Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2024, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I think it would be helpful to know how much more low gearing you think you need beyond your current 34/27. If just a 30 or 32 in the rear will be enough then a longer RD cage and a new cassette should serve. If you think those are ok for now but you'll need more in the future, then a new crankset (in combination with these changes) makes the most sense.

If you want to keep the Campy look then the Chorus 12 48/32 crankset is the right choice, and they're available in 165 (as Mark already pointed out above). Praxis is also a good alternative unless your BB is ITA (not impossible but a royal PITA, involves buying one of several ITA BBs and swapping one of the bearings). If you think you'll need more, then a 46/30 like the White Industries (or one of those Suginos?) is probably a better choice.

I used a Praxis Zayante carbon 48/32 crankset on my Ottrott with pre-2015 SR shift group (short RD cage, 11-29 cassette) and it worked great. I do a lot of climbing, including quite steep stuff, and even if I couldn't really spin the 32/29 on the steepest stuff, it was adequate. Having the additional 32 in the back on my current Chorus 12 setup makes things a bit better when my legs are tired.
I'd like something on the order of 34 chainring & 34 or 36 cassette - call it a 27 gear inch. Last year I used a 28/28 on my CSI for a hilly century, and it was OK, but I kept looking for that 'other' gear! Two factors: I'm 73, and still recovering from a car/bike accident last fall (broken pelvis). Normally I do a lot of miles each year (for me, that is) averaging 4,500 each year over the past 12 years, so am normally in relatively good shape. I'm getting back slowly but surely.

I can use another ring set, like you mentioned. I've got a couple SA or Sugino cranks with lower rings, but I'd like to stay with Campy - but not a must. My Campy triple is on the CSI this year, running a 24/30 for a gear inch of 21.