Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

Do you know what frame I need? Well, do ya?

I've got to scratch that ITCH !

Background/rules:
- Used frames only, no new custom. No.
- I like steel/Ti bikes for riding, not collecting. Carbon/alu = nope (although may make exception for part steel/Ti+Carbon tubes/stays, like my Legend ST).
- Never even heard of a paceline or racing, I ride alone and for exercise, averaging 4,500 miles a year. I don't race, I don't race, I don't...
- Comfort comes a bit before performance, and bikes are set up with modern drivetrains (Shimano/Campy 10&11 speed). Brooks B17 for sure.
- Tires...have to clear 30mm rear (nope 28 won't do) and 32mm front (I can swap forks around to get front clearance)
- Ride quality... I like springy steel feeling, definitely not "stiff", and I don't care if the BB does a dance. My FTP is somewhere south of 3 watts.
- Geometry... Relaxed, not twitchy racing style. I set my HBars up relatively high, as riding in drops is the Devil's own torture. Slammed stem - What the heck is that?
- I weigh in at a sleek 200 lbs, yeh trying to lose that fat after coming back from injuries, 5'9", and am a b-i-t over 70 years in age, but very active, and yes I like hills.
- I do all my own fixin', including wheel building.

Some bikes I'm familiar with:
Serotta CSI, my favorite bike so far!
Serotta Legend ST, really trying to make this as comfy as the CSI, getting close, and taking it on a century next Sunday.
Serotta Councours Ti, although I sold it as it was a tad too small, I liked the ride.
Cinelli/Centurion, call it a typical Italian bike, and though I liked it for fast rides, not an all day bike, and geometry a bit too racy.
1986 Kawamura NIshiki Prestige..Nice ride, a touch heavy.

Some bikes I'm casually considering:
- Ritchy Road Logic, although not sure of old vs new frame specs
- Gaulzetti Cazzo (yes I know what cazzo means in Italian)
- Another Serrotta, like Fierte, Ottrott, other?
- What's missing off my list and why??? Edercate me - Gimme ride characteristics n stuff.

Ready? Go!
Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM

Fierte steel, ti, or IT would be nice. A Merckx Corsa Uno would also be very very nice. I'd skip the Gaulzetti option. A steel Tom Kellogg Spectrum would be really good, too. You might have trouble with 32 tires on some of those. 30mm, probably OK, but could also be tight. I have 30 Pirelli tires on the Corsa Uno right now.

Last edited by tv_vt; Yesterday at 12:58 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM

How did you fit 28/30 mm tires in those Serotta bikes or is the desire to fit tires that big the reason you are looking for a new bike?
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM
what's a little rust?

Black Mountain Cycles Road (not the Road Plus, but the 700c version) and Gunnar Sport perhaps ...
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM

I had a Waterford RS-11 and one of those or an RS-22 or Gunnar RS might make you happy.
Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

It sounds like you're looking for a Hampsten Strada Bianca, or many of his road creations which usually will take a 28 or 30 under standard calipers. Same for a lot of Dave Kirk's bikes, an MRB would likely be perfect for you.

The Ritchey Road Logic post 2016 or so is likely the only production frame in the mix.

Are you only looking for rim brake frames or are you game for disc?
Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

Many Rivendell models could work. I think my Rambouillet (or a similar Romulus) meets all your requirements.

Last edited by Ken Robb; Yesterday at 01:59 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

Older soma smoothie might fit the bill. They had pretty relaxed geometry, especially the ES models, and the name accurately conveys the ride feel

I might avoid the ritchey road logic, as the geo is on the racier side, long and low
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

Pursuit Allroad
Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Add an all city Mr Pink to the list.
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
How did you fit 28/30 mm tires in those Serotta bikes or is the desire to fit tires that big the reason you are looking for a new bike?
I've got 30mm rear/32mm front on my CSI w no problem. 32mm rear m-a-y be a possibility, but not worried about it.

Ditto 30/32mm on the Legend, and I probably can get a 32mm rear on it (brake clearance is an issue, and am looking for a black Orange Velo Cru long reach brake set). I did get another fork to comfortably fit 32mm front, as the original F3 hosted a 30mm with scary clearance.

Prefer rim brake, but would consider disc.

Last edited by Flinch; Yesterday at 02:15 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM

I know the rule says no custom. But seriously, have you looked at the prices of RockLobster frames? They are very affordable. And with the information you provided, you know exactly what you want.
Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

I'd be looking for vintage frames from steel builders. Davidson, etc.
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM

Picked up here on forum an IF with canti's, low BB 42 stays 853 tubing. What a find, my friend is overjoyed.

Sure you can find something nice.

Seven evergreen could be nice
Old Today, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
I've got 30mm rear/32mm front on my CSI w no problem. 32mm rear m-a-y be a possibility, but not worried about it.

Ditto 30/32mm on the Legend, and I probably can get a 32mm rear on it (brake clearance is an issue, and am looking for a black Orange Velo Cru long reach brake set). I did get another fork to comfortably fit 32mm front, as the original F3 hosted a 30mm with scary clearance.

Prefer rim brake, but would consider disc.
That's interesting because I can't fit anything bigger than a 25 on my Legend, mine is 04-06' range so maybe later ones had a bit more clearance. 28s will go on, but have only a couple thousandths clearance. Luckily it rides nice enough with 25s.