Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2024, 01:03 PM

ISO: randonneur frame recommendations -

Looking to build a 650b randonneur rig. I feel like most bikes are custom or conversions. Heavy preference to Canadian or American vintage frame to look out for or simply interesting collectable frames. The Bridgestone XO-1 seems like a great candidate, albeit a hard to find one.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:11 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmans View Post
Looking to build a 650b randonneur rig. I feel like most bikes are custom or conversions. Heavy preference to Canadian or American vintage frame to look out for or simply interesting collectable frames. The Bridgestone XO-1 seems like a great candidate, albeit a hard to find one.

so you didn't mention budget, but from your post I assume you are wanting to stay low on the budget side.. the first thing that pops in my head would be an older Trek 520.. or maybe a Miyata of some variation?

BUT, I know you can get a full custom Fitz Cycles built for right at $2k.. which seems like a crazy good price for what you get.. and he is kind of know for steel/rando bikes..
Old 02-23-2024, 01:39 PM

The 650b Google Group has a Fitz for sale on there right now, with custom front rack and integrated wiring. Might have been posted on the PL too, can't remember.

Last edited by tellyho; 02-23-2024 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:02 PM

Boulder Bikes (Mike Kone) had some lovely rando frames made by Waterford but they almost never turn up used, ditto for Boxdog, a nice San Francisco shop. And I think Soma did a rando frame a while back; they still do, but it’s set up for discs. If that doesn’t’ bother you, check it out. The Trek 520 is more of a loaded touring heavy duty beast than a rando bike.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:08 PM
Meh

Crust Lightning Bolt to thread
Old 02-23-2024, 02:12 PM

X0-1 is a 26" wheeled bike, FWIW.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
The 650b Google Group has a Fitz for sale on there right now, with custom front rack and integrated wiring. Might have been posted on the PL too, can't remember.
And my size as well.

The picture in my head is rim brake. But this bike is beautiful and the price is enticing.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:54 PM

Ha. I owned that Fitz linked above. John built it for himself but found it a little stiff for his weight. I inquired about having him build a frame for me and since that frame sounded a lot like what I described he offered to send it to me and let me try it out. I rode it a while, but it was too short and I wanted some different features and some slight geo differences so I sent it back and he started building a frame for me.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:03 PM

I had a Soma Grand Randonneur for a while. Taiwanese Tange Prestige rode very well and would suit those who believe the theory of planing. Discontinued for years but occasionally surface in the used market. I sold mine because it was a shade too small and pedestrian by comparison to what I’m used to.

I’ve been looking for a 650b Jeff Lyon L’Avecaise since reading Bicycle Quarterly’s review a few years ago, but I have yet to see one in any size for resale anywhere…
Old 02-23-2024, 06:10 PM

https://bikerecyclery.com/road-forks/ You could build it around the Lyon 700c fork that is still for sale.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:52 PM

Budget be damned get one of these...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 6.51.18 PM.jpg (82.5 KB, 264 views)
Old 02-23-2024, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Budget be damned get one of these...
I inquired with Brian about getting one a few months ago, and it didn’t seem like one could even get on a waitlist too easily. Perhaps Brian was somewhat selective? Which I get — some customers can be more trouble to deal with than they’re worth, and I’m sure he’s got enough repeat business or referrals. Perhaps also this has changed more recently?

If you’re going to splurge, I’d recommend Ebisu from Hiroshi Iimura at Jitensha. It’s not as inexpensive as it used to be, but IME they are done right down to the tiniest details. I’ve two - they’re just great. My next bike is going to be quite different, I think, so I’m gonna go with a different builder.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:35 PM

For converting an older bike, check out this recent thread on the 650B list:

https://groups.google.com/g/650b/c/SJpTauWet4s
Old 02-26-2024, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
For converting an older bike, check out this recent thread on the 650B list:

https://groups.google.com/g/650b/c/SJpTauWet4s
This link had me going down the rabbit hole on Fuji Finest framesets, which one poster says fits 650Bx42 with no crimping. When I was looking to upgrade my Peugeot U08 in late 1971, I went with Sheldon Brown to look at and ride what I think was the first Fuji Finest to be imported to the US when Fuji America was formed. It was amusing that the Finest was not the tiptop of the line, that was called the Newest! I recall being very impressed by the Finest, but at the time I could get a custom Bob Jackson built for the same cost and went in that direction instead.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
I inquired with Brian about getting one a few months ago, and it didn’t seem like one could even get on a waitlist too easily. Perhaps Brian was somewhat selective? Which I get — some customers can be more trouble to deal with than they’re worth, and I’m sure he’s got enough repeat business or referrals. Perhaps also this has changed more recently?

If you’re going to splurge, I’d recommend Ebisu from Hiroshi Iimura at Jitensha. It’s not as inexpensive as it used to be, but IME they are done right down to the tiniest details. I’ve two - they’re just great. My next bike is going to be quite different, I think, so I’m gonna go with a different builder.
I don't have any knowledge of Brian's biz I just love his bikes is all.