Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2024, 06:53 AM

Weird Problem - sit bone on saddle

Background -- 3 level lumbar fusion. Pelvis is not exactly straight, PT working this issue very slowly.

Problem, one sit bone is hitting the saddle uneven with the other one, causing discomfort.

Brook cadmium primarily used. Historically this saddle has been perfect.

Not sure if a good new pair of shorts, I do hate the one that are big diaper pads, would help. No idea what else to do. Don't want to toss money around with a dozen different saddles, but same body problem remains.

thoughts?
Old 06-03-2024, 07:12 AM

hmm.. maybe a saddle design if along the lines of Selle Italia's SP-01 with a split back (allowing a bit of independent movement for one side vs the other)?
https://www.amazon.com/Selle-Italia-.../dp/B07H4BCQ18

Last edited by RoosterCogset; 06-03-2024 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-03-2024, 07:38 AM

I have/had the same problem with my left sit bone due to a fractured pelvis. I currently use Shimano Pro Offroad saddles. They have some actual padding in them. The only knock I can say is that they're "sticky" as far moving fore and aft while riding. A couple of treatments with Armorall and it's good to go.
Old 06-03-2024, 08:41 AM

I had one sit bone causing discomfort on 6+ hour rides a few months back. Switched from a cutout channel saddle to a full support saddle (slight valley instead of open slot in the perineum region), with the thought of distribution of body weight over a larger area. Successfully resolved issues down there. But, also was replacing a 3yo 21kMile saddle (selle Italia model x). New is Selle Italia SLR Boost TI316.
Old 06-03-2024, 09:12 AM

I've had this too, shades of past discussions we've had on here about the Arione, the original version of the Arione allowed the edges to flex.

More recent ones are flatter and removed a lot of that flex. Right now I'm having an issue with mine (R3 Open IIRC) where it irritates my right sitbone. On top of everything else that saddle the "wings" are not the same, the right one wants to sit a little higher. Not sure if it sits weird in the rails or it's the shell. That might be something to look out for, check if one side of your saddle is sitting higher than the other.

After going for a fitting a month or so ago and realizing mine isn't even I'm looking at replacements and I think I might get the classic as it's the cheapest, normal rails, has the wing flex, etc.. and I don't think the cutout on the Arione actually works for me.. it's too hard and just creates a hotspot when I get down low.

I wish they still had the "VS" version that was relieved but not open. That one was very good for me. (I think I have that same issue where the cutout just puts too much localized pressure in one spot.)
Old 06-03-2024, 09:21 AM

I find almost any saddle with a cutout to put more pressure or emphasis on my sit bones where they ache usually after around 2 hours. I’ve tried many trying to find one that’ll work to allow more blood flow on long seated climbs or long pedaling sessions without moving much to replace my otherwise perfect Antares 00.

Pretty happy with my current Antares 00 vento but don’t have long rides yet on it, and very happy all day on the regular Antares 00. Not suggesting to try this one as it’s very thin…

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 06-03-2024 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-03-2024, 09:28 AM

Might investigate a 3D saddle like the Spec Mirror that is widely loved or even the Reform (heat moldable) saddles to address.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:15 AM

Ironically with respect to cut outs the only time I *ever* had a blood/numbness problem was trying wider saddles after endless pressure to try them. For me 130mm is the way to go. 130mm with the right shape the cutout absolutely makes zero difference.

I'm trying to remember, it might have been an Antares that did it, but I can't remember. I think Fizik used to have another wider saddle too but I can't remember.

The dumb thing with not immediately realizing my Arione was crooked was when I went for the fit this spring they had one of those pressure measuring pads they lay over the saddle and it was obvious on that but we didn't figure out the root cause at the time.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:18 AM

There's a chance (probably a good chance) that this is more of an issue of saddle position rather than the saddle itself. If there's a bit too much height _and/or_ setback for your current level of flexibility you will rock a bit on the saddle and that will typically manifest as "sitbone pain."

Given your mention of spinal fusion and slow PT progress I would be inclined to tweak position a bit before trying a new saddle.

I was just reminded of this recently when I switched saddles and in an effort to fix what I perceived as a problem added a bit more setback mid-ride. My left sit bone started screaming at me within a few miles and easing back on the adjustment a bit cured the problem.

Pop your saddle forward 5mm and see what happens.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap_az View Post
There's a chance (probably a good chance) that this is more of an issue of saddle position rather than the saddle itself. If there's a bit too much height _and/or_ setback for your current level of flexibility you will rock a bit on the saddle and that will typically manifest as "sitbone pain."

Given your mention of spinal fusion and slow PT progress I would be inclined to tweak position a bit before trying a new saddle.

I was just reminded of this recently when I switched saddles and in an effort to fix what I perceived as a problem added a bit more setback mid-ride. My left sit bone started screaming at me within a few miles and easing back on the adjustment a bit cured the problem.

Pop your saddle forward 5mm and see what happens.
^ Not terrible advice right there ^
Old 06-03-2024, 10:58 AM

Yah there can be a bunch of fit issues that cause it.

One hamstring tightening up or one side of your back being tight will skew how you sit. Those can be both fit issues or muscle imbalance issues or the two things having an interplay with each other.

The angle of the saddle (when looking lengthwise down the bike) can also have an effect! If it's even slightly crooked (can be hard to see) the "wings" of the saddle can be offset and it will act like one is higher than the other.
Old 06-03-2024, 01:06 PM

Thanks for all the replies, have some tuning trials to do, and get on the floor to stretch that left hamstring. You are right, that is the leg with less flexibility.
Old 06-03-2024, 01:11 PM

Try lowering your saddle. A lot, if not most, saddle issues come down to the saddle position rather than model.

Tim
Old 06-03-2024, 01:18 PM

Maybe have this done?
https://bikerumor.com/review-pressur...t-saddle-club/

No experience , but having similar problems.