Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2022, 07:22 AM

If it helps I've had two sets of handbuilts with Velocity rims. Great rims that have proven to be trouble-free.

I've had several made using various Kinlin too. These are light wheelsets challenged by my weight and the rough roads I ride on.

I've had one 30mm rear rear that developed cracks after around 8000 miles but had no concerns lacing on another Kinlin that's been running strong now for a few years.

I also have a legit 1400 gram wheelset made with some 27mm Kinlins in 2010 that I've never had to touch.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:41 AM
Vendor

Ok, so I'm going to chime in as well. This is pretty darn close to what I'm looking for but I want even more difficultly. Either:

1. Ceramic coated (think Exalith, Oxic, Mille/Nite) so the rim brake suface is black.
OR
2. All silver so there is no contrast on the MSW... like first gen Shamal's (although, I guess Shamals didn't have a MSW... but close enough)

AND

32-35mm deep. And I need them in 20h and 28h.

it looks hard to beat DT Swiss 511's, BUT they don't come in either 1 or 2. they only come in the now ubiquitous 'cheapy' black with siilver MSW. Meh.

Even though First gen 16 spoke shamals were boat anchors by today's standards... even heavier than current Scirocco's... there has never been a more beautiful wheel IMHO. Fratelli makes this rim (pretty light too) but it's super hard to get, it's expensive and it's just anodized and apparently the finish is worse braking and wears off in weeks.

Last edited by rain dogs; 03-12-2022 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-12-2022, 11:08 AM

If you can compromise on the depth, the silver H Plus Son Archetypes would fit the rest of your criteria.
Old 03-12-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
H plus Son TB14 is your best bet, IMHO.
I like the box shape of the TB14, but was referencing the Open Pro more as a color / no frills kinda things.

A quick look at the H plus Son website and I’ve discovered I’m not their target customer. No color info, reference photos, etc
Old 03-13-2022, 07:27 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
If you can compromise on the depth, the silver H Plus Son Archetypes would fit the rest of your criteria.
Archetypes aren't officially tubeless compatible - I'm sure you can make it work, but that don't have the shelf/lip. Unless they've made something new recently?
Old 03-13-2022, 07:59 AM

I have had DT Swiss and liked them. My wheel builder too.
The 460 was slightly out radially. Builder told me he could have even tension, or adjust the wheel to get it out. It worried me initially, but I was nitpicking as it has remained true for years even on a cyclocross bike that goes on XC trails.
For the price, I think its terrific and I may have just gotten an exception. Other one built perfectly.
I also had the 411. Light, nice. Requires special (provided) nipples and spacers. I found them VERY hard to mount tires on though, probably because of tubeless compatibility or maybe well is shallower than on 460.
Once upon a time I had A23 Velocity's an wore them out after 8 years or so but had no problems. I would be open to them again.
I am trying to (and probably will_) wear out some old Stan's rim. Thought of replacing them with HED but now i'm not so sure. Goal for me is to not buy new spokes as well, so you should factory that in if you are talking about RIM replacement. Particularly if you have SAPIM like me.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Altamonts are in the process of re-stocking since they were just recently redesigned, so will probably have more options soon.

Astral makes a nice, boutique-y alloy rim:
https://astralcycling.com/collection...ducts/solstice
https://astralcycling.com/collection...oducts/radiant

Pacenti is still kicking, although some might still have a bad taste from the SL23 v1 debacle:
https://pacenticycledesign.com/colle...road-front-rim

November Dave's blog is always an awesome resource for Jurassic rims.
https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog
Definitely a bad taste from the SL23, but I believe Kirk is no longer running that show.
Old 03-13-2022, 11:29 AM

Why not just get some Campy or Fulcrum prebuilt wheels? They might not be 28H, but are known to be strong, light, smooth, and durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
I have had DT Swiss and liked them. My wheel builder too.
The 460 was slightly out radially. Builder told me he could have even tension, or adjust the wheel to get it out. It worried me initially, but I was nitpicking as it has remained true for years even on a cyclocross bike that goes on XC trails.
For the price, I think its terrific and I may have just gotten an exception. Other one built perfectly.
I also had the 411. Light, nice. Requires special (provided) nipples and spacers.
The 411 rim requires DT PHR washers but is compatible with all nipples. This is the case for many DT rims now, which are among the best on the market for the money. I have built MANY of them and all happy customers.
Old 03-14-2022, 06:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryker View Post
The 411 rim requires DT PHR washers but is compatible with all nipples. This is the case for many DT rims now, which are among the best on the market for the money. I have built MANY of them and all happy customers.
Beat me to it..yup, MUST use the supplied rim/nipple washers but I have built many using 14mm Sapim brass SecureLock nipps. The supplied nipps are nice, but aluminum alloy and for most builds I prefer to build with brass...Yup, there are brass Squorx nipples but hard to find and pricey.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:08 PM

Wow.. the new Boyd Altamonts rims might actually be arriving this year!

Quote:
Extrusion samples have arrived. Testing and testing, and even more testing is set to occur over the course of January. Then extrusions are ordered for production, rims are made, and wheels are built. With all this, we are fingers crossed hoping to release these in early March (just in time for the snow to thaw out for a lot of you).
The big piece of news will coincide with the release of these!
Old 01-19-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Wow.. the new Boyd Altamonts rims might actually be arriving this year!
I keep checking back on these every few months. I continue thinking about getting the HED Ardennes RA Blacks as alternative. I gotta say I like the look, and despite the popularity of other HED wheels like the Belgium + rims, I can't find much info or reviews on them.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackus View Post
I keep checking back on these every few months. I continue thinking about getting the HED Ardennes RA Blacks as alternative. I gotta say I like the look, and despite the popularity of other HED wheels like the Belgium + rims, I can't find much info or reviews on them.
They're okay. Great quality, per usual from HED. They look cool. They make lots of noise while braking and gobble up brake pads, can't say I notice a huge difference in braking performance.
Old 01-19-2023, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRietz View Post
They're okay. Great quality, per usual from HED. They look cool. They make lots of noise while braking and gobble up brake pads, can't say I notice a huge difference in braking performance.
Thanks for the feedback. Any experience with the Altamont to compare it with?
Old 01-19-2023, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackus View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Any experience with the Altamont to compare it with?
Unfortunately, no.

I believe Boyd was offering the Altamont with a ceramic coated brake track at one point - is that what you're asking about in terms of comparison?

If so, I've ridden ceramic coated brake tracks (Mavic) and they likewise make some, but not lots of difference in stopping. Less of a whooshing noise and more of a sandpaper noise. Also eat brake pads. More likely to clog up/experience high deposition from pad material as the relative texture is much smaller.

As far as normal machined sidewall Altamonts or Belgiums (the base of an Ardennes Black, without the fancy sidewall machining), I'd expect them to brake and ride pretty much the same.

Just looked at the deets for the new Altamonts. They remind me very much of the Pacenti Forza in a symmetric front/asymmetric rear combo. No more ceramic coated brake tracks, so fairly apples and oranges to compare the Altamonts with the Ardennes Black situation.

Last edited by DRietz; 01-19-2023 at 09:34 PM.

Tags
700c, rim brakes, rims, wheels