Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Seems like I'm an apologist for big, 'evil' corporations. 'Nightmare'?
Hmmm, drove the car for 3 years, get almost full boat towards a new car. Meanwhile drove the car. I'll drive over, trade keys, drive away a 2017 GSW 4Motion..not exactly a nightmare, IMHO.
I agree but you are glossing over the truly large amount of NOX that our cars spew every time we drive them. It's not a small amount and it is harmful to the environment. A nightmare? Probably not but it's hardly all upsides.

dave
Old 12-12-2016, 10:07 AM

I agree with Dave. Diesel spew from garbage trucks, buses, dreyage equipment, trains, old VWs and Benz, etc. is a serious health hazard. These cars were advertised as clean diesel. If the advertising fluff and supposed data did not support these representations, I never would have bought one. Now that we know VW perpetrated a fraud, and that these cars spew large amounts of NOX, I believe we have a duty to get these things off the road as soon as possible.

Last edited by chrisroph; 12-12-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:40 AM

Valid as well. I figure all the auto manufacturers cheat to an extent and that still the majority of vehicles, presuming they weren't programmed to cheat, on the road are a bit older and contribute also in larger quantities to air pollution. And, besides breathing it to ride a bike, I do actually care about these things...though in my mind it's the layers of deceit, rather than the actual damage done, that is of the largest significance. Maybe I've worked in the environmental field long enough that I see everything as gray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2016, 07:19 PM

Almost over. Appointment scheduled for 1/5.

It has been a nightmare for me lately. I can't drive over 60mph without the front end trying to shake itself apart. Last week I could go 65. Fortunately Mrs. Shovel has given me the green light to purchase something ahead of time.

Last edited by shovelhd; 12-12-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:20 PM

Good to hear everyone is getting some motion with a buyback. Trying to get into something before all the deals sunset at the end of December and my buyback is on 12/30 at 6.30pm.

Guys at work have me half convinced its a trick cooked up by the workers in the call center, I'll show at the dealer and they will be barricaded inside and having a party.

Replacement was going to be a crv, but I can't do it. The car has no life and drives like a shopping cart, also has no motor. Same with a rogue and a rav4. I feel like a granny in it. Didn't like the escape and I've had my fill of mazdas. I can get a great deal on a jeep cherokee 4x4 with a 6 banger and a cold weather package. Less than I paid for the tdi, but I have to travel a bit ti get it. I have harassed dealers far and near...shamelessly

Last edited by peanutgallery; 12-12-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:44 PM

Forum-please educate me on the VW diesel buyback/whatever they call it program.

My sister told me today she has one of the affected diesels. They gave her a "gift card?/credit card?" Explain to me what the limitations of this card are. Can she only use it for VW service or for purchases or cash advances of any kind? What else can you tell me about this card?

Regarding the buyback program-what are the details? Is it a scam which merely creates more sales for VW owners turning in their diesels? My sister's car is paid off, and it doesn't make sense to her to trade it in merely to create new car payments.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:07 PM

http://vwcourtsettlement.com

She doesn't have to do the buyback, but it's a significantly more than the car is worth in almost every case.

She can opt for the repair, which will give her at least $5100 and an extended warranty, assuming the repair gets approved. If it hasn't been approved by 2018, she'll have another option to take the buyback money, which will still be the value of the car in Sept 2015 plus additional money.

It's generally not a scam, but there isn't another car that is the same mix of economy and fun to drive on the market, so it's still a hard pill to swallow. That said, in almost every case, you could take the buyback money and get a car that's newer and nicer.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:26 PM

There are two cards. One is white and has VW printed on it. That is a $500 dealer card, which can be used at a VW dealer for anything that the dealer sells. Chances are it expired so she can try and call the number on the back to get the expiration date extended for $5. The other card is a blue Visa debit card, which can be used for anything. I don't know if its expiration date can be extended.

She should look long and hard at the buyback.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:00 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
Arrived 15 minutes early for my appt on Friday. Was out of there 1 minute before my scheduled appt time, 14 minutes in and out. Still waiting on my email from Chase for the EFT. Hopefully my TDI experience is over by mid week.
I have a timing question. My 'buy-back' appointment, that's the day I give the thing back, I guess..if the dealer doesn't have my replacement car then, I'm out of a car..gotta have a car. Can you delay the whole thing in order for the dealer to get/prep the car? Or is a cancel called for until I see the replacement?

And I requested a paper check..that comes to me or the dealer?
Old 12-13-2016, 06:16 AM

If you need to get a car that day I'd suggest that you get a firm date from the dealer of when your new car will be ready, then go to the claims portal and find the closet turn-in date that occurs after that date. (or same day if you have confidence in dealer and its available).

check is made out to you and given to you when you hand over the keys. I thought about the check option but my bank would put a 5 day hold on it so I went with EFT. Not sure if you could sign over the check to the dealer as payment for your new car. You should ask dealer or call VW claims. Or wait for Shovelhd to answer
Old 12-13-2016, 06:17 AM

Oh, one more snag regarding my sister's VW and the buyback program.

CT has an emissions testing program. If you fail, you have 30 days to make repairs and retest. You have to pay for the retest; I think it's ten or twenty bucks. And don't forget the late fees.

Supposedly, the VW will not pass emissions due to VW's evil program, and until they provide a fix, my sister's car will continue to fail emissions, and she'll be on the hook for the monthly retest fees. And don't try to skip the test because she'll be responsible for the late fees as well.

Is there a workaround for this? Sounds like a Catch-22 with the VW dealer having her by the ovaries to make a deal.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post

CT has an emissions testing program. If you fail, you have 30 days to make repairs and retest. You have to pay for the retest; I think it's ten or twenty bucks. And don't forget the late fees.

Supposedly, the VW will not pass emissions due to VW's evil program, and until they provide a fix, my sister's car will continue to fail emissions, and she'll be on the hook for the monthly retest fees. And don't try to skip the test because she'll be responsible for the late fees as well.

Is there a workaround for this? Sounds like a Catch-22 with the VW dealer having her by the ovaries to make a deal.
Her car will pass emissions testing. No worries on that. I live in Mass, just had to get a new inspection for my TDI.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:22 AM

I would not attempt to reschedule the appointment, you get thrown back into the asylum that just escaped. Difficult to manage and communicate once you're this far in. I remember seeing that you were working with a dealer for a GSW, how big is the gap? I'm mooching a car for a weekend and then taking the train to pick one up.

Look thru the tdi forums in the dieselgate section, there are numerous threads about this

Quote:
I have a timing question. My 'buy-back' appointment, that's the day I give the thing back, I guess..if the dealer doesn't have my replacement car then, I'm out of a car..gotta have a car. Can you delay the whole thing in order for the dealer to get/prep the car? Or is a cancel called for until I see the replacement?

Old 12-13-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post

Our cars both passed CT emissions in the last year or so, after dieselgate broke. Cheating, of course, but passed. No mods/tricks/bribes.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:

I wonder if the dealer will let you drive a courtesy car for a few days.

If it's a month or two, that's a different story. You probably have to rent or reschedule.

Tags
autoscam, boring threads