Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2024, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
From what I've read, the logic is that when gravel riding they designed it to avoid the inadvertent multi-cog shift, presumably more likely when traveling on rough terrain.
...but...Shimano and others allow multi-cog down and upshifting on their mountain bike setups...is gravel unique?

Sounds like I'll like the mod.
Sampson
HotTubes
LtSpeed
SpeshFat
Old 01-19-2024, 05:00 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
...but...Shimano and others allow multi-cog down and upshifting on their mountain bike setups...is gravel unique?
Maybe distinct regarding drop bars and hand position, but pure conjecture on my part. I never understood why Shimano road (and, for that matter, GRX) don't allow multishift down.
Old 01-19-2024, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post

Sounds like I'll like the mod.
It's unfortunate they didn't make the shift button stop removable, so users could choose for themselves whether they wanted the shift limit. It looks like the metal rod could have been inserted through hole in the back of the shifter, allowing the user to optionally pull out it out.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Maybe distinct regarding drop bars and hand position, but pure conjecture on my part. I never understood why Shimano road (and, for that matter, GRX) don't allow multishift down.
Looking at it from a Campy user perspective, neither could I. It was an obvious disadvantage (although how important is debatable). When I rode a bike equipped with the lower level Campy gruppos which shifted like Shimano, I really missed it.

Then about 10 years ago I dabbled in cyclocross racing… and there it made a lot of sense, at least for that use case scenario: rough ground, full gas.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:05 PM

I have been racing cyclocross with Campagnolo for 20 years and always liked ultrashift for this.

I Built a Bianchi Zolder with Ekar in 2022 with the intent to use it for Cyclocross. Unfortunately I broke my hip later that year so I took 2 seasons off. I intend to race cyclocross in 2024. The Ekar ultrashift mod seems like the way to go. I need to find out how easy it is to put the pin back if there are issues.
Old 01-21-2024, 06:06 PM

Given the threat of rain (and it did, every so lightly), I raced my Open UP with Ekar and road wheels with 30mm tires in today's first road crit of the year. Worked flawlessly. ;-)

Separately, does anyone know if there are other chainring bolts besides Ekar bolts that will work with Ekar crank? I have a spare crank I'm selling and would like to replace the bolts. Just wasn't sure if there is something proprietary about the bolt that mandates I buy Ekar bolts (which only seem to be available from the UK based on my limited search).

Thanks, Eddie
Old 01-22-2024, 07:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiepaletti View Post
Given the threat of rain (and it did, every so lightly), I raced my Open UP with Ekar and road wheels with 30mm tires in today's first road crit of the year. Worked flawlessly. ;-)

Separately, does anyone know if there are other chainring bolts besides Ekar bolts that will work with Ekar crank? I have a spare crank I'm selling and would like to replace the bolts. Just wasn't sure if there is something proprietary about the bolt that mandates I buy Ekar bolts (which only seem to be available from the UK based on my limited search).

Thanks, Eddie
I'll ask my guy at Campagnolo, NA..I think they are just short CR bolts, like track bolts but I'll ask.

Update…Campag, NA has the set, FC-EK-100, $20 for the set. He’s not sure if they are compatible with others.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-22-2024 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-22-2024, 01:39 PM

To give an update, the bike shop redid the shifting cable and opted for stops into the frame instead of full housing. There were no notes on issues, but I have not tried it due to rain and newborn caretaking. Will try as soon as I can and update.
Old 01-22-2024, 01:42 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
have not tried it due to rain and newborn caretaking. Will try as soon as I can and update.
Dude, where are your priorities??
Seriously -- congratulations on the addition.
Old 01-22-2024, 03:39 PM

That's what my wife says too :P
Old 01-22-2024, 03:50 PM

By the way, if anyone has a extra rear brake cable hose they're not using, I'm open to buying it. $90+ for a new one is nuts. I was thinking of having the LBS reroute the brake cables to take advantage of internal routing in the handlebars but I already cut mine too short.

I can't post this request in the Classifieds section as I don't have enough posts.
Old 01-22-2024, 03:50 PM

Congratulation on the new addition. Fingers crossed you have things solved. My next attempt will be with stops and not full length so anxious the hear if you licked this with your other new addition
Old 01-22-2024, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I'll ask my guy at Campagnolo, NA..I think they are just short CR bolts, like track bolts but I'll ask.

Update…Campag, NA has the set, FC-EK-100, $20 for the set. He’s not sure if they are compatible with others.
Thank you!! I looked at their website and searched on FC-EK100 and nothing came up. Will try again.
Old 01-22-2024, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
By the way, if anyone has a extra rear brake cable hose they're not using, I'm open to buying it. $90+ for a new one is nuts. I was thinking of having the LBS reroute the brake cables to take advantage of internal routing in the handlebars but I already cut mine too short.

I can't post this request in the Classifieds section as I don't have enough posts.
The hydraulic hose? Most of the brake systems are Magura - for my H11 system I have used regular Magura hoses without issue. Much cheaper. Same for their olive and barbs.
Old 01-23-2024, 07:03 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiepaletti View Post
Thank you!! I looked at their website and searched on FC-EK100 and nothing came up. Will try again.
If you need them, let me know...