Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 11:18 AM

GRX Di2 12 speed

Looks like it is finally going to be released.

https://www.gravelcyclist.com/videos...72fvbok68RDO7q
Old Today, 12:15 PM

Ugh, still wired-less.
Old Today, 12:26 PM

Haha, those levers are really ugly, why did they try and make something look blockey, tough and rugget?
Old Today, 12:31 PM

For a dummy like me, would this derailleur be compatible with Dura Ace r9270 shifters? A clutch derailleur sounds intriguing.
Old Today, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane4XC View Post
For a dummy like me, would this derailleur be compatible with Dura Ace r9270 shifters? A clutch derailleur sounds intriguing.
Difficult to know until Shimano releases it's E-tube compatibabilty charts, patients. 11 speed was, so likely 12 speed will.

Last edited by m_sasso; Today at 12:54 PM.
Old Today, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Haha, those levers are really ugly, why did they try and make something look blockey, tough and rugget?
They do look a bit odd I’ll admit but I suspect some of that is the exaggerations of the close up pictures.

FWIW, I have both 2x11 GRX Di2 and 1x11 GRX mechanical on a couple bikes and find the levers to be pretty comfortable.

The 2x11 groupset is pretty effective with the range and usability.
Old Today, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Those levers feel amazing in hand and use.

Form...function and all that.
Old Today, 01:48 PM

Personaly I use Di2 Dura Ace levers with a 11-speed DEORE XT DI2 Rear Derailleur, I get the clutch, greater cog capacity and the lever egronometry I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
They do look a bit odd I’ll admit but I suspect some of that is the exaggerations of the close up pictures.

FWIW, I have both 2x11 GRX Di2 and 1x11 GRX mechanical on a couple bikes and find the levers to be pretty comfortable.

The 2x11 groupset is pretty effective with the range and usability.
The 12's are much bigger than the 11's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Those levers feel amazing in hand and use.

Form...function and all that.
Tell me you tried out the 12's? The 11's are quite a bit smaller than the 12's.

Last edited by m_sasso; Today at 02:06 PM.
Old Today, 02:02 PM

Quote:
The 12 are much bigger than the 11's.

Tell me you tried out the 12's? The 11's are quite a bit smaller than the 12's.

I did in fact have a hand on one but did not get to ride it installed on a bike.

The waist is still not huge but the extra needed for the inner top secondary button does add bulk there. Also sorta similar to the new RED lever the top of the lever is easier to reach than 11 speed. Less effort to pull.
Old Today, 03:35 PM
Back At It!

the only issues I had with the GRX 11 was the length.. they made a bike I felt was already a bit long, too long for sure.. I don't mind a bit more height, but are they longer than the 11 as well (was hard to tell from the pics, but didn't look too different)
Old Today, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
the only issues I had with the GRX 11 was the length.. they made a bike I felt was already a bit long, too long for sure.. I don't mind a bit more height, but are they longer than the 11 as well (was hard to tell from the pics, but didn't look too different)
Agreed. They do seem to add length, so buyers should take this into account when choosing bars (reach) and stems.

As to the larger nature of the levers, I wonder if Shimano made hydraulic changes for better braking. As to the thickness of the place you grasp the levers, I find it fine. The mechanical ones are pretty big in front as well, but gripping the levers isn’t an issue. When riding I don’t notice any of this.

FWIW, the 11-speed mechanical 1x group I have is a super sweet shifting group. Were I in the market for a new 1x12 I’m not sure I wouldn’t just go with mechanical for the simplicity.
Old Today, 03:51 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonita View Post
Ugh, still wired-less.
Hey, that's clever!
Old Today, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Agreed. They do seem to add length, so buyers should take this into account when choosing bars (reach) and stems.

As to the larger nature of the levers, I wonder if Shimano made hydraulic changes for better braking. As to the thickness of the place you grasp the levers, I find it fine. The mechanical ones are pretty big in front as well, but gripping the levers isn’t an issue. When riding I don’t notice any of this.

FWIW, the 11-speed mechanical 1x group I have is a super sweet shifting group. Were I in the market for a new 1x12 I’m not sure I wouldn’t just go with mechanical for the simplicity.
What I found problematic with even the accuracy required for 11 speed mechanical was the convoluted cable routing through the fame and below freezing temperatures on my Cyclocross bike created cable binding and inconsistent gear selection. 12 speed mechanical, I would not even consider if you are riding in freezing temperatures and muddy/wet conditions.
Old Today, 04:27 PM

Quote:
What I found problematic with even the accuracy required for 11 speed mechanical was the convoluted cable routing through the fame and below freezing temperatures on my Cyclocross bike created cable binding and inconsistent gear selection. 12 speed mechanical, I would not even consider if you are riding in freezing temperatures and muddy/wet conditions.
My bike with the GRX 1x11 is pretty conventional, with external routing and traditional cable stops, so less chance to bind.
Old Today, 04:47 PM

I'm very happy to have cross compatibility between DA/Ultegra and GRX back. I like the "wired-less" solution which leads to smaller detailers and long battery life. How hard is it to run 2 wires?

For 1X, I would still choose the mechanical 12 speed option. I'm sure it works fine as it's not far from XTR 12 speed which has been flawless for me.