Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Ride 'yer bike.

Fit studios in the Naples Florida area???

I'm considering a change of scenery for the winter months. I love the Boston area, but as many times as I've tried to convince people that 10 degrees isn't that cold or 6" of snow is still ridable, nobody else rides here in the winter. I'm thinking Naples Florida, I have some place to live there, and I figure I can put my hill climbing skills to use (that was a joke). I would love to find a job at some fit studio or bike shop that does fittings, I have a bit of experience doing that sort of thing, but there's a catch. Most fitting places have gone to some form of electronic fitting system, using computers and complex fitting bikes and lasers... My own shop now has that and to be honest, if I applied for a job there today I doubt I would get hired. I'm a fitter who understands cycling from the rider's viewpoint. It's more a question of how the rider uses the tool (uh, we're talking about the bike here) vs. the more common fitting approach which is how to fit the tool to it's user.

Somehow I don't think Floridians are ready to fall into their pedals...
Old 09-03-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
I'm considering a change of scenery for the winter months. I love the Boston area, but as many times as I've tried to convince people that 10 degrees isn't that cold or 6" of snow is still ridable, nobody else rides here in the winter. I'm thinking Naples Florida, I have some place to live there, and I figure I can put my hill climbing skills to use (that was a joke). I would love to find a job at some fit studio or bike shop that does fittings, I have a bit of experience doing that sort of thing, but there's a catch. Most fitting places have gone to some form of electronic fitting system, using computers and complex fitting bikes and lasers... My own shop now has that and to be honest, if I applied for a job there today I doubt I would get hired. I'm a fitter who understands cycling from the rider's viewpoint. It's more a question of how the rider uses the tool (uh, we're talking about the bike here) vs. the more common fitting approach which is how to fit the tool to it's user.

There is the "Fit and Fuel Café" which is exactly like what it sounds ( a fitting studio coupled with a bistro-esque café). I believe owned and operated by the same folks that run Naples Cyclery a few doors down.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:33 AM

There are absolutely no fit studios in Florida. There are not even any bikes. You must stay in Boston for the winter. (Who the hell am I'm going to ride with if you're not here?)
Old 09-04-2015, 09:36 AM

Last I heard winter was open season for cyclists in Fla.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Screw FL! How about Austin??? I'd love to train with you for the winter and learn to fall into my pedals...

Texbike
Old 09-04-2015, 10:11 AM

I am saying this in a constructive way, but why not try to incorporate some of the latest technology into your fittings? You can still hook them up with all kinds of sensors, but use your own philosophy instead of what the computer spits out (would also be interesting to see how they compare) for the fitting. That way, the customer gets to see the fancy technology at work, but the end product is still based on your views/principles.

By the way, I spent some time riding in the Naples area, and given the bikes that showed up to the group rides, I would say that they probably wouldn't mind paying a few hundred bucks for a good fitting.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:45 AM

If you have place to stay in Naples can see why you might go there. But lots more cycling other places in Florida. Example: there are several stand alone fit businesses in the Orlando area. Though closely associated to a large cycle shop. Check out orange cycle as an example. Believe same in tampa/st Pete area. W and going N of Orlando there are hills. Plenty of short 10-15 percent climbs. (Don't laugh)

Last edited by Ralph; 09-04-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Ralph -- Riding in the Clermont area is some of the best around.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
If you have place to stay in Naples can see why you might go there. But lots more cycling other places in Florida. Example: there are several stand alone fit businesses in the Orlando area. Though closely associated to a large cycle shop. Check out orange cycle as an example. Believe same in tampa/st Pete area. W and going N of Orlando there are hills. Plenty of short 10-15 percent climbs. (Don't laugh)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Ralph -- Riding in the Clermont area is some of the best around.

both correct, that and our friend the wind
Old 09-04-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
both correct, that and our friend the wind
The Florida hill.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:10 PM

We have transparent hills too...
Old 09-04-2015, 12:26 PM

People who have only visited the resorts around SW Orlando area, and the beaches up and down the coasts, don't have a clue about riding in the interior and rest of Florida....especially the northern half of Florida.

BTW....This also holds true for misconceptions about others places in US. Been to Bar Harbor....now I know all about New England riding, ridden around Boulder, now know all about Colorado riding, etc.

Last edited by Ralph; 09-04-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I am saying this in a constructive way, but why not try to incorporate some of the latest technology into your fittings? You can still hook them up with all kinds of sensors, but use your own philosophy instead of what the computer spits out (would also be interesting to see how they compare) for the fitting. That way, the customer gets to see the fancy technology at work, but the end product is still based on your views/principles.
I've considered this every day I go to work. We have all of the high tech tools, we offer a number of levels of fittings, why not use it? It's really a question of what the customer wants. Some people want the high tech show along with being the center of attention for a few hours, but that's not how it's sold. Look at the marketing videos from Specialized, Trek, Retul... They sell it as the ultimate in performance/comfort. I'll stop a bit short of calling it a fraud, but it's kinda like using a digital caliper to measure a block of jello, there's just no point to the accuracy.

The marketing behind 3D image capture is that they can put you within 1mm of your perfect position. From what I've seen (I've been fitting for 15 years) I'm probably going to change how they pedal the bike, and a whole new learning process begins - their position is going to chance. What's the point of accurately measuring where they were at the start of this? Perhaps if the customer wanted to commit the time and money we could do the measurements every month or so to document the changes - that would make some sense to me. But that's not how they do it.

There are two types of customers who get the expensive fits. Some just want to be the center of attention for a few hours while the fitter explains things about their body with the assistance of computers and lasers and red and green numbers. Some buy into the idea that it's about performance. At some point those people may start feeling that they were sold a load of BS. I have a problem with that, if I'm going to take money from a customer I need to know that I've given them something of value to them.

The way I see it, all the high tech fitting tools are sales aids - something to show the customer that they're really not going to understand, so they know they want it. My goal isn't to sell the customer as much as I can, it's to produce a good rider. If you sell someone a load of BS, they'll never be back. If you make them a good cyclist, they'll be back to buy bikes, clothing, parts, tires... They'll bring in their friends and family too. I wouldn't be hired as a fitter today because I don't use the high tech sales aids - er, I mean tools, but I still have a job because I have customer loyalty.

But don't take my word for it, let's put it to the test. Let's take two people of similar ability on the bike. One gets the 4 hour high tech fitting, the other spends the same amount in coaching (two trainer sessions, two outdoor sessions). Anyone in a betting mood???
Old 09-04-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I've considered this every day I go to work. We have all of the high tech tools, we offer a number of levels of fittings, why not use it? It's really a question of what the customer wants. Some people want the high tech show along with being the center of attention for a few hours, but that's not how it's sold. Look at the marketing videos from Specialized, Trek, Retul... They sell it as the ultimate in performance/comfort. I'll stop a bit short of calling it a fraud, but it's kinda like using a digital caliper to measure a block of jello, there's just no point to the accuracy.

The marketing behind 3D image capture is that they can put you within 1mm of your perfect position. From what I've seen (I've been fitting for 15 years) I'm probably going to change how they pedal the bike, and a whole new learning process begins - their position is going to chance. What's the point of accurately measuring where they were at the start of this? Perhaps if the customer wanted to commit the time and money we could do the measurements every month or so to document the changes - that would make some sense to me. But that's not how they do it.

There are two types of customers who get the expensive fits. Some just want to be the center of attention for a few hours while the fitter explains things about their body with the assistance of computers and lasers and red and green numbers. Some buy into the idea that it's about performance. At some point those people may start feeling that they were sold a load of BS. I have a problem with that, if I'm going to take money from a customer I need to know that I've given them something of value to them.

The way I see it, all the high tech fitting tools are sales aids - something to show the customer that they're really not going to understand, so they know they want it. My goal isn't to sell the customer as much as I can, it's to produce a good rider. If you sell someone a load of BS, they'll never be back. If you make them a good cyclist, they'll be back to buy bikes, clothing, parts, tires... They'll bring in their friends and family too. I wouldn't be hired as a fitter today because I don't use the high tech sales aids - er, I mean tools, but I still have a job because I have customer loyalty.

But don't take my word for it, let's put it to the test. Let's take two people of similar ability on the bike. One gets the 4 hour high tech fitting, the other spends the same amount in coaching (two trainer sessions, two outdoor sessions). Anyone in a betting mood???
I don't get this. The two fittings I have had have involved some form of tech/motion capture as part of the fit, but those were used as visual aids for the fitter and to help show me aspects of my fit and pedal stroke that could be changed. So for example, they can show me how having my saddle too high impacts my pedal stroke. The fitter used that data coupled with their experience and my feedback (my preferences, type of riding, flexibility, etc.) to arrive at a position. Neither of the fitters I went to just stuck with what the computer said.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Thomas Merton once said that the only way to live out the full consciousness of your convictions is to become a monk (which, he, of course, did). Very few of us can do that. The alternative is to make some strategic compromises that you can live with. What compromises, if any, are you willing to make?