Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2014, 07:46 PM

Anyone avoiding discs for road/gravel?

Physics tells us that disc brakes should be weaker than rim brakes, if the materials being used were the same. And it's actually true. What's different is the degree of modulation available (in a trade-off with raw force), the ability to use harder / less compressible materials, and smaller loss of friction in wet conditions that disc brakes allow, by decoupling the braking function from the other functions of the rim.

Bicycling.com, of all places, has a decent layman explanation:

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/...ad-disc-brakes

What's also counter-intuitive, is that spongy feeling brakes usually mean you've got better modulation, all things being equal, than more "snappy" feeling brakes. But our perception of control and modulation sides with psychology more than mechanics.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:01 PM
aka RAEKWON

Its always interesting to ride my non disc brake bikes after I ride my one bike with disc. Definitely feels like there is not enough braking power but after a few hours I get used to it and all is fine. I really think its a matter of adaptation, how comfortable you are with braking in what time. I am a big guy so its nice to have the disc brakes but never felt rim brakes were inadequate.

There is no question at all, disc brakes brake faster and stronger... they are not needed but they are pretty amazing. It is also nice that you wont have to go through rims and can just replace the disc. Also clearance is not affected at all by the brake.

I dont think rim brake road bikes are going anywhere personally and I am cool with both. For now I will keep my rim brake road bikes and my disc brake bike is a fatter tire bike.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:33 PM

My next bike will have hydros. Cantis take too much time to adjust to get them working right.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:27 AM
Lost at sea...

Location: East of Pittsburgh (but I left my heart in Seattle)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
My next bike will have hydros. Cantis take too much time to adjust to get them working right.
This is true for any brake system, including hydros. Make sure you get a decent set... I was told to get XT or better next time, I've had awful luck with a few lower level options.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Guess you have never bled wet brakes then?
Old 12-20-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Guess you have never bled wet brakes then?
Bike shop would do that. But you don't really need to do that all that often.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
My concern with disks is what do you do if you get a brake failure out in east nowhere out of cell range. With caliper brakes if you have spare cables/pads you can fix nearly anything. Disks I'm just not sure about, certainly hydros, but malfunctioning mechanicals might not be a picnic I'd want an invite to either. A buddy who owns a shop nearby and who is a great wrench, has promised to give me a demo on how to field strip/repair them some time this winter. It may change my opinion. Till then I'm not convinced...
Are you riding with spare cables and pads in your jersey?
Old 12-20-2014, 08:46 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio_B View Post
Are you riding with spare cables and pads in your jersey?
Ha, I was going to post the same thing. Unless I'm going on a multi-day tour, spare cables/pads stay home. If I'm headed somewhere with no cell reception, a thorough inspection before heading out is pretty much all I do.

By the way, lucky for me, never had a brake failure yet, regardless of system.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Bike shop would do that. But you don't really need to do that all that often.
Nor adjust cantis once set up. In the shop, $35 to bleed, Canti adjust, $10. Huge drawer of fittings, hose, fluids, etc. Wall of disc brake pads.

Some 'cost' for wet discs.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Administrator

no interest in disks for me for two main reasons:

1) no need - canti's work fine for me and i have never wanted for more stopping power

2) the biggie, i have a ton of wheels, and i like the interchangeability, i like the idea of being able to run any of my wheels on any of my bikes.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:35 AM

still rim brake here! I am waiting for the wheelset standard to stabilize & widespread electric hydro before making the switch.

that said i would ride a bike with cable disc and mechanical shifting if it was on offer.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:44 AM

I guess I should add that I own 2 bikes with rim brakes (road and cx) and two bikes with disc (cx and mtn). The disc cx bike is a commuter, so it only sees road miles. I'm not opposed to nor prefer either system. Just learn how to set up disc brakes properly and you'll be fine. You will survive the transition and you will be able to stop. I promise.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Nor adjust cantis once set up. In the shop, $35 to bleed, Canti adjust, $10. Huge drawer of fittings, hose, fluids, etc. Wall of disc brake pads.

Some 'cost' for wet discs.
I just paid a shop $40 to bleed the Juicy 5s on my son't mountain bike, and they failed in the 1st of 2 laps of his first mountain bike race ever.

Not a fan of "cheap" hydros (Juicys seem to be crappy, IMHO). XTs and Hope have been superb on my mountain bikes. Both are very easy to bleed as well, and bleeding only very rarely has to be done.

I initially hated BB7s, but after figuring out the simple adjustment, and using good cable housing, they almost feel as good as hydros.

I'm firmly in the "DISC BRAKE FAN CLUB" for cross bikes (and, of course, mountain bikes). But I don't race and I like riding my cross bike on trails. And I'm weird.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:32 AM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
2) the biggie, i have a ton of wheels, and i like the interchangeability, i like the idea of being able to run any of my wheels on any of my bikes.
Haven't dipped your toes in 11 speed then, eh?
Old 12-20-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post
Haven't dipped your toes in 11 speed then, eh?
11spd doesnt pose any compatability issues for Campagnolo users.