Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2013, 10:20 AM

Greasing UT BBs?

Old Potatoe recommends liberally greasing not only the threads but also inside the cups of UT bottom brackets, yes? I found one thread that seems to indicate as much, but it's not as crystal clear as I'd like. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:23 AM

I do. Grease can't hurt.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
Old Potatoe recommends liberally greasing not only the threads but also inside the cups of UT bottom brackets, yes? I found one thread that seems to indicate as much, but it's not as crystal clear as I'd like. Thanks.
There should be enough grease in there that the cups don't creak from touching the bearings, but not too much grease that it collects inside the cups and ruins the bearings since there is a small gap.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:16 AM

Always grease a lot everywhere with UT. In the threads I put grease and teflon tape and crank the crap out of them.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaris View Post
There should be enough grease in there that the cups don't creak from touching the bearings, but not too much grease that it collects inside the cups and ruins the bearings since there is a small gap.
I don't understand this post at all..."collects in the cups and ruins the bearings"...how is it ruining the bearings?
Old 04-26-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescuefin View Post
I don't understand this post at all..."collects in the cups and ruins the bearings"...how is it ruining the bearings?
I don't understand that quote either. To the OP, I'm not worried about water intrusion (i.e. down the seattube) with my particular frame, so I only grease the contact area of the cup and the bearing to prevent squeaks. That's working fine for me on my installs.

If you do eventually get squeaking, google "roguemechanic" and the shims that he makes for UT BBs. But I'd say not to bother with buying/installing this unless you develop a squeak and think it's the crank axle/bearings shifting side-to-side during pedaling.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:38 AM

Grease it all. Don't forget the UT bolt either. That's another common creak point.

I will also be OCD and grease the gaps in the UT teeth to eliminate creaking too.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds108 View Post
I don't understand that quote either. To the OP, I'm not worried about water intrusion (i.e. down the seattube) with my particular frame, so I only grease the contact area of the cup and the bearing to prevent squeaks. That's working fine for me on my installs.

If you do eventually get squeaking, google "roguemechanic" and the shims that he makes for UT BBs. But I'd say not to bother with buying/installing this unless you develop a squeak and think it's the crank axle/bearings shifting side-to-side during pedaling.
do not google the roquemechanic. the slight spring-loaded play from the wavy washer is by design and is not what can make a UT BB creak. the only way a UT crank will creak is if the BB isn't square, the BB threads are shot, or you didn't use grease. If your BB is narrower than Campy's spec, THEN you need a shim.

Last edited by cfox; 04-26-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Grease it all. Don't forget the UT bolt either. That's another common creak point.

I will also be OCD and grease the gaps in the UT teeth to eliminate creaking too.
Yeah, I grease the Hirth bolt (or whatever it's called) and the teeth. I only tripped myself up about the cups themselves, because I had some dim memory that grease can be a problem for the bearings. That said, I was pretty sure Old Potatoe uses grease on his builds, which is good enough for me. Still, I wanted to check.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:23 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
'liberally greasing not only the threads but also inside the cups....." seems pretty clear to me.

Grease is never a problem with bearings, ever. Not sure what jamaris is talking about.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 04-26-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:31 PM

Thanks, Peter. As ever, much appreciated. Turning to the issue of clarity, you know how the signal-to-noise ratio can be in some threads. Plus, I'm an idiot. Anyway, thanks again.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds108 View Post
If you do eventually get squeaking, google "roguemechanic" and the shims that he makes for UT BBs.
Don't bother. It is very obvious rougemechanic doesn't understand how the ultra torque system works. I wouldn't let him, or his ideas, anywhere near my bike.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Thanks, Peter. As ever, much appreciated. Turning to the issue of clarity, you know how the signal-to-noise ratio can be in some threads. Plus, I'm an idiot. Anyway, thanks again.
No stupid questions, just stupid answers sometimes.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Don't bother. It is very obvious rougemechanic doesn't understand how the ultra torque system works. I wouldn't let him, or his ideas, anywhere near my bike.
10-4 on that.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:22 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfox View Post
do not google the roquemechanic. the slight spring-loaded play from the wavy washer is by design and is not what can make a UT BB creak. the only way a UT crank will creak is if the BB isn't square, the BB threads are shot, or you didn't use grease. If your BB is narrower than Campy's spec, THEN you need a shim.
Not true. The clicking is real and can and does happen when the faces are perfectly parallel. I can attest to this. My BB is perfectly square/parallel and the threads were also perfectly cut, yet I had the clicking. The width of the shell was a bit undersized. The newer cups seem to have changed design and eliminated the clicking that rougemechanic talks about. When I put a new set of cups on I did not need the extra wavy washer. An extra wavy washer or shims was the only cure for shells that were a bit under width with the older cups to solve the clicking issue.

Last edited by Black Dog; 04-27-2013 at 09:27 AM.