Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 07:25 PM

Campy Potenza...Anyone tried it??

Anyone with hands on experience with the new Campy Potenza line??

I'm building up a gravel bike and planning to use Chorus. I know rear derailleurs can take some abuse with sticks, rocks and mud on gravel so I'm wondering if the Potenza rear derailleur might be tougher than the carbon models.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:11 PM

I put a potenza crankset in my kid's bike and so far so good. Really well built.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommasini53 View Post
Anyone with hands on experience with the new Campy Potenza line??

I'm building up a gravel bike and planning to use Chorus. I know rear derailleurs can take some abuse with sticks, rocks and mud on gravel so I'm wondering if the Potenza rear derailleur might be tougher than the carbon models.
Carbon does not lack toughness. Don't avoid carbon because you think it might not be up to the task.

I can't comment on Potenza or Campagnolo 11-speed for that matter. But my carbon 10-speed stuff has been outstandingly durable and tough. Frankly, the aluminum pivots and metal contacts wear out quicker.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:20 PM

I'm going to commit sacrilege here, I have four road bikes with Campy from early 00's ten speed to the latest Chorus 11. I've got a new custom gravel bike and it has shimaNo components that work so well. R685 shifters, 8000 derailleurs, 785 calipers, it's just to smooth and precise. The 8000 (and 9100) front derailleur is awesome, campy should take some notes.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I'm going to commit sacrilege here, I have four road bikes with Campy from early 00's ten speed to the latest Chorus 11. I've got a new custom gravel bike and it has shimaNo components that work so well. R685 shifters, 8000 derailleurs, 785 calipers, it's just to smooth and precise. The 8000 (and 9100) front derailleur is awesome, campy should take some notes.
If you like it, use it. It's not sacrilege. I had a big Shimano eye-opening about four years ago. I really like riding with it. As you say, it's smooth and precise and very high quality.

Campagnolo should definitely be taking notes.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:55 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I think they did, 2015+ campy fd is fantastic as well.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I think they did, 2015+ campy fd is fantastic as well.
It is and w/o the complexity of the latest(and very well working) 9100 and 8000 front ders. In addition, as nice as 8000 and 9100 is, it's a shame they are making cranks that aren't compatible with earlier chainrings..when a 6800 or 9000 CR is gone, it's a shame to have to swap the crank to 'replace' a chainring. IMHO, of course.

BTW-Vecchio's has a demo bike with Potenza..really excellent stuff for not a lot of $..
Old 09-16-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
it's a shame they are making cranks that aren't compatible with earlier chainrings..when a 6800 or 9000 CR is gone, it's a shame to have to swap the crank to 'replace' a chainring.
It is difficult to imagine a scenario where someone would replace just the crankset. Adding a power meter, maybe?

6800/9000 parts will be available for a long time. The new cranks are a clear improvement with chain line; well worth upgrading the derailleurs if you have shorter stays and don’t run a standard up front.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
... In addition, as nice as 8000 and 9100 is, it's a shame they are making cranks that aren't compatible with earlier chainrings..when a 6800 or 9000 CR is gone, it's a shame to have to swap the crank to 'replace' a chainring...
Shimano may say the chainrings aren't combaptble, but do we know this for a fact? Campy, after all, swears up and down that a lot of its products aren't cross compatible, but this isn't always true.

With the 9000 vs 9100 chainrings, for example, is the extra .5mm occurring on the chainring, or on the spider? If its the spider and the chainrings are the same thickness, then they could well be compatible. Or add a .5mm spacer and they're compatible. Or you can just run the wrong chainrings, and it's still within the adjustment range of your FD?

Again, have you personally inspected a 9000 vs 9100 series crankset and verified that it won't work? Or do you just expect this based on your experience with Shimano? If the latter, how much experience with the latest two generations of Shimano have you had?

Mind you, I'm not saying I know. I'm still on 10s Campy. I'm just asking.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:17 AM

I'm currently running Potenza on my L'eroica bike, with down-tube shifters.

Works perfectly.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
Shimano may say the chainrings aren't combaptble, but do we know this for a fact? Campy, after all, swears up and down that a lot of its products aren't cross compatible, but this isn't always true.

With the 9000 vs 9100 chainrings, for example, is the extra .5mm occurring on the chainring, or on the spider? If its the spider and the chainrings are the same thickness, then they could well be compatible. Or add a .5mm spacer and they're compatible. Or you can just run the wrong chainrings, and it's still within the adjustment range of your FD?

Again, have you personally inspected a 9000 vs 9100 series crankset and verified that it won't work? Or do you just expect this based on your experience with Shimano? If the latter, how much experience with the latest two generations of Shimano have you had?

Mind you, I'm not saying I know. I'm still on 10s Campy. I'm just asking.
Quote:
Cranks
The new cranks incorporate the same hollow-forged aluminum asymmetrical four-arm design as its predecessor. However, the new crank is slightly lighter (621 vs 629 grams) with no stiffness loss. The spider arms are wider than before, so chainrings are not cross-compatible between the 9000 and 9100 cranks.
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...dura-ace-r9100
Old 09-17-2017, 07:34 PM

Campy wide gearing

"Should be noted that you can install a Potenza longer cage on SR/Record/Chorus rear ders also..

Page 19

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/fil...017_part_A.pdf

AND medium cage rear ders for SR/Record/Chorus as well..for 2018."

If I put Potenza cage on my Campy Chorus 11 mech RD with Campy Chorus shifters, can i run the 11-32 11 speed casette without interference between RD and cassette? You guys are the best, Old Potatoes are my favorite.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:01 AM

A friend rides Potenza with Chorus levers (latter for better feel), been about a year. Seems to be doing well. Wide range cassette in back (I don't recall exact numbers).
Old 09-18-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurphey View Post
"Should be noted that you can install a Potenza longer cage on SR/Record/Chorus rear ders also..

Page 19

AND medium cage rear ders for SR/Record/Chorus as well..for 2018."

If I put Potenza cage on my Campy Chorus 11 mech RD with Campy Chorus shifters, can i run the 11-32 11 speed casette without interference between RD and cassette? You guys are the best, Old Potatoes are my favorite.
I get a 404 error on that link. Is it correct?
Old 09-19-2017, 10:29 PM