Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2023, 06:30 AM
Boeuf Chane

Looking for a gym that matches your high opinion of yourself? Try one of these...

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/25/s...smid=url-share

(NYT gift link)

"At Ghost, which opened in Williamsburg in 2019, members are accepted if they are “thought leaders, creatives, founders or executives,” said Aqib Mamoon, the gym’s chief executive and founder, though he added that his “wellness destination” is not exclusive to any profession. Memberships, which cost up to $300 a month, are limited and require an application, an in-person interview and an internal review process."

You'd think that in spite of the name they could at least afford a bit more lighting...

Last edited by Louis; 03-25-2023 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-25-2023, 06:37 AM

that's weird. i guess they're blatant about it vs just pricing people out of the market..?
Old 03-25-2023, 06:49 AM

Not a place I'd want to hang, even if I could afford it.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:15 AM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowpicker View Post
Not a place I'd want to hang, even if I could afford it.
I think I'll settle for the free gym at work...
Old 03-25-2023, 07:53 AM

Makes me wonder why people go to gyms. How much social interaction goes in in these places. Maybe the training is secondary. I do not go to gyms, so what do I know? Out of touch.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:23 AM

I go to my local Planet Fitness 2-3 times a week. it's part of my life. I'm retired and have the time. Light weight lifting, tread mill, elliptical, and other cardio.....for days I don't ride my bike. I try to do something physical at least 6 times per week. Helps keep my BP down. It's a large place, with about every machine you could want plus free weights. It's included in my Health Insurance benefits. Can go any time I want. Have been going to this same place over 20 years. Wouldn't say it's a social club, at least not for me, but have made many friends there. I enjoy going. It meets my opinion of myself. Nothing fancy, just a place to work out.

Last edited by Ralph; 03-25-2023 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:30 AM

No soup for you!

I would not patronize an establishment that expects you to feel privileged to be spending your money there.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:06 AM

I just climbed onto Medicare, and the plan & company I signed up for pays for my Health Club membership (a nice $480/yr bonus to use for bike parts). Unfortunately, not the one I currently go to, but I have several options just a few extra (5) minutes farther than my current one.
I'm going to go back and check, but I don't remember seeing this one on the list...
Old 05-18-2024, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I go to my local Planet Fitness 2-3 times a week. it's part of my life. I'm retired and have the time. Light weight lifting, tread mill, elliptical, and other cardio.....for days I don't ride my bike. I try to do something physical at least 6 times per week. Helps keep my BP down. It's a large place, with about every machine you could want plus free weights. It's included in my Health Insurance benefits. Can go any time I want. Have been going to this same place over 20 years. Wouldn't say it's a social club, at least not for me, but have made many friends there. I enjoy going. It meets my opinion of myself. Nothing fancy, just a place to work out.
^^this. PF is $10/mo and the weights weigh exactly the same
Old 05-18-2024, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrik4 View Post
^^this. PF is $10/mo and the weights weigh exactly the same
They are raising rates
They insist on having access to your checking account (can't pay with a CC)
If you have Medicare, chances are you can find a plan that pays your fees at several different gyms (including PF)
The one I was in had a bowl of tootsie rolls at the counter.
Whatever you do, don't push yourself and grunt when you lift.
Absolutely nothing in it said "We're as serious as you are about this"
Or, maybe it did, and I was too serious for the place.
Old 05-18-2024, 11:56 AM

Meanwhile, in the parking lot for $0 US...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg christian-tire-flip-1024x682.jpg (85.9 KB, 100 views)
Sampson
HotTubes
LtSpeed
SpeshFat
Old 05-18-2024, 11:59 AM

And of course, if you want a truly exclusive experience, there's nothing like November Project.

Hundreds of scheduled meet ups, two to three times a week, all around the world.

No cost for membership, anyone can join. You just have to want to support others in having a great experience.

Photo below is of the Harvard Stadium group, which meets at 6:32, or 5:32 on Wednesday mornings and runs stadium sections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NP-Summit-2017-BOSTON-Friday-AM-Workout.jpg (116.1 KB, 100 views)
Sampson
HotTubes
LtSpeed
SpeshFat
Old 05-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Sunshine

Unpopular opinion time, at least based on the overwhelming group opinion in this thread...

- whatever works for someone to get exercise, be healthy, meet personal wellness goals, etc- I am good with.

At my old job I had a longtime co-worker friend that was in my team and multiple times a year he declared he was going to do this or that to 'get in shape'. It became a running joke - he would declare something big and then not follow thru.
He was gonna lose 20#.
He was gonna complete an ironman.
He was gonna stop drinking pop and eating fast food.
He was gonna join a gym.
He was gonna join a crossfit.

I, and others, would be jokingly dismissive and say 'whatever, you wont do that'.
Thing was, he wasn't obese or anything like that- just a typical busy husband and father.

Anyways, one day I was telling my wife about his latest claim and she looked at me and said 'don't be a dick'. I was like...what now? She helped me see that the fact that he didn't give up and instead he kept trying to find something that worked for him was better than probably 85% of adults, and I should support him for that persistence.

Well, that was a humbling change in perspective. And I gotta say- it's true. At this point, I think it's just cool to see what people are trying in order to keep health, wellbeing, and fitness in their lives.
If someone can stay strong and healthy by flipping tractor tires for free- awesome.
If someone can stay strong and healthy by riding a 10 year old bike 3x per week and going to an inexpensive 24hr unmanned gym 3x per week- awesome.
And if someone has found they need an expensive luxury gym in order to meet their goals, and they can afford it- awesome.

It's clear that everyone has their own way of being motivated in exercise and overall health.
Those who haven't yet found what works best for them shouldn't be discouraged from trying things that I or others view as wasteful. And those who have found what works best for them and implement it aren't who I view as worth ripping on.
Old 05-18-2024, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
And of course, if you want a truly exclusive experience, there's nothing like November Project.

Hundreds of scheduled meet ups, two to three times a week, all around the world.

No cost for membership, anyone can join. You just have to want to support others in having a great experience.

Photo below is of the Harvard Stadium group, which meets at 6:32, or 5:32 on Wednesday mornings and runs stadium sections.
Never heard of this. Way too early for me, but if I was a morning person (and could run, anymore, since most of the ones I looked up involved running) I'd give this a go
Old 05-18-2024, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Never heard of this. Way too early for me, but if I was a morning person (and could run, anymore, since most of the ones I looked up involved running) I'd give this a go
Yes, mostly running centric.

I joined the Manhattan group for a while when I was on business trips. We'd meet near Gracie Mansion by the river at 6:28, exercise for an hour. I'd get back to my hotel, shower and be at the office as others were standing in line at Starbucks for their morning wake up.
Sampson
HotTubes
LtSpeed
SpeshFat

Tags
conspicuous consumption, veblen goods