’s sad that Vittoria stopped making these, is there a modern equivalent? The back one is getting a little squared off.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:08 PM

I haven’t read all the posts. But what is the internal width? That’s the most relevant dimension or factor here IMHO.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
Dude. I have these on my Cannondale, they’re amazing, easily the best riding tires I’ve ever tried.. It’s sad that Vittoria stopped making these, is there a modern equivalent? The back one is getting a little squared off.
The tread pattern and width on these is 100% identical to the previous generation of the Veloflex Corsa clinchers. File tread inner with chevron outer. If it weren't for the Vittoria Corsa sidewall logo, I'd have bet my last dollar they were Veloflex's.

Considering Veloflex was started by Vittoria employees in Italy, who bought the old tooling when Vittoria went to Thailand..... I think it's likely they are same. Including the cotton sidewalls and carcass.

I can't speak to whether the compound is the same though. While I agree, those Veloflex's are the nicest riding clinchers I've ever had the pleasure of riding, they were downright dangerous in wet conditions.
Old 02-16-2024, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I haven’t read all the posts. But what is the internal width? That’s the most relevant dimension or factor here IMHO.
21mm