Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM

Need opinion on Serotta Colorado Legend CR

there's one for sale on ebay that im eyeballing but i kind of want to make sure it has the high praises of this forum. it seems like it's a nicer model with some good frame details (shaped tubes and whatnot?) based on what i read online.

i have a Gazelle in Reynolds 531 that I want the Serotta to replace. The Gazelle rides really nice and light and zippy. Not particularly stiff but makes up for it in the sensation of light and snappy. I am hoping that the Legend Colorado CR is going to be in the same vein and feel like a very positive, easy to pedal frame for longer days.

as a little background, the Gazelle is great but I wish it were like 2cm taller in the seat tube and headtube. It fits me kind of aggressively. I want this steel lugged vintage bike to complement my carbon bike as more of an endurance/longer slower ride type bike. so the Serotta i'm eyeballing is a 58cm whereas the Gazelle is a 55.5cm.

would love your thoughts on the Colorado Legend CR!

thanks!

-Adam
Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM

Thumbs up Go for it!

I say without hesitation that if the frame would fit you well, you should buy it. You would not be disappointed in the ride quality. I currently have a '93 Colorado CRL (picked up the frameset on the auction site earlier this year) as my one lugged, level top tube, steel fork and quill stem-equipped bike, and it gives up nothing to my more modern bikes in ride quality and performance.

I also own an '85 Serotta Nova Special, '04 Colorado III, and in the past have owned a '91 Colorado TG, '99 Classique and a '92 Colorado II. Huge Serotta fan, all ride great IMO.

My CRL rides sublimely. It's as stiff as you could ever want in the drivetrain, yet comfortable for longer rides. The best description for the ride is 'high performance', and it is capable of being pushed as hard you can go. The geometry is dialed and perfectly neutral.

Based my research, the CRL only differs from the CR in that it has slightly lighter, more aggressively butted top tube, and they ride identically. Compared to your Gazelle, I think the CR would be a revelation to you.
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM
You still here?

IIRC, the CR turned into the CSi, which by many was considered the peak of Serotta's steel frames and one of the finest frames of the day.
Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM

thank you both this is just the info i was looking for. i think im gonna go for it especially at $470 shipped for frame, fork, and dura ace 7400 headset. seems like a no brainer.